No announcement yet.

Driving to Redline... bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had a talk with my dad about redlining the 318 today, and he has a complete distrust of redlining any car. From his experience he blew an f-150 and an old toyota pick-up motor, and just doesn't have faith in any engine. I need someone to drive him around at redline so he can see the light. He says that this engine isn't built how we think it is.

P.s. I'm surprised I'm not as pessimistic as he is. You know the "like father like son" thing...

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by av91oii View Post
      Just had a talk with my dad about redlining the 318 today, and he has a complete distrust of redlining any car. From his experience he blew an f-150 and an old toyota pick-up motor, and just doesn't have faith in any engine. I need someone to drive him around at redline so he can see the light. He says that this engine isn't built how we think it is.

P.s. I'm surprised I'm not as pessimistic as he is. You know the "like father like son" thing...
      Ford.. and those are both truck motors. They're built for low end torque, not high RPM power. I'm not surprised he blew up a ford at redline, which was probably only 5500rpm btw.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        Ford.. and those are both truck motors. They're built for low end torque, not high RPM power. I'm not surprised he blew up a ford at redline, which was probably only 5500rpm btw.
        Yea. I need to find someone who can make him believe the full potential of these cars.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by av91oii View Post
          Yea. I need to find someone who can make him believe the full potential of these cars.
          Show him that video!

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyG View Post
            Show him that video!
            I think blowing another motor is the last thing I want to show him lol.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

I was thinking about showing him this vid.

Good & Tight's Turbo m10.

Not my car, or vid. I downloaded this somewhere years ago and thought it was cool. 3:10-3:28 is particularly impressive, let the M10 haters chew on that.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

My eta sees 5,000 revs daily.

Comment

my car see 6k a few times a week.

7speedshop.com

Comment

I was kinda the same way for a little while with my E30.

But especially now that I have the E36 M42, I just love to rev it. The M42 loves to be up high and being below 3k makes the engine unhappy.
                    E30- 1989 325is

Comment

don't be a puss, and rev the engine

my auto m20 saw 5k daily, and WOT redline upshifts at least once a week.

and it still runs with 185k (the tranny, on the other hand...)
                      1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

With the m10 you aren't going anywhere unless you rev the piss out of it, seriously.

a big v8 is not the same thing as a small 1.8l .... look at motorcycle engines.
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

^haha no kidding. revving up to 4k in first gear gets me to 15mph.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Working...
                          X