Radiator upper sensor disconnected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radiator upper sensor disconnected

Hello everyone, This sensor has been disconnected for a while now and I am trying to fix it. Does anyone know what this sensor do? Does it relate to the fan speed in any way?

Click image for larger version

Name:	69835762_367563730823400_4090985684066631680_n.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	9864829
    Click image for larger version

Name:	69018515_509665276450803_5801529376898023424_n.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	9864830

It's the switch for the aux fan (the electric one in front of the rad)
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Its the dual temp switch, turns on the aux fan when the temp up, and can turn the fan on low or high speed. is your car a early or late model, they changed the wiring when the late model came out and the switch

Comment

Originally posted by D3R3K View Post
        Its the dual temp switch, turns on the aux fan when the temp up, and can turn the fan on low or high speed. is your car a early or late model, they changed the wiring when the late model came out and the switch
        Thanks for the info guys. Mine is a late model 1990. Should i just connect the 3 wires and see what happens?

Comment

you definitely should hook up those wires correctly... this keeps the car from overheating when driving around town....

Comment

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
            you definitely should hook up those wires correctly... this keeps the car from overheating when driving around town....
            Then, what does the fan clutch do, or what is the purpose of the fan clutch?

1990 325i
            2004 330i Individual 6-speed
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post

Then, what does the fan clutch do, or what is the purpose of the fan clutch?
              The clutch on the fan is designed to make the fan more effective as the viscous coupling heats up, and less when cold.

Comment

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
                Yes, I have noticed the heat creeps up when I am driving in town with it being 100 degrees outside. But it goes back normal when I am on the highway. Is there a diagram or something like that that shows which wire goes where?

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

The clutch on the fan is designed to make the fan more effective as the viscous coupling heats up, and less when cold.
                  I understand the purpose of the clutch in the fan clutch, but, maybe I should have been more specific. If the aux fan keeps the car from overheating, then why is the fan and it's clutch also a part of the system? What is it's purpose?
                  1990 325i
                  2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post

I understand the purpose of the clutch in the fan clutch, but, maybe I should have been more specific. If the aux fan keeps the car from overheating, then why is the fan and it's clutch also a part of the system? What is it's purpose?
                    I think they both have the same purpose. So when the clutch fan cant keep the temp down by itself, the aux fan turns on to help cool the engine down and turns off when the temp desired has been reached.

Comment

Originally posted by E3IS0 View Post

I think they both have the same purpose. So when the clutch fan cant keep the temp down by itself, the aux fan turns on to help cool the engine down and turns off when the temp desired has been reached.
                      Correct

wiring diagrams here

Comment

Working...
                      X