Is this a real Alpina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a real Alpina?

1985 BMW / Alpina C1/1 Exterior – looks good – paint and Alpina stripes have aged well. Alpina front and rear spoiler are in good condition. Interior – good shape with Recaro seats trimmed distinctive Alpina fabric; un-cracked dash; good door panels, Alpina MOMO steering wheel. Stereo not wired-up. Engine / Drivetrain – runs well. Transmission and clutch feel very good. Limited slip rear differential. Steering feels great. Suspension includes Alpina springs and unknown shocks/struts – front shocks are particularly firm/harsh.   OVERVIEW | WBAAD310901422655 June, 1985 – left factory as black / 2.0 liter 6-cyl / sport seats / M Suspension (see options) Built as an Alpina C1 2.3/1 First registered in Japan in 1988 – as BMW Alpina C1 2.3/1 Alpina interior badge: BMW/Alpina Typ C1/1-2.3  #199 Alpina engine-compartment badge: BMW/Alpina Typ C1/1-2.3 JAPAN Fahrgest Nr. 7542671 Alpina spoilers Front & [...]

I've been looking at this car for the past few days and I am pretty confused with what this car actually is. Did Alpina C1 2.3's come in sedans? Thanks for anyone that can help.

"In the early to mid-1980’s, Alpina both manufactured C1 in-house as well as offering a C1 kit to authorized build facilities. WBAAD310901422655 started life as a well-optioned M20 powered 6-cylinder 320i – sold new in Germany. The Alpina C1 2.3/1 parts include a build-plate in the engine compartment appears which appears to have originated with a different chassis (white 323 WBAAA810007542671). C1 parts may have been repurposed from a then nearly new (crash-damaged ?) coupe."

Based on this information...I'm going to say no. If it were a real Alpina, there would be no need to "repurpose" anything including a build plate from a real Alpina. Sounds like it's a regular 320i/6 with some Alpina parts.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

It continues to say:

"Japanese Alpina concessionaire Nicole is reported to have commissioned Alpina at Sytner in the UK to build second-hand cars into Alpina to supply the grey-market in Japan. And the C2 sedan parts would have been available when this car was built. This car was imported into Japan and first registered in 1988 as BMW Alpina C1 2.3/1."

Certain companies were licensed by Alpina to build genuine Alpina cars. For example, Hardy &Beck in Berkeley was a licensed to modify existing cars into genuine Alpina cars. The Alpina parts would be sent over and stocked until being installed on a customer's car. (They eventually lost their license and all their parts because they were building Alpina clones under the table.)

With that in mind, it's feasible that the parts were taken off a wrecked car to build a new car. I would guess that either Alpina, Nicole, or Sytner would have some records. I would definitely do the research before paying "genuine Alpina" money, but it may be a good deal at "Alpina clone" money.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Saw that car on LA craigslist, incase you where wondering.
          91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
          Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
          E30 can make you, E30 can break you
          "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Working...
          X