Someone break the bad news to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone break the bad news to me...

After finishing the oil return and feed, it looks like my oil return was welded at the wrong angle. Is there any salvaging this short of pulling the pan and rewelding a new bung on?

looks like the oil will be fighting gravity. My plan is to put a funnel on the top of the line and drizzle some oil down the hose with the drain plug out to see if it drains. Thoughts?

I'm in denial because I don't want to take the pan off, lining the scraper, and two gaskets was hard enough on the engine stand. Please help

EDIT: I didnt take a picture of it but the oil return line has a 1.5 feet of straight drop before this. maybe I'm being paranoid but I figure its better safe to ask
    Last edited by vtechnik; 03-09-2020, 10:32 PM.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Fluid seeks level, it will drain fine. A user on e30tech many years ago had a similar setup and replaced the braided hose with clear hose and ran the car. Video is on YouTube somewhere.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'm not an expert in oil drain lines, but I would think that would still drain correctly. Just take a look at the plumbing trap on any sink/toilet/fixture drain.

Comment

Ok thanks guys, that saved me a lot of time and stress. Just to be sure i'm gonna go pour a quart through the line and time how fast it takes. I figure if its less than 40 secs i should be good. I also am using a restrictor on my turbo so it shouldn't be too much oil in the return line.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

I had a similar scare recently, consensus is you'll likely be fine

Comment

^ thats what i needed to see, thank you! /thread

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Working...
            X