Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it possible to combine Leather Sport Seats and Leather Heated Seats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it possible to combine Leather Sport Seats and Leather Heated Seats.

I've got a 325ix with heated comfort seats, and a set of (convertible) leather sport seats without the heating element.

Has anyone ever combined the heating elements from comfort seats into the Leather sport seats?
    What was the process like and is it even worth it? I would probably want to reupholster the Sport seats anyways.

I'd also consider maybe trying to sell each of the seat pairs, in exchange for just looking for a tan set of heated tan seats. ( I have a spare set of recaros which could take the place. temporarily.

Heated comfort seats are in great shape, while the Leather Tan Convertible Sport seats are 6.5/10. Would be comfortable, but could definitely be reupolstered

I definitely want the heating element, because Colorado in winter stinks....

Let me know your thoughts/advice.. Thanks!
    [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
    Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Sure, elements can be swapped, but keep in mind thst these are really old, and new units would be a better solution long term.

Also, cloth is better than vinyl or leather in the winter.

Comment

You pretty much need to disassemble both sets of seats to the point you can remove the center section of the back and bottom, which involves removing the hog rings holding it to the frame.

You also need to consider the slider lever is offset on the iX to clear the tcase hump. I don't remember if that ends up being a problem or not when swapping seats though.

Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I put heated seat elements in my sport seats. Used these - Besond Universal car seat Heater Rectangle hi-Off-lo Switch Carbon Fiber Heater Element Two Seats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M635R9A/ and they worked very well. Switches look very OEM, same size and shape as factory.

Comment

Okay, Thank you guys for the advice. IX's really are complicated creatures.
          [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
          Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

The elements are built to fit between the seams and the listings (the metal rods that hold the fabric to the foam) so for instance on sports seats you cannot switch elements from horizontal seams to vertical. For this reason I'm skeptical that comfort seat heating elements will swap over to cabrio seats.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              You pretty much need to disassemble both sets of seats to the point you can remove the center section of the back and bottom, which involves removing the hog rings holding it to the frame. You also need to consider the slider lever is offset on the iX to clear the tcase hump. I don't remember if that ends up being a problem or not when swapping seats though.
              The drivers slide lever on non-ix seats can be bent to clear the hump. You'll either need factory heating elements for the sport seats or aftermarket. They will not be the same as the comfort seats. Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X