e30mclow's '88 Delphin - RSs & Low, the proven formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30mclow's '88 Delphin - RSs & Low, the proven formula

I figured this car deserves its own thread.

Here is the thread for the 1jz car that gets most of the love: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...6-speed/page15

One night in the summer of 2021 while perusing the local BMW facebook group, one of those ought after opportunities presented itself.
    A one owner, low mileage, all original '88 325iS in manual. A no brainer.
    There was lots of chatter but thankfully I was the first person that the seller deemed "serious" and it was meant to be.

Thankfully it was parked inside a garage for 20 years so it is rust free, a term that gets overused these days.

I wasted no time in getting it home, but sadly didn't have the room so something needed to go - thus the Pajero Evo lost its place :(

I sold the Evo off to the US, but am farrrr happier having a clean e30.

As the e30 hadn't been started in what must have been 18-20 years, I dropped the tank and started looking around.
    I found a replacement that I cleaned up while also refreshing the lines.

Take a look at hoe clean it is..

I quickly sorted out the missing spoiler and trunk paint situation:

With the tank in and some very basic maintenance, it fired to life under its own steam, which at least meant it was mobile.

It was always intended to be a slow burner of a project, but was made even slower by a cross-country move.

I had to hide the other one...

Now in a place with more space, I started collecting parts for a complete mechanical overhaul and suspension/brake upgrade.

I needed (that means I'm justifying things) to convert it to 5x120 as all my wheels are that pattern for the other car, and the cost of a conversion is about that of a set of wheels & tires anyway.

I cut down a spare set of e30 spindles ready for some coilovers and a hub conversion:

Cleaned up a spare rear subframe and rear trialing arms:

Amassed parts:

Did the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, and all accessory belts:

A bunch of new gaskets (look how clean it is inside the head):

Stripped and cleaned all removed, bolts, and fittings:

Converted the front spindles using the IRP kit. This is the second time I've used it and cannot fault it. The white car has seen a tough life and there has never been and issue.

The rear consisted of new e30 bearings with e46 325i brakes. All new handbrake hardware and an SRS Concept caliper adapter. Brand new OEM calipers too.

Diff Refresh:

BC Racing DS Series with 10k front and 12k rear

Cleaning and assembly:

Finally, sitting back and admiring..

It was missing something, so I cut and bent a piece of aluminum to fill the front plate void. This took 10-15mins and I nailed it on the first try lol

Over the last two weeks I've been preparing it for safety inspection as well as cleaning the interior. As of now, EVERYTHING works 100% - I've never had that before!

..and just in case anyone is wondering what an Alpina front spoiler looks like with diving boards, the answer is it looks very good IMO

sweet work man

Comment

Oh damn... Going to keep the M20 in this one?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Oh damn... Going to keep the M20 in this one?
        As much as I'd love to swap it, I can't justify it.
        Perhaps a turbo'd m50/52/54 down the road, but the contrast versus the other car is fun for now.

Comment

Delphin is just such a good color. Sweet car!

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

well done!
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Working...
            X