Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1994 Design Edition Touring

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to make a small introduction. I'm an American living in Germany and since selling my 135i a while back I've been looking for an E30 to pick up. Touring, of course! To find one without rust issues is getting rare and those cars fetch a big premium. But after months of looking, this 316i popped up at a decent price not too far away, and was advertised as rust-free. It's even a one-owner. So I threw the kids in the car and we made the trip to check it out. It's from a small town near France and we crossed just over the Rhine River to the family farm where it was being stored. Sure enough, there is nearly zero rust on it but just a couple dents to take care of. It's got some cool options like A/C and the violet sport interior. I drove it only about 100m through a field but given the minty condition and that it had a fresh TÜV inspection, that was enough. So we worked out a deal and the owner even delivered it to me the next day.

I'm excited to start working on it. First up is to fix several small issues with it like the sagging headliner, recovering the driver seat, and fixing a window regulator. Then it will get some nice wheels to replace the bottle caps (or "Gullideckel" - manhole covers - as the Germans call them), slight lowering, and eventually an engine swap. M60 swaps are faily common here and can be registered legally but I am thinking of going N52. It's almost the same power but lighter, more reliable, and now getting easier to find with a six speed. This is my first E30 so I'll be here a lot to learn and ask questions.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230808_132051.jpg Views:	0 Size:	220.2 KB ID:	10101560Click image for larger version  Name:	20230808_130629.jpg Views:	14 Size:	268.3 KB ID:	10101563
    Last edited by AlCLE; 08-13-2023, 07:15 AM.

Great find. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for this little wagon.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Good touring

Comment

Will it keep an 'OG' plate is the real question...

Comment

Nice find. My neighbour had this Design Edition version years ago. It was daytona violet and it had lots of rust problems. When was looking a E30 wagon for myself i went to see similar ones that my neighbour had and all of them were complete rustbuckets. This one on the other hand looks pretty good on pictures. Enjoy! :)
          Youtube https://www.youtube.com/@MisWorkshopBMW
          Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/misworkshop/

Comment

Originally posted by zoona View Post
            Will it keep an 'OG' plate is the real question...
            😄Unfortunately I had to change it. The letters before the space are tied to the county where you live ("Landkreis") so when I registered it, I had to get new tags.

So far, I've re-epoxied the aluminum guide rail on the driver's window and replaced the lock cylinder. I have a 40/20 lowering kit and wheels ready to go on next. I got some 17" Keskin KT3's and 16" Borbet T's... have to decide which I'll go with.

Comment

well done welcome to the club! looks like a great starting point.
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
              IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

I've been making slow but steady progress with the car. I went with the 17" Keskins and I think they look great with the drop up front. I kept the rear at about stock height. It took a couple rounds to get the suspension, wheels, and tires approved at TÜV but it's all legal now. I threw in a Blaupunkt stereo that I think matches the interior really well and have been enjoying cruising around since the winter is so mild.

At TÜV getting tire clearance checked.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20231004_152523.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	10114106

Name:	20231230_172543.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	10114107