Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polish usually does the trick. Nice work so far

Comment

Wow two year later update. I've never seen a dash cracked that bad ever lol. It was oddly creepy to look at, I have no clue why but it made my skin crawl. How's the car been to you?
      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
        Wow two year later update. I've never seen a dash cracked that bad ever lol. It was oddly creepy to look at, I have no clue why but it made my skin crawl. How's the car been to you?
        Well shit. I guess it's been another 2 years. Where does the time go? Yeah, the whole car was super fucking gross. The GF at the time wouldn't even sit in it. Let's see, what have I done in the past two years? I guess just a few minor things and a 5-speed swap? It took me about 1-2 months for the swap since I was taking my time and only working for an hour or so in the evenings after work and the occasional saturday/sunday.

Gathered some parts:

So it turned out that I had a terrible leak at my intake manifold because the gasket failed. So that was the first thing to do.

TB off:

Intake off:

Closeup of the problem:

The jobsite:

Got 3 out of 4 jack stands under when the jack gave out. I ran to the corner store, found some power steering fluid and filled up the jack with that. Work ok?

Exhaust unbolted and off:

Drive shaft and guibo off:

Ripped the tranny off, the torque converter stayed :/ :

Time to use my new toy (impact wrench) on the flywheel bolts!!!

New 4:10 lsd diff to replace the old open diff (no more 1 tire fire!!!):

All packed up after working, it's amazing how much can fit in the trunk!

My attempt for putting in a tranny by myself on my back. It worked great for the diff, but i just couldn't get this bitch in place. So I yelled for my neighbor (massive marine) to come help. He held it up and we wrestled with it for a while before he got tired of holding it and just slammed it in place. I was much impressed.

Re-gasketed 5-speed in (had to borrow said neighbor's big-boy impact wrench to get the output flange off):

I destroyed the oil pan gasket replacing the horseshoe seal. Then the store gave me an m5x gasket for my m20. Finally got the right one, and here is my solution for lifting the engine to get the pan past the pump/subframe:

jackstands vs. no-jackstands:

got some new engine mounts:

Considering a skidplate...

lightened flywheel:

used clutch:

pressure plate on:

Let the car down for the night so neighbors/landlord wouldn't know the extent of my work since I was renting an apartment. Well, the damn thing slid forward off the last stand since I was working on a slope. So, time to borrow the marine's chain and use Scotty to two Luna to a good spot for more work (also, notice my dog with glowing eyes in the door):

I know I have more pics. I just have to find them. Project is all done and Luna (coupe) has been my daily since I fractured the oil pan in Scotty (vert). The only issue is that I have a rhythmic clunk that starts around 10mph and increases in frequency as I drive faster. It's super fucking annoying, but I'm also super fucking lazy so I've just been dealing with it. It's probably an axle or drive shaft. I also think some front ball joints/shock mounts have given up due to the thunks I get when going over bumps. This bitch will never be done...
        Last edited by McGyver; 11-19-2014, 08:08 AM.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Love seeing people do this in such crazy spots. The work done in a driveway or parking lot is inspirational. Now DONT make us wait 2yrs for an update.

Comment

at least the kidneys look great! haha - nice work saving it!
            91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
            ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

In for more updates. Nice work! Personally, I wouldn't have even thought of working on the ground there, looks all wet from the leaves holding moisture? Regardless you seem to be getting work done!

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
              1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
              1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
              1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
              1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
              1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
              Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
              1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
              1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Oh, I forgot that I also changed out my strut mounts and CABs while I was doing all this work. Unfortunately something in the suspension is shot thanks to shitty Richmond roads combined with my driving and stiff springs. And yeah, it was super shitty working on the wet ground (which is why it took me so long to do the swap). But, I had started it and couldn't turn back.

Also, went out with a few friends to an empty parking lot and get a little weight reduction on some old tires. It was pretty fun, my e30, a friend's e36m3, and a 650cc stunt bike burning off tires. Best part was having a safe place to practice some car control when sliding.

Also, after I was done and switching back to my daily tires, the damn muffler fell off because both rubber doughnuts died. I ended up having to drive home with some speaker wire holding everything up, but i made it!
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

the way you held up the green car w the bronzit is so hilarious! hahaha
                  91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                  ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
                    the way you held up the green car w the bronzit is so hilarious! hahaha
                    Oh no, the green car is on jack stands, you can see a blue one in the bottom right corner. I had just parked under the green car a bit.

Also, it seems like my throwout bearing is about to explode, so I guess it's time to fix the vert so I have a daily while the coupe is under the knife. again.
                    sigpic

Comment

Are you done with this yet!?
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

no, because I'm lazy and impulsive with money. So never save for parts and fix shit when it happens. So i end up only driving one car until it's so bad i'm forced to fix the other car so i have a daily why my current car is getting repaired.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                          no, because I'm lazy and impulsive with money. So never save for parts and fix shit when it happens. So i end up only driving one car until it's so bad i'm forced to fix the other car so i have a daily why my current car is getting repaired.
                          You do that too!?

We have more in common than you thing....

Touring lover.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                            lover.
                            wait. what? ok...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                              wait. what? ok...
                              Wait yeah ok.

Done yet?

Comment

So many things have changed since 2014. I moved from that apartment to a place that had a covered parking spot in Richmond, VA. Then moved to Oakland, CA where I didn't have a garage. Then moved to a place in Oakland with a garage. Then got forced outta that building and ended up in San Francisco without a garage.

I'll make a couple of posts to catch up with all the work that's happened in the past 6 years, but for now, here's the daily (sedan) and the fun car (coupe) at the last place in Oakland.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X