No announcement yet.

My iX + what i've done so far...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha gotta find something to keep busy. The dresser came out nicely.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

What if you cut the holes in the back seat but left the houndstooth fabric intact and maybe put a grill over the hole. You'd uncover the rear seat, put the hole through the foam, create some type of grill or cover for the ports and then recovered the seat in the original houndstooth again. That way your sound should be better, you don't have to cut up the houndstooth, and also the grills will help prevent the houndstooth from tearing or getting punctured.
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
        What if you cut the holes in the back seat but left the houndstooth fabric intact and maybe put a grill over the hole. You'd uncover the rear seat, put the hole through the foam, create some type of grill or cover for the ports and then recovered the seat in the original houndstooth again. That way your sound should be better, you don't have to cut up the houndstooth, and also the grills will help prevent the houndstooth from tearing or getting punctured.
        That's exactly what me and a friend of mine were talking about last week. I'm def considering something along those lines. Thanks for the insight!
        www.instagram.com/snwmble
        #snwmble

Current:
        '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
        '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
        '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
        '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
        '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
        '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
        '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
        '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Yes, that's the best way to go about getting the sound in the car without damaging the houndstooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by E30darkknight View Post
            Yes, that's the best way to go about getting the sound in the car without damaging the houndstooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Still on the fence to be honest. Finally had some free time today and installed the rear houndstooth headrests.

#snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

that seat is perfection. very happy for you man.

As to the function of the horns, it's the runner length that's important. since their diameter is so smal they'll actually focus high frequencies in a straight beam, so you should low pass filter your signal through them. as to whether the horns actually transmit bass better - i seriously doubt it.

if you have a way to PROVE to yourself that they sound better than not having them, then go for it. you'll know then if it's really worth cutting your foam...

re leaving the cloth in front and hollowing out the center for the horns... that could work but you'd have to leave at least an inch of foam in front of them. low frequencies will pass through anyway - I'm a EE with some training in acoustics so I know what I'm saying here.
              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                that seat is perfection. very happy for you man.

As to the function of the horns, it's the runner length that's important. since their diameter is so smal they'll actually focus high frequencies in a straight beam, so you should low pass filter your signal through them. as to whether the horns actually transmit bass better - i seriously doubt it.

if you have a way to PROVE to yourself that they sound better than not having them, then go for it. you'll know then if it's really worth cutting your foam...

re leaving the cloth in front and hollowing out the center for the horns... that could work but you'd have to leave at least an inch of foam in front of them. low frequencies will pass through anyway - I'm a EE with some training in acoustics so I know what I'm saying here.

Oh man I don't doubt ur knowledge on it at all! I have to be honest, I secretly like the look of the horns in the seat :hitler: I guess I've gotten so used to the armrest on most of the e30s I've owned, so not having something in the middle just looks plain Jane to me. I know myself, if I don't do it now, I will do it within 6 months from now....so only time will tell if I love it or hate it
                #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

Houndstooth tie I got in Italy last summer
                  #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

Thanks to Miguel (m3replicacabrio), my replacement bolsters were replaced w donors I got years ago.

Can't wait to get these bad boys in!

#snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

just perfect. been waiting 2+ years for you to do this interior upgrade. planning to hang that tie on your mirror?
                      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                        just perfect. been waiting 2+ years for you to do this interior upgrade. planning to hang that tie on your mirror?
                        Lol thanks. Ur giving me oceans on making a tie w some extra fabric I have;D
                        #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

Google maps has a nice pic of my E30

Painted red tails, hand buffed.
                          #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

Interior looks nice. You can run the horns from the 10 speaker to the rear deck too. Cut the holes. That's another option. Hope to see the car this summer. I hope to make the Saratoga car meet this year.

Comment

Originally posted by GT BMW E30 View Post
                              Interior looks nice. You can run the horns from the 10 speaker to the rear deck too. Cut the holes. That's another option. Hope to see the car this summer. I hope to make the Saratoga car meet this year.
                              Thanks bro! U were clutch in giving me ur spare bolsters!
                              #snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

There's no turning back now. I cut it and love it. Def gonna get a lot of hate for it but at the end of the day it's something I've been wanting to do :)

#snwmble

Current:

Past:

Comment

Working...
                                X