Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by george graves View Post
    Tech advice from stanceworks?
    Who said anything about 'tech advice'? I referenced a thread asking the thousands of daily driving 'homostancers' if they've ever popped a tire or had any inconvenience because of stretch. The overwhelming answer was 'no, retard, of course not, I've had this setup for x or xx amount of years with zero problems.' Maybe some people let their tires get low on air and blow out the sidewall. Happens with or without stretch, more of a low profile thing. You should know a thing or two about personal experiences with all your e30 experience. Have you ever driven a car with really insanely stretched tire? 225/40ish on a 17x9.5? It's not bad as long as you don't care about traction.

My buddy with a 350whp supercharged e46 330 has an open diff and 225/40/18s on 9", hooks up just fine in 1st and 2nd, better than the worn 255s they replaced, easier to throw into a 'drift' at speed, etc. etc.

185/40s on a 17x8 with spacer, or whatever, is where it starts getting ghetto/stupid, and that's what you really despise deep down. Stretch is perfectly functional and awesome as long as the contact patch is wide enough and the profile is correct. It's not for everybody obviously, but christ it's not the end of all e30s

Anyway I suppose that's just my 'opinion'. But you e30 guys are fucking ruthless when it comes to everything stanceworks and it's a little saddening because there's no real base for it. The stanceworks 'ideal' for an e30 rear is 265 on a 10.5, and we can all agree that's badass. Don't mean to sound like a tool bag but c'monnnnnnnnnn.

edit: I'll also add that the 215s on a 10 is about the limit of what I'd trust.. my comments above are more directed toward the general lack of an understanding attitude here from the pisser-onners
    Last edited by hi its me alec; 01-24-2011, 01:14 AM.

WTB: early e30 sedan front doors

Comment

Here are a few pics I got sent from alex today.

Turbo M42 Build thread:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

Comment

What's the colour?

Paint looks good. This is getting an MT1 kit, yarly?
        Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Originally posted by hi its me alec View Post
          there isn't one documented case of tire failure 'because of stretch.' i'll defend that to my grave because i really didn't like the look at first either. but you guys are buffoons. there's a fairly large thread on stanceworks, the stretched tire battle fortress, and there are zero people with failure in years and years and years of driving.
          lol. Of course nobody is going to admit it if they've had issues. When I installed tires there were documented cases of tires unseating themselves, and because of that, we were only allowed to install tires that fell into a specified fitment range for the width of the wheel. Running 60psi+ might keep the tire on the wheel, but tires are not supposed to run that high, and that just introduces other problems. Keep telling yourself whatever you want though. The whole fad is still gay. ;)
          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

lol @ the people who are straight up trollin this thread.

Its really not that bad.
            Originally posted by HarryPotter
            not to be racist but i've had multiple african americans comment on how they love my car. I've seen pics of e30's rolling through africa with at least 15-20 africans on them with ak-47's. WILD. its in the african blood. Hope this wasn't too racist, forgive me as I am intoxicated.
            Instagram: @jstnlws

Comment

I like everything about it.

Cept that wheel fitment. Yikes.
              Nice work with the guards though.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
                What's the colour?

Paint looks good. This is getting an MT1 kit, yarly?
                Mtech1 Kit yes, Colour is a fiat colour

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

This thread does need more pics :D

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                  lol. Of course nobody is going to admit it if they've had issues. When I installed tires there were documented cases of tires unseating themselves, and because of that, we were only allowed to install tires that fell into a specified fitment range for the width of the wheel. Running 60psi+ might keep the tire on the wheel, but tires are not supposed to run that high, and that just introduces other problems. Keep telling yourself whatever you want though. The whole fad is still gay. ;)
                  - Me telling myself? Takes 60 psi to keep the tire on the wheel? Naw dude, what kind of moron really does that? Let me talk some more about my personal experience. Stretched tires run factory pressure, sometimes I do +2 or +3 just in case, but that's only because I have low pro 19s. 36 psi all day. Zero problems here; the only people naysaying are those who haven't tried it. Nobody is looking back and saying 'oh man i hated that stretch, it was terrible and so very illegitimate.' It feels perfectly normal unless you take the car to its 80-90% limit. i.e. It's great for daily highway driven stanced out sick whips. Also another tidbit, less contact patch = more weight per square inch of tire = better traction cut in the rain/snow. Try driving an audi in snow with 17x9 square and stretched snow tires. It's pretty insanely fun. 17x7 would be a little better but meh it looks waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles. Then drive a Z06 with 305s in the rain for teh lulz. It's like hockey pucks. Or for comparison's sake, the aforementioned audi with a 285 square setup in the rain. I bet you a 225 square would be better wet skidpad than 285. Most people don't think of that so I figure it's worth mentioning.

- Oh and plenty of tires of all sizes unseat themselves for whatever reason, my dad's 540 got brand new michelin pilot sports in factory 17" sizes and the tire unseated itself right away, leaked like a motherfucker and we dealt with it. My e30 has 14" winter bubble tires with 2500 miles on them, and the tire unseated itself on the coldest day of the year, 0 psi, filled back up, no leak. The wheel wasn't bent in either case, but sometimes the bead just leaks or breaks.
                  You can say "I told you so" when he shows the car in a ditch with the tire halfway off the rear wheels, but until that starts happening, you've got nothing to go on. Tires are tires, if the bead is sealed and doesn't have a reason to come off, then it won't. It's not like it's inclined to pop off when it hits a nasty pothole, the tire tread and sidewalls absorb the impact and the temporary displacement moves air outward toward the lips and around the tire where no downward force is exerted. If the size isn't extreme enough to break the bead on the inside (i.e. 185 on a 16x11 not being able to stretch the sidewall far enough,) the tire only needs to be seated in the corner where the lip and barrels come together in order to be safe, and at that point you have insane mega stretch. Extreme 'bubbling' of the tire (i.e. 285 on 8.5) is more inclined to make the bead break (and send the tire off the lip of the wheel) than any crazy stretch setup you'll ever see on the forums. I say stretch is the lesser extreme when compared to bubbles of the same extreme.

- Oh and my used 235/35/19 on a 10 inch wheel never leaked once, and I drove on them from September to April without a hiccup or damage, in Minnesota, down the worst highway in the metro area (idk maybe the state (it's ravaged by the freeze/thaw cycle,)) 60 miles daily to work, without even bending a wheel, at the lowest setting my car has ever been. So I hope you know I'm not talking out of my ass by defending this 'fad,' as you put it. Best part is, after that winter I got new lower offset wheels, raised the front end up a little bit more and all is well with the world. I can send you pictures of the slammed car pwning winter on stretched summer 50% tread kumhos if you want to see them.

Cliffs: dislikers gonna dislike. I tried not to pollute this kewl thread with all this emo diatribe of waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswafflesry. But I'm fighting the good fight because I've been doing it for a minute or 2 now, and think it's legit to make nice cars look as "good" as possible without sacrificing too much in the process. If you don't like the way it looks, that's cool, tell me all about the angle of the sidewall and its displeasing features. Tell me it doesn't caress cloverleafs like it used to, and how you think that's a shame, and I wouldn't disagree with you there. But then I would personally say "That's what my track wheels, fully built suspension and adjustable coilovers are for" or similar. OP should let us know what the handling is like with new setup, since the contact patch is still hella bigger than stock and all.
                  Last edited by hi its me alec; 01-25-2011, 02:51 PM.

WTB: early e30 sedan front doors

Comment

Dude, your car is too bad@$$. don't listen to what others say, to each their own.

props to you.

Video I made of my car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGg8GixF8Ds

Comment

yeah dude. Props for doing something new. Haters gonna hate. Especially when its not mtech2 + bbs. Which seems to be all you see on this forum.

Comment

need more pics, make with the pics already...
                        PBMW Magazine. PVW Mag

Fender Rolling for dirt cheap in SoCal. Hit me up.

Check out my work...

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=165114

Comment

Some stuff is starting to go back together now.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

looks great man!!! keep it up!

1988 325is S50 in-progress.
                            http://www.facebook.com/E30LocalCrew
                            Few pictures:
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255061

Comment

that chit is hott i <3 your car
                              sigpic:hitler:

Comment

Nice Bulid there Alex.
                                Maybe this could be an idea for the M30b35?

Last edited by rav320uk; 01-30-2011, 04:59 AM.
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

If you have bought items from me, please leave feedback below.
                                If you are a BUYER, Check My Feedback.:up:
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=183860

Check out my Euro Build Thread
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215557

Comment

Working...
                                X