No announcement yet.

Gabriel's 1991 318i sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant the DS :( But M42's are cool too. I'm just sticking to mine for fiscal reasons.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

damn, more close ups of that rustoleum paint job! you guys have tennis elbow yet?

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
        I meant the DS :( But M42's are cool too. I'm just sticking to mine for fiscal reasons.
        This car was not DS. It was 50 shades of black.

No tennis elbow yet. I still finishing all the trim pieces before wet sanding again.

M52B28 OBD1 - G240 - S4.10
        Stuff for Sale: 24v swap parts

Comment

Car looked good today Gabe

Comment

The M42 lives on!

Good to see the sedan look pretty. I'm actually considering the roller method at this point... My original plan was to do the prep and let Maaco spray it, but this would probably turn out just as well. How do you feel it turned out Gabe?
            75' M42 Powered 2002
            AW 318is

Comment

^ awesome. lets see some more of your 2002!
              I dream of someday m42 swapping an 02.
              perfect choice.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Alex,

#1: holy carp, my brain is stuck on my old M42 is sitting in a 2002! Congrats on pressing through with filthy grimy hands to accomplish that swap! You've made the car yours!

Rolling a car is condemning it to death. Short of an acid bath, it can never be repainted with automotive paint. Realizing that; its a very cheap, easy and forgiving way to take a car with 20 years of neglect and make it look good from 10+ feet.

Also, Rustoleum is an 'oil based 'paint, so don't leave bare metal beneath it.

Edit:
                Heres a pic as it sits today. Maybe I should black out the kidneys and headlamp rings.
                Last edited by rightcoastbias; 05-02-2013, 06:11 PM.

M52B28 OBD1 - G240 - S4.10
                Stuff for Sale: 24v swap parts

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                  ^ awesome. lets see some more of your 2002!
                  I dream of someday m42 swapping an 02.
                  perfect choice.
                  Trust Me, you don't want to see anymore in it's current state. I don't think there's a single pleasant thing about the car visually. I've got a project blog up on the FAQ, but when I start stripping it I might make a thread over here.

Originally posted by rightcoastbias View Post
                  Alex,

#1: holy carp, my brain is stuck on my old M42 is sitting in a 2002! Congrats on pressing through with filthy grimy hands to accomplish that swap! You've made the car yours!

Rolling a car is condemning it to death. Short of an acid bath, it can never be repainted with automotive paint. Realizing that; its a very cheap, easy and forgiving way to take a car with 20 years of neglect and make it look good from 10+ feet.

Also, Rustoleum is an 'oil based 'paint, so don't leave bare metal beneath it.

Edit:
                  Heres a pic as it sits today. Maybe I should black out the kidneys and headlamp rings.
                  It's definitely nice to be driving it again. The swap itself really wasn't a challenge at all. My biggest setback was simply acquiring a G240, after that it was smooth sailing. I'm having some rough running and erratic start up issues, but I think that's mostly due to the advanced timing and old ignition parts.

I'm going to start plucking out the front and rear subframes this weekend for a suspension overhaul. The profile gasket is leaving puddles on the garage floor so, "while I'm in there", I'm going to go ahead and do a timing overhaul and I might pop in some new rod and main bearings. Hopefully I'll have it done before Vintage...

Speaking of Vintage, are you going?
                  75' M42 Powered 2002
                  AW 318is

Comment

Working...
                  X