Turning an E into an I..Car Progress Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day Whatever.

Smoke....we don't have cranking..we have smoke...something to do with the starter circuit....black and yellow wire went up in flames behind the dash. Yet everything is wired correctly.

More to come when I figure the fucking thing out

Comment

Sorry to hear that... :(

Did you ground the engine block to the chassis? I had the same problem, but no fire. I caught it right away.
      Originally posted by Simon S
      When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

You PNW guys are some shady looking dudes.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
          You PNW guys are some shady looking dudes.
          They grow differently in the cool damp climate.

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

James, when you do replace those seats. Seeing as there so ugly and all. I can just take them off your hands. :D

-Nathan
            PNW E30 CREW ///

Comment

Originally posted by Mtriple

Did you ground the engine block to the chassis? I had the same problem, but no fire. I caught it right away.
              Yeah I did, and after the smoke I checked all wiring and everything checks out. I'm really confused at this point.

The wire that went up in flames was Black/Yellow, smaller gauge when teh starter black/yellow wire. so I would say 22awg. and went from a single connector off a relay, through the firewall and into the fusebox.

oh and my ABS light is on now, so I think it took the relay with it.

The rest of the electrical is working with that wire disconnected. I traced it and I THINK (keyword) that it goes to the K5 and K6 unloader Relays, bottom pin (if your looking at it from the driver side of the car)...

I'm goign to trace and replace teh wire tonight, I'm using a 325e starter, which has slightly different wiring, but its just connector size and not actually function..

More to come

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone
                Originally posted by Mtriple

Yeah I did, and after the smoke I checked all wiring and everything checks out. I'm really confused at this point.

The wire that went up in flames was Black/Yellow, smaller gauge when teh starter black/yellow wire. so I would say 22awg. and went from a single connector off a relay, through the firewall and into the fusebox.

oh and my ABS light is on now, so I think it took the relay with it.

The rest of the electrical is working with that wire disconnected. I traced it and I THINK (keyword) that it goes to the K5 and K6 unloader Relays, bottom pin (if your looking at it from the driver side of the car)...

I'm goign to trace and replace teh wire tonight, I'm using a 325e starter, which has slightly different wiring, but its just connector size and not actually function..

More to come
                James- the black/yellow does go from the starter to the Unload relays. Went through this after a weird issue with only certain power accessories working after the new starter install. Turned out the old starter had a build in jumper that the new one did not.
                Chris
                90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Well, this wire is not as thick as that yellow/black wire.

This one is around 22awg.

I have not got my volt meter in there yet to see where it routes..but I presume it all connects to the same circuit.

my car was made in 04/86 when BMW did that design/update cutoff, so it has a weird hybrid kinda design.

Comment

finish your damn car already -_-
                    Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                    Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen
                      your one to talk lol

Comment

your one to talk lol
                        heh, we might be able to get a group discount on a car trailer to the picnic
                        Grant Wescott
                        1991 Sterling Silver 325iX stock (daily driver)
                        1991 Black 325i stock (parts)

"Eine Wurst, drei Größe"

Comment

Originally posted by Grant
                          your one to talk lol
                          heh, we might be able to get a group discount on a car trailer to the picnic
                          You got AWD...lemme rig up a trailer hitch :twisted:

Comment

You can put one of the oversized load sign on my car cause it actually runs. :D
                            sigpic

Comment

At exactly 8:57pm, Wed, August 10th, 2005, my 1986 325i roared to life, open headers and all.

Car will move tonight under its own power.

Cause of electrical pop, unloader relay splice that didn't work correctly

Comment

Fucking Schweet!

See you at the picnic!
                                PNW E30 CREW ///

Comment

Working...
                                X