Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

r3ved....

My oil pan :-(

No warning of the torn up concrete ahead other than two orange cones off to the side. The Raceskids skid plate had held up to a lot of abuse, but got hit in a weak spot here. I had driven this road last a few weeks prior, and this construction wasn't here. All the railroad crossings had a habit of looking much worse than they actually were, so I didn't think to slow down. Welp.

I was actually on my way to Robert's place to help drop an oil pan on a 330i. Thankfully he had road side assistance and got me a free tow, and has a spare oil pan. She'll be back on the road tomorrow.

Hit hard enough to knock out my kidneys!

You had me worried your car was r3vd, its still the background on my phone .

Atleast you got a spare pan. Your 24v right? Pans arnt to easy to come by.
    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

You lost control of your oil pan?

Douche-ness aside, that sucks. Skid plate time.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

US roads-1
        skid plate-0

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
          You lost control of your oil pan?

Douche-ness aside, that sucks. Skid plate time.

look closer!:(

Comment

raceskids... waste of money.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
            ---------------------------------
            89 E30 S52
            ---------------------------------
            Transaction Feedback.

Comment

No, it isn't. I'd have killed this oil pan 8 times over had it not been for that skid plate.

Nine lives, I guess. At least I get a fancy paper weight out of the deal! Just going to hunt the local Pull-a-Parts for another e34 pan to replace Robert's. Maybe pick up myself another spare too. Definitely going to drive more carefully from here on out - I've never busted an oil pan before, so I usually didn't drive as cautious as I should have.

Comment

Originally posted by bernzpeed View Post
                raceskids... waste of money.
                looks like it more like for rocks in the road :)
                84 318I Delphin RIP
                87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Maybe check out the e30 motorwerks one from Robert on e30tech. I have that one and it's held up well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anguz View Post
                    look closer!:(
                    Oh dang, I are teh blinds.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

IMO, the best way to avoid a broken oil pan is to just drive more carefully. But sometimes things happen that you just can't avoid! There is construction like that around my house, they just removed the fucking road without warning. Now I slow down to 5mph (in a 45) to go over the bumps - really pisses people off.
                      -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                        Now I slow down to 5mph (in a 45) to go over the bumps - really pisses people off.
                        I absolutely hate having to do that because I just know someday there will be some waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles on her phone, while drinking some Starbucks and eating a pastry behind me. Granted what I'm doing is probably illegal...

/stereotype-filled post

Comment

I've have some REALLY hard impacts that the plate has shrugged off. The nature of this particular impact (while also being extremely hard) just hit on a weak point in the raceskids design. The severe duty skidplates I've seen are definitely stronger, but saying that the Raceskids plate is a waste of money is quite an exaggeration. I'll show better pics of how and why it failed tomorrow.

Comment

Man :( But yeah, never understood the hate on the hate on raceskids. Mine has taken 40-50mph hits on autocross tracks, metal plates sticking up 2 inches at 60mph... You name it, its saved me haha.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
                              Man :( But yeah, never understood the hate on the hate on raceskids. Mine has taken 40-50mph hits on autocross tracks, metal plates sticking up 2 inches at 60mph... You name it, its saved me haha.
                              It's because it's mounted to the Radiator support, I don't know why anyone would mount it that way, you hit something hard enough it destroys your rad support, radiator and your oil pan. Severe Duty skidplate is the way to go.
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                              VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Working...
                              X