No announcement yet.

A Non-Intersting College Budget '91 Calypso Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This weekend I leave back for school so no pictures were taken of our adventures with the car. We put in all new locks so I have a matching key; Ignition, doors, glovebox, trunk. I also went to the junkyard and stole a almost rust free cat section for $16!!!!! I was pretty hyped about that and got it on in no time.

Now onto another issue, my damn knocking up front. It seems no matter how much work and money I put into the car something else arises. Here's a video of my issues. https://flic.kr/p/qyuQnP
    1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
    BMW

Comment

Do you like that color on the needles? I tried painting mine that color and didn't like it, they were too candy so I went orange.

Looks like you did well on the tails.

Get your electrics all figured out?

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
        Do you like that color on the needles? I tried painting mine that color and didn't like it, they were too candy so I went orange.

Looks like you did well on the tails.

Get your electrics all figured out?
        Yeah I love the needles! I used a testors brand from a hobby store at home and brush painted the needles as well I could. I actually wet sanded the tails and re-painted because they came out heavy and the clear was coming off for some reason. Yeah I did, faulty f***ing starter part. Got it fixed though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

You have a nice car sir.
          sigpic
          Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
          1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
          Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Originally posted by Zreberlcoe View Post
            Yeah I love the needles! I used a testors brand from a hobby store at home and brush painted the needles as well I could. I actually wet sanded the tails and re-painted because they came out heavy and the clear was coming off for some reason. Yeah I did, faulty f***ing starter part. Got it fixed though!

Yeah, I used the Testors as well.

Did you use outdoor automotive clear? Testors clear can't handle the UV rays.

Comment

Originally posted by 613EDRTY View Post
              You have a nice car sir.

Thank you sir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Yeah, I used the Testors as well.

Did you use outdoor automotive clear? Testors clear can't handle the UV rays.

I used this stuff.

1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Zreberlcoe View Post
                  I used this stuff.

Yeah, use an automotive clear. That stuff can't handle the UV's.

Comment

Yeah, use an automotive clear. That stuff can't handle the UV's.

Welp. That'll be another time haha, I hope it'll stay for a while.

1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

I dont have much of an update, but if anyone can tell I mostly have updates when I have money lol.

Due to landing a job as an apprentice for a local German car shop, I have money. The ESM's held their reputation as fake wheels when the clear coat started to fail on the lips. (Just one spot of many)

I thought about finding other wheels but after putting the car on an actual lift for the first time, I took note of an insane amount of work needs done still. And for fucks sake I need to get these studded snow tires off.

Also I made a short list of just things I found with a quick look over.

So to start off the list I am going to refinish the wheel lips. I found a good write up on stanceworks.com forum page for refinishing lips and polishing so I gave that a go. Started off by removing/breaking off the previous rivets so I can do the sanding and clear coat removing on the lips. I'll be replacing these with ESM's replacement gold rivets.

All of the clear coat needs to come off to get down to the bare metal, but I don't want to spray any stripper on the center. So I carefully taped off the centers of the wheels.

Masked up

Sprayed the stripper on

After I washed the stripper off and got the clear coat off I put the wheels away for the night and will continue on them tomorrow with an update of how far I will have gotten. My goal is to sand down the small amount of curb rash I have on two wheels, as well as sand down the machined lines (if possible) on all the wheels so when I polish I can get that mirror shine. If some of you are confused as to why I am doing this to such cheap wheels and spending any sort of money of them, it's for experience and resale value. Obviously these wheels wont sell for a lot of money but they will sell for more after being refinished than what they are now. Also for when the day comes that I get a real set of 3 piece wheels I most likely will not have money for already refinished ones, so I'm using the experience on these for future knowledge and skill.

Thanks, Zack.
                      Last edited by Zreberlcoe; 03-21-2015, 11:52 PM.
                      1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Love this color. Congrats
                        sigpic

Comment

Progress on the wheels. Well wheel, because I have only finished one so far. I wanted to do the whole process on one so I could learn for the next three.

Photo dump of the sanding process:

]

Drilled out all of the fake rivets on the fake wheels. ESM is charging $1 for every rivet needed to be replaced, and there are 100 rivet holes. When I originally Emailed them about the clear coat failing problem, they pretty much said that sucks and wet sand it. As I was irritated with that already, I emailed them again about more poor quality and asked for a compensation on the rivet replacement price. They offered $75 so I think I'm going to take it while I can get it. They are fake, no need to get upset right?

Also after searching through Oreilly's, Home Depot, and Lowes I could not find buffing wheels nor Polishing rouge. Whats even more frustrating is Harbor Freight is the only place I could find the tools and rouge... All in one.

Anywho, polishing rouge is a miracle compound.
                          First run:

Second run:

I'm home for spring break now so I don't think much work is going to be done on the wheels for another several days. But before I left I changed the oil and replaced both coolant temperature sensors in hopes to help the car from running rich.

Again I post a lot on instagram, give me a follow! @zrec_e30

Thanks, Zack
                          1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

The Popped Cherry - Calypso E30 - Updated 1/11/2015

Got more parts😏

Also;)

1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

I would recommend using excel to make spreadsheets like that.

EDIT:

I made one for you because your chicken scratch was pitiful:

You should be able to download it and open it in excel.
                              Last edited by csermonet47; 04-21-2015, 11:33 AM.
                              Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

Haha it was a quick scribble I was making while looking at parts prices from work man. But thanks!

1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Working...
                                X