A Non-Intersting College Budget '91 Calypso Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zreberlcoe View Post
    Anyone have ideas about what color to do my valve cover?? I'm debating on gold but I feel iffy about it.
    This car needs a switch up and I'm not sure what I am going to do about it since I'm broke, anyone have input? I feel like once I throw on the winter tires, these ESM's are going to be sold and the interior is going to get some attention.

Zack.
    Zack, My on the valve cover. Paint it black but instead of polishing the vanes like everyone does, paint them gold. You can do the same to the intake manifold.

The second part I quoted because you are concerned with aesthetics instead of getting the car running 100%. Werent you recently working as a tech? Bleeding the system is a pain until you get it done right, then its easy. Its a learning curve.

Dont worry so much about people following you on IG, thats not the point of this so-called game. Besides here (and IG apparently), how often will you see a sweet looking E30? probably never. This game is about a sweet car that you've poured your blood sweat and tears into.

Once thats done, you can sell your reps and buy some other crap that will get you "likes" if you choose to live that way.

-Simon
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

"I wish I was as cool as lambo" '91 Calypso E30 Coupe

I'm concerned about getting the car running 100%. I just stopped 75% of its oil leaks. I've got about $150-$200 left in suspension bushings to buy before I have replaced all of them. I've got a tranny output seal to put in while doing the SSK. I have a whole parts list that I'm knocking off to make the car much much much more reliable. I just don't like my wheels, that's it really. I was recently working as a tech, but due to the small shops surge of business and my lack of knowledge as an intern, I was let go until I get a little more schooling. If I was still working there I had a whole tunnel refresh planned, but that died quickly. Now I'm just trying to do what I can to make the car solid. And also not be bored looking at it.

Zack Eberl-Coe
      1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
      BMW

Comment

How is your boring but your idol ST1G is "winning the game" and has basically the same thing but wheels that are slightly larger... Im just saying change your perspective and you will see that the car looks great, dont forget that his paint isnt nearly as good as yours.

Keep at the driveline stuff so that you can then focus on the other stuff. I finally finished doing every bushing in the car and so now Im going to go buy some new clean alpine fenders for mine. Its weird to be focused on minor cosmetic stuff instead of some stupid issue that affects driveability.

I like this car :up:
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hahahaha it was a joke towards the St1g, he would have a caught on. Thanks for the encouragement! I do love this car and drive it every day. It's been pretty much reliable the whole time I've owned it and I want to further that!

Zack Eberl-Coe
          1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            How is your boring but your idol ST1G is "winning the game" and has basically the same thing but wheels that are slightly larger... Im just saying change your perspective and you will see that the car looks great, dont forget that his paint isnt nearly as good as yours.
            I just lost the game. My paint is really bad, and my m20 leaks buckets of oil.d

Hahahaha it was a joke towards the St1g, he would have a caught on. Thanks for the encouragement! I do love this car and drive it every day. It's been pretty much reliable the whole time I've owned it and I want to further that!

Zack Eberl-Coe
            Zack, your car is great. A word of advice, took my brother about 2 finicky hours to get his new 318i to bleed after changing the radiator. Getting all the air out can be a massive pain in the ass. But you can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
              I just lost the game. My paint is really bad, and my m20 leaks buckets of oil.d

Zack, your car is great. A word of advice, took my brother about 2 finicky hours to get his new 318i to bleed after changing the radiator. Getting all the air out can be a massive pain in the ass. But you can do it.

Let me add my two cents as well regarding bleeding the cooling system.... Drill a hole on the thermostat (through the arrow imprinted on thermostat lip). Install it. Disconnect the overflow tube going into the top of the radiator and back bleed the system that way. It is super easy. Just get a fluid pump from Advanced Auto or Pep Boys etc and put one end in the radiator fluid bottle and the other end attached to the radiator. Trust me... I struggled for over a week trying to bleed the system on my last car and went through lots of cursing before I tried this method. Actually let me find the write up and put it below. It works like a charm.

1990 325i Coupe Auto
              1987 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
              1989 325i Cabriolet Auto (sold)
              1991 325i Coupe Auto (sold)
              1991 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
              1990 325i Sedan Auto (sold)
              1984 318i Coupe Auto (sold)

Comment

Here ya go:

Nice and fast way to bleed coolant in M20
                After changing the timing belt and spending frustrating hours trying to fully bleed the cooling system by having the front on ramps, getting up to temp, using the bleed screw, etc... I would like to offer the following procedure I followed.

I am sure this has been done before but I haven't seen this exact method it after searching. I have read where people "blow" on the reservoir opening but that seemed a bit crude and inefficient.

Basically, it is "back-bleeding" the cooling system, I had to do this on Triumph car clutch, the only way to force the brake fluid past a high section of tubing.

Car - 1988 325is

The only new tool I needed was a cheap $6.00 plastic "oil pump" that can screw onto the top of a gallon jug. Found it at the local auto parts store.

Important - I drilled a small 5/64" hole in the top section the outer portion of the new thermostat. Right through the embossed arrow pointing upwards. This allows a small amount of coolant to bypass the thermostat when cold.

I worked with a cold car, parked flat(no ramps) that is not running and a coolant reservoir that is nearly empty. The night before I had tried to bleed the car by the "ramp" method, it worked ok but the temp did rise when idling. I ran out of time to keep working on it. Overall the system was probably 2/3 full but I think this procedure would work as well on a completely drained system.

Remove the coolant reservoir cap and put the heat control on full.

Install the pump in the top of the coolant jug and attach the pump's tubing to the small nipple on the very top left(driver) side of the radiator, directly above the large coolant hose. This nipple normally feeds into the coolant reservoir, you need to remove the small hose clamp and hose.

Loosen the bleed screw on the thermostat housing.

Pump the coolant into the radiator until the it flows out of the bleed screw on the housing.

Close the bleed screw.

Keep pumping the coolant until the coolant reservoir starts to fill up. I actually heard gurgling sounds as air bubbles worked out.

Keep pumping until the reservoir is full.

Remove the pump's tubing from the radiator nipple. Have the original hose ready to slip on because it will spurt coolant out of the radiator.

I put the reservoir cap back on and went for a drive with perfect results. It ran cool and consistent.

I have found this method to be extremely fast, clean, and safe compared to what I had tried before.

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback!!!
                Last edited by tim88325is; 05-09-2010 at 04:58 PM..

1990 325i Coupe Auto
                1987 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
                1989 325i Cabriolet Auto (sold)
                1991 325i Cabriolet Manual (sold)
                1990 325i Sedan Auto (sold)
                1984 318i Coupe Auto (sold)

Comment

Hell Yeah! I've got it to a good point now, but I want to replace the radiator sooner than later because all the fins got mowed over by the fan and just another new thing to keep the car running even better. Thanks for the link!

Zack Eberl-Coe
                  1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

I haven't posted here in a while. I have been working a lot and making a small stock pile of parts. The car has been living the life of a daily driver for me, so it has not seen love in quite a while. But today I finally gave her some love

Started off with a valve cover gasket and some wire wheel action on the cover itself. Crazy what 45 minutes with a wire wheel can do to 25 years of baked on cosmoline.

Once I finished there I finally committed to getting the short shift kit in along with a new Guibo and CSB.
                    Getting this crappy exhaust off by yourself is terrible.

Pain in the ass exhaust

Old vs New

Old

New

Installing

I hate having to shave something I paid $120 for. I didn't end up shaving enough because if you push the shifter to the left only in second gear you can hear the DSSR rub the harmonic balancer.

Finished up the install

I got too excited to try it out that I didn't take any pictures. I'll get a put together interior picture, and 1-2nd distance picture tomorrow. More to come in the week, especially some good change.
                    1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

You can pull that harmonic balancer off btw. It doesn't add any vibrations and only makes the drive shaft a tiny bit louder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      88 325is Five Speed
                      Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
                        You can pull that harmonic balancer off btw. It doesn't add any vibrations and only makes the drive shaft a tiny bit louder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        i didnt feel like messing with it. Grinding the dssr only took a couple of minutes
                        1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

I did a thing today.

17x8 BBS RC090 205/40/16

The struggle living in the dorms.

Time to get adapters to see if I like them before I go about refinishing. Got a couple more things comi g this upcoming week.
                          1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

#BasicBitchE30

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                              #BasicBitchE30
                              #copycat

Comment

I saw this coming.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
                                1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Working...