Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My plastidipped 318is

Hey everyone, this is my 318is.

The paint on my car was really bad. The back end had been repainted at some point after an accident many years ago and looks really good but the front had seen better days. I first saw the dipyourcar.com website earlier this year and was finally able to do my car. Decided to keep it red and go with matte red. Overall it turned out really well. Still need to repaint my rear spoiler but anyway.

Performance mods:
    Mark D chip
    Mustang injectors
    Mess under the intake
    Short shift
    LSD
    H&R Sports
    Bilstein Sports
    Ronal LS

'90 325i - 5 speed coupe
    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

wow looks great!

Comment

Still looks like bad paint IMO.

Still also sad to see people "painting" things without taking trim and other essentials off.

Also, the painted badge must go along with the front lip.

Comment

Certainly better than before. Normally I would have blasted you for plasti dipping your whole car but you did a good job.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Close ups of the center console?

Is the paint that pinkish in person? It looks like old oxidized paint to me.

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post

Still also sad to see people "painting" things without taking trim and other essentials off.

^ So how did your car PAX at the autocross from your signature photo?

It looks better than bad paint IMO. I thought about doing it, but I had a hard time justifying the money spent on a non permanent solution.
            sigpic

Comment

came out good.

Comment

Originally posted by fourmotioneer View Post
                ^ So how did your car PAX at the autocross from your signature photo?
                Don't know, local events don't bother with PAX generally. I'd much rather do the local stuff with 80 entrants and 13-30 runs than a Regional or National with only 3-5 for the weekend at the same cost.

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post

I'm not sure you understand the concept of plastidip lol

Temp paint that when applied to vehicles, isn't really meant to be a 5 star job. You really don't want rubber welled up behind your trim when the time comes to peal it off

OP it looks good, just think that a hint of black would have made it clear that the paint is a cover kind of like vinyl; make it look less like "bad paint" and more custom
                  Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
                  Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
                  Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                  Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

Originally posted by nickflic3 View Post
                    I'm not sure you understand the concept of plastidip lol

Temp paint that when applied to vehicles, isn't really meant to be a 5 star job. You really don't want rubber welled up behind your trim when the time comes to peal it off
                    I understand that masking instead of removing things like trim ALWAYS looks worse.

Comment

lol at this thread.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'm glad most of you generally liked it. I took these pictures in full sun so it does look slightly more red in person. I know some of you hate plastidip but it was a good option for me since I don't have the money for a real paint job and this is fairly simple to do.
                        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

I understand that masking instead of removing things like trim ALWAYS looks worse.
                          The plasti-dip will migrate behind any trim pieces a little bit while its still liquid. Removing trim to plasti-dip a car would completely defeat the purpose of the process. IMO Plasti-dipping a whole car is a very legit task when you have the right intentions and conditions. It fits a similar niche to vinyl wrapping a car.

I think you did a good job on yours. Matte red is always a risky color whether its plasti-dip, paint, or vinyl. Its hard for it not to come out looking slightly oxidized or pinkish. I like yours though. I probably would have gone with a different color myself but it works. I would for sure peel the plasti-dip off the 318is badge.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SlamedIAm View Post
                            Close ups of the center console?

Is the paint that pinkish in person? It looks like old oxidized paint to me.
                            Here's my center console. My dad made this a long time ago. We just got a spare e-brake console out of the junkyard, cut some holes, and slid in some cup holder inserts. Works really well for the most part.

'90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                            '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by willworkfore30s View Post
                              The plasti-dip will migrate behind any trim pieces a little bit while its still liquid. Removing trim to plasti-dip a car would completely defeat the purpose of the process. IMO Plasti-dipping a whole car is a very legit task when you have the right intentions and conditions. It fits a similar niche to vinyl wrapping a car.

I think you did a good job on yours. Matte red is always a risky color whether its plasti-dip, paint, or vinyl. Its hard for it not to come out looking slightly oxidized or pinkish. I like yours though. I probably would have gone with a different color myself but it works. I would for sure peel the plasti-dip off the 318is badge.
                              Thanks! I'm glad you understand the purpose and why I didn't remove the trim.

I thought about going with a different color but I really like red. Also, I may peel off the 318 badge. It looks a little off to me as well but my dad seems to like it.
                              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Working...
                              X