agent's 24v build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kronus View Post
    not sure that those rear stays are going to anything resembling structural sheet metal. I know it's a prebuilt cage and all, but all the serious cages I've seen (quite a few) go down to the rear frame rails.

what do your main hoop and front downtube spreader plates look like?
    You're right - they just go to the rear wheel wells. I'll be taking some more pics when the harnesses, the seats and their mounts arrive, hopefully this week.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
      You're right - they just go to the rear wheel wells. I'll be taking some more pics when the harnesses, the seats and their mounts arrive, hopefully this week.
      I would say that the rear wheel wells certainly resemble structural sheet metal.
      Originally posted by Andy.B
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I made a little progress over the weekend, though it wasn't nearly as much as I'd hoped since I was sent two different styles of floor mount adapters. Note the disparity between the number of bolt holes on the outer brackets in the first and second pictures:

Needless to say, I was pretty miffed when I made this discovery yesterday while trying to figure out why the passenger seat simply would not bolt in; I used the driver side outer as the template for lining up the side mounts. Once the correct passenger outer bracket arrives I'll be able to do final fitting and placement on the seats, then drill holes to mount the eye bolts and backing plates for the six point harnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
          I would say that the rear wheel wells certainly resemble structural sheet metal.
          you'd be wrong..

in a rollover or a major rear collision the rear stays will punch through the wheel wells without much hesitation.

an example of structural sheet metal is something with a box section, like the frame rails that hold the rear upper spring perches and rear bumper shocks.
          cars beep boop

Comment

Finished up the install of the quick release, pedals, seats, harnesses and roll bar padding today.

Comment

you'd be wrong..

in a rollover or a major rear collision the rear stays will punch through the wheel wells without much hesitation.

an example of structural sheet metal is something with a box section, like the frame rails that hold the rear upper spring perches and rear bumper shocks.
              I get it bro. I was being hilarious using your wording about it not "resembling" structural metal.
              Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                I get it bro. I was being hilarious using your wording about it not "resembling" structural metal.
                :up:

seat install looks good. pool noodles?
                cars beep boop

Comment

seat install looks good. pool noodles?
                  Thanks, and negative. It's offset roll bar padding, similar to this:

Comment

They resemble pool noodles...

Couldn't resist. I'm truly sorry.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                      Thanks, and negative. It's offset roll bar padding, similar to this:

neat! didn't know they made it offset.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

that was a quick build how does she run

Comment

Where did you get the offset pool noodles?
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            Where did you get the offset pool noodles?
                            Sorry Simon, just saw this. I got them from Summit Racing.

Comment

Working...
                            X