Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet "Blue Nose" M62b44 swap (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP you need to help me put together my next project... :)

Comment

Haven't been around to update this but figured I'd bring it up to speed a little.

Test fit the Wilwood's and digging how subtle its looking. Also picked up some rebuilt injectors and a Walbro 255..

M62 timing guide snapped

Complete 95 740I M60b40 NV with ≈80k miles. Came with the ZF 5HP30 trans.

Meeting its new home..

Labeling and stripping it down to replace seals.

TDS mounts & OEM Gaskets..

Sent a bunch of stuff to a local powdercoater; ceramic coated the exhaust mani..

Began disassembling the rear coolant covers..

While disassembling I discovered that 10 of the rear bolts were galvanized to the block. Began to drill out the first bolt to use an extractor. Granted I didn't buy an expensive kit so hence quality of china.

So pushing ahead I said fuck this grabbed a brew and started drilling like a mad man. My time-sert kit is currently en route, I have the 10 for the rear and two for the valley pan. This ought to be fun. In the meantime I figured I'd clean up the metal shavings and degrease a little.

Also picked up this bad boy from a local yard guy; Pulled from a 98 540I w/94k Miles. I have no idea how the synchro's are on this so I'm hoping its not trashed.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Nice

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

nice work. it will be worth it at the end.
          sigpic
          323i MTEC1
          Z3 coupe
          E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
            fact
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Wow I never saw the timing guide snap out like that, I have seen them break up into tons of pieces but not it shear in that area. I just changed the guides on my M62 right before last winter. They were not broke, but the car had about 120k miles and I was worried about them going. I pulled them out and they were in great shape, was hoping I didnt do all that work for nothing but I did. At least I have peace of mind now.
              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

This car is so much fun to look at, especially since I'm about to paint mine! What's your instagram?

Comment

Originally posted by kensol20 View Post
                  Nice

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  fact

Thanks and totally agree, good things cant be rushed.

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                  Wow I never saw the timing guide snap out like that, I have seen them break up into tons of pieces but not it shear in that area. I just changed the guides on my M62 right before last winter. They were not broke, but the car had about 120k miles and I was worried about them going. I pulled them out and they were in great shape, was hoping I didnt do all that work for nothing but I did. At least I have peace of mind now.

I had bits in the pan; oil pump bolts were still on there fine. The motor supposedly had 170k before it blew a headgasket. I got it without an intake runner and etc, almost a bare block and the PO removed a lot of things himself. I dont know if its the combination of moving around but as soon as i spun the motor it was a no go.

Shit happens, it was a major set back and def upsetting but gotta keep pushing. After that I kinda stopped my hunt for m60 heads and just wanted to get something going hence why I opt for the whole m60 for a killer price. Rather have a BAR'd m60 swap then work on the hybrid with possible induction.

Originally posted by SmallDave View Post
                  This car is so much fun to look at, especially since I'm about to paint mine! What's your instagram?

Thanks man! Good luck with your paint job, take the time on the prep work and tack it good it'll save you a lot of time down the road. My instagram's bornography_

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post
                    Shit happens, it was a major set back and def upsetting but gotta keep pushing. After that I kinda stopped my hunt for m60 heads and just wanted to get something going hence why I opt for the whole m60 for a killer price. Rather have a BAR'd m60 swap then work on the hybrid with possible induction.
                    I was just talking to someone about that the other day, getting a M60 BAR'd. Do the OEM exhaust manifolds fit in no problem?
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      I was just talking to someone about that the other day, getting a M60 BAR'd. Do the OEM exhaust manifolds fit in no problem?

Went with the modded x5 ones from garagistic. No idea if thats gonna effect the outcome. I'm gonna meet up with a bar ref and hash it out; hoping I can just slap two cats on that bitch and be worry free. Plan to run the evap can and etc so everything should be factory minus the exhuast mani....

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Took a page from MonkeyMadness on this one... So I got my coolant pipe back from RJ over at IE, really happy with the outcome and quality of work.

My time sert kit came pretty quick, must say I'm very impressed and happy with the outcome.

Counter-bore

Tap

So before finishing everything up I'm still stuck with the original headache. The glorious china easy out. So I hit it with a little dremel diamond tip, worked out alright and made baby steps.

Last edited by DIIRTY-30; 09-15-2015, 09:51 AM.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

The magical kit...

Time Serts installed...

Coolant pipe clearance

Last edited by DIIRTY-30; 09-15-2015, 09:51 AM.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Your car looks awesome with AC Schnitzer wheels. Know I will be watching the V8 build!:up:
                            Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Since I had someone ask about the steering joint..

Pretty content with how this piece came out considering I have zero metal working experience or tools for that matter.

Here's the block off plate that I'll be tapping for a catch can and vacuum lines. Just waiting on the fittings to come in the mail, but figured I'd test fit it and see how it looked.

Also went ahead and chopped the airbox a little bit till I get the rest of my gaskets then take the financial plunge into the flywheel & clutch.

Last edited by DIIRTY-30; 10-20-2015, 11:10 PM.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

nice work man the details on your build are awesome! Just started on my first e30 89 325is and this is inspiring!

Comment

Working...
                                X