Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meet "Blue Nose" M62b44 swap (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    PLS takes sum pix

I'll take some more that arent in the driveway soon lol ;D

Oh, and the only pic I took of it at SoCal Vintage lol...

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post
      I'll take some more that arent in the driveway soon lol ;D
      In the next two weeks PLS ;D
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Got around to ordering another PS delete since mine was cracked -.-

Oh and gotta throw the doggo on..

Mounted up an extinguisher after seeing my neighbors lowrider catch on fire at a car wash down the street..

Then begun carpeting the seat deletes which I still have no clue wtf I'm doing. I was also hoping the grey would match better with the OEM carpet but can't always have everything.

Bought a sheet of metal and began hacking away at it, hardest part I encountered was the wiring loom on the drivers side & getting it to fit just snug back there. Primed / painted so it wouldn't rust, then hit it with some Super 77 & wrapped it up. I went ahead and welded some SS 10mm studs onto the back so it bolts on through the back for a little cleaner look. After sitting looking at it, I decided to cover the wheel tubs too as an after thought which was kind of a PIA. Maybe when I have the door cards re-done I'll revisit that idea.

Pulled a canister off an e34 along with a purge off it and an OBDII car. Ended up going with the M62 purge since the spring sounded healthier & bigger. Did a temp job mounting the can in the bay to make sure everything worked. So far it doesn't smell nearly as horrible, so hoping the cat will clear up the rest of my headache issues.

Biggest benefit of owning the 8 right now aside from looks, is being able to swap parts from both motors to verify the issues. So far my ICV has been giving me issues, not sure why, I've pulled it, cleaned it, and still having some hiccups when its very cold outside. Yet when I swap the 8 series one on, same issue, swap them back, 8 runs just fine. So I'm starting to wonder if the wiring is acting up?

I pulled some ohms readings and off the top of my head I think i had 11.5 on one terminal, 23.5 on another, then on my e30 it was 12.1 and 22.5 I believe? So unsure what the discrepancy is between those two.

Last edited by DIIRTY-30; 04-25-2018, 02:07 PM.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

No 2018 update yet?
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

No 2018 update yet?
            Guess its about time to post some pictures since I've been a bit inactive. 2018s been an interesting one, been making more progress on the e31 above all, acquired an e38 from the original owner for an insane deal, putting that on the market to fund other projects. So with that being said, give a little peak & toss some much needed photos onto here. There's a few things I've left out, forgotten, didn't take pics of, so I'll just run down the line of photos haha.

I fixed my front spoiler, shot a rough coat of base & cleared it since I figured one of these days I'll run it over again. So instead of trying to perfect it and let my OCD take hold, I got it to the point where its acceptable to move forward onto the next.

I then got tired of looking at my dirt engine bay and for the first time actually decided to detail it, which didnt last very long. Perks of living on a property with primarily dirt.... nothing stays clean, so a big woop for that haha. Hindsight should have taken photos in the daytime but eh noone cares lol

Then one day I decided to take it out and really let it loose, its funny how addicting torque is. I was having a bit of fun, you know minding my own business, then next thing i know I'm limping. So I stick my head out the window thinking "wtf did I hit, did I get a flat?!" NOPE. wheels wobbling, so I managed to make it home since I wasn't too far away. I exit the car and noticed my wheel was a bit uh sideways. Closer inspection I find that I snapped two of four motorsports studs. Shoot Ryan a text, day later have a new set & swap them out. Luckily I still had a few extra lugs & the wheel lock lug wasn't apart of the damage.

So off the wheel, rotors and etc came... I was greeted by a nice little challenge that I was hoping to try but not in this fashion. So I took a small gamble and decided I'd try a new-to-me technique, worst case I'd have to source a new hub. Grabbed some nuts laying around and got to work. By no means am I a welder, but I've been considering taking a few classes just to get a better education behind it. Knowledge is power kids.

Then I went ahead, ran a tap through the hub to make sure the threads weren't all fubar'd and wasting my time. Luckily everything turned out properly, and went ahead and tossed some loctite back on and put it back on the road.

After a few more short drives followed by cleaning & organizing my misc parts in boxes. I came across my e36 brace that I never got around to installing prior to trading for the e31. At which point I kinda sat and thought to myself "hell why not give this a shot". I've seen a few people do it but wasn't sure how viable the outcome would be, some weld this, some bend that. So crawled under the car and held it in place and was like "whoa, it's almost a near perfect fit, why don't more people do this as an OEM-ish option as oppose to hundreds of dollars"

So I begun using rivnuts to secure the subframe position, couple of white out marks, and began drilling and installing the other rivnuts, took the brace down, bent the frame rail tabs, and boom, fits.

Well there you go, e36 oem X brace on an e30 easy as pie. Then I dropped a ridiculous amount of money on a bunch of v8 parts for both cars, and did the tensioners on both cars. I'm unsure if these photos were from the e30 or e31 since it's been some time, both looked very similar. I had a slight rattle coming from the e31, even after an oil change which this fixed, and in comparison, the e30 is a cakewalk to work on compared to the 8 haha.

Little while later, I decided to change the FPR, intake manifolds due to vac leaks, and I added an oem m62 breather tube into the m60 manifold on the e31. Which then gave me the idea of instead of spending $30+ on another tube for the e30, while im at it, i'll make my own. So with a check valve, some ally tubing, I cut, drilled, welded, and fit a DIY tube into the e30. At which point I had an extra m62 throttle body without the plate and swapped that out as well. Cause, you can never have too many upgrades right? I added slits on top, and drilled the bottom out in a few spots incase oil decided to pool in there, which hopefully wont be the case.

I'm sure theres a few shots side by side of these two but for anyone reading heres the major differences.

M60 w/ plates & M62 w/o plates

I'm waiting on the adapters for this, since the builder is moving shops currently, I'm hoping to have this on the car, functioning by years end. Fingers crossed, I originally bought this for the e31 since it yearns for more power for its weight but considering doing an s62 swap instead for obvious reasons. Which leaves me with this little gem. I met a very cool jaguar guy locally, told him what I'm doing and was able to get everything needed off his parts car. I've tossed around few ideas of how to route this and that, so far the plan is looking very solid. Car had 105k miles on it, lot of work already done, needs needle bearings but buying a kit for that, gave me most of the gaskets, insane what Jag charges.

Biggest hurtle I see, and if someone would like to toss a recommendation out I NEED A TUNER.... I have no faith at all in attempting to reprogram even with inpa/NCSExpert software. So if anyone can point me in a direction locally, I'm guessing RKtunes but haven't reached out and contacted them yet. Greatly appreciate any help in this field.

Gave everything a deep cleaning, made sure all the bolts were there & labeled. Going to pull the intake manifold off and see how to route some things, most likely going to get rid of the blower cover or make a new panel so that things fit haha. Meantime, some powder, new seals, rebuild the injectors, yadda yadda yadda, keep ya'll posted a bit more often once this comes to fruition.

OH and big shoutout to whomever did this at the junkyard. I thought this was so funny when I walked past and saw it! Good shit reppin r3v

Last edited by DIIRTY-30; 04-25-2018, 03:23 PM.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

is the blower going on the e30??? I can't keep up with all your m6x cars in this thread haha
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I love that these old epic threads get bumped, and next thing I know, my whole afternoon is shot. What a story! Can't wait to see where this goes!

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                  is the blower going on the e30??? I can't keep up with all your m6x cars in this thread haha

I'm gonna try and make it a reality haha

Originally posted by PacificExposure View Post
                  I love that these old epic threads get bumped, and next thing I know, my whole afternoon is shot. What a story! Can't wait to see where this goes!
                  My bad about your afternoon lol sorry man. I'm thinking of making a build thread on the e31 right now just cause I hadn't realized the duration since my November post. E30s finally gotten to the point of like "okay it can drive without hiccups yessss" then tossed on the backburner for my other projects.

On a side note... E38 is for sale, feel free to PM me for questions...

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

My bad about your afternoon lol sorry man. I'm thinking of making a build thread on the e31 right now just cause I hadn't realized the duration since my November post. E30s finally gotten to the point of like "okay it can drive without hiccups yessss" then tossed on the backburner for my other projects.
                    Make a build thread for the E31. Definitely.

BUT send me pics of the E30 first
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Make a build thread for the E31. Definitely.

BUT send me pics of the E30 first

Build thread will probably be made very soon. I'll have some pictures for you, last time I actually tried to take it seriously I almost lost a wheel lol my bad about that. I'll keep you posted

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

I'm gonna try and make it a reality haha
                        DEFinitely looking forward to this.
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Thought I had uploaded some of these pics but I guess not. Hell of a month taking care of my dog after a torn ligament/dislocated knee which has zapped a lot of funds. Along with a new job with weird hour shifts haven't really had time to work on the 30 very much.

Picked up a z3m cover since I regretted selling mine a few years ago. I began to try and degrease it & figured it was a waste of time, my buddy gave it a nice hot tank bath & dog approves. Also got hooked up with a little emblem for my hood piece to complete it. Meanwhile I took my whole hood off & scraped off the foam & gave it a good scrubbing to get everything off, unsure if I should refoam it or leave it be.

I went ahead and got rid of the ratty e34 overflow plastic line I got from the junkyard & made it out of copper instead. I realize I didn't take pics of the flares but theyre there. May just go ahead and use the left over copper for some fuel/breather lines to get rid of excess plastic. Still planning to relocate the charcoal can to a stock e34 location under the fender, gave the SC a more indepth cleaning, waiting on new needle bearings to come in. Figured I'd use up a scrap can of etch primer/high temp enamel I've had laying around to brighten it up. I had someone ask if its orange peeled but its just the texture, which will probably be a PIA to clean eventually. I know its not much of a secret but using chapstick or the likes on raised lettering will make your life easier. Wipes right off once everything is cured.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Great work!

Sorry about your pup, we had to amputate a leg for one of ours Friday.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Ah shit :( that's awful I'm sorry to hear that. Might I ask what happened to the poor fella?

My guy's barely over a year old but vet said he either was hit by a car or fell from a pretty good height as a pup. Found him tied up to a tree on the street in 110F heatwave. Knew he had something up with his hip/knee by his walking but was blown hearing it was dislocated/completely torn yet he'd still run full speed no prob when excited.

My girl shows me a lot of random dog videos, and it amazes me how they overcome & can readjust with missing limbs. Animals are pretty spectacular at adapting to things compared to us humans.

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                              Great work!

Sorry about your pup, we had to amputate a leg for one of ours Friday.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

dogs dont give a fuck they just wanna hang out/are happy to be included in activities lol. They're perfect
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X