No announcement yet.

Ocell's 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another autocross this weekend. I haven't put the new tires on yet, so I may be struggling for grip a bit more than I shoud. Jordan Eubanks was nice enough to send me a photo he got while I was out on course. This photo is during a very hard left-hand sweeper. The car stays so flat in the corners.

91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

I've got some new axles on my buying-soon list.

Comment

Knob kept popping off. This should take care of it.

I got a 5x0.8mm headless set screw. Threaded it all the way in the shift lever, put the shift knob on, and then backed the set screw back out with an allen wrench through a small hole in the shifter. Not the cleanest solution, but that knob's going nowhere.

Comment

I finally got these Condor Speed Shop M42 motor mounts installed. They add quite a bit of vibration, but the feedback on the track is pretty outstanding.

Condor Speed Shop M42 Motor Mount by Ocell, on Flickr

Condor Speed Shop M42 Motor Mount by Ocell, on Flickr

I drive very carefully, but I've already gotten my money's worth out of the Red46 skid plate.

Red46 Skidplate Progress by Ocell, on Flickr
          Last edited by Ocell; 07-07-2014, 09:08 PM.

Comment

I've made it out to Driveway Austin (http://www.drivewayaustin.com/) the past two weekends. The first time was for an open-to-the-public Time Attack. The second time was to take their first level racing school, which gives me access to practice sessions on their level one track. It's a fun track, and hard to beat since it's 5 miles from my house.

318is at Driveway Austin by Ocell, on Flickr

These videos are from the Time Attack weekend. I hadn't been on the track before, and I'm a lot easier on the tires after the class I took the next weekend.

Comment

Are you still using the stock steering rack? Seems like a faster ratio one would make a lot of difference.
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

It's an E36 rack. I'm not sure exactly which one.

Comment

Really? Oh. Looks like a lot of wheel turn for not much actual turn.
                  One thing, in the super sharp corners where your hands end up completely crossed over, it might be better that just before you enter the corner you shift the leading hand up the wheel, and following hand down a bit. Means if you need to correct you've still got a little more play left.
                  Solid driving though, looks damn fun.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I was certainly over driving the front tires, so that may explain the excessive steering input.

The videos are all before the formal racing school. I don't have a video of after yet, but I think I've addressed many of the technique issues in the video.

Thanks for having a look and giving the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                      Really? Oh. Looks like a lot of wheel turn for not much actual turn.
                      One thing, in the super sharp corners where your hands end up completely crossed over, it might be better that just before you enter the corner you shift the leading hand up the wheel, and following hand down a bit. Means if you need to correct you've still got a little more play left.
                      Solid driving though, looks damn fun.
                      On the contrary, I have always been taught that if you shuffle, you won't be as fast as crossing your hands, and that if you need more than a cross of the arms, you are getting into too much trouble. I run a stock rack in my e30 since that's what will be required when my Spec car is done.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'm with you John, I keep my hands at 9 and 3 as much as possible. This course is tight enough that for one corner they were teaching us to move one hand to 6 o'clock on the wheel, and in the corner that hand ends up at 12. I was doing it a bit naturally already in the video (before the class). Once I focused on moving that hand to 6, it made a HUGE difference in my ability to hit the apex. Before I was getting crossed up and didn't have the strength to pull the car in far enough.

Comment

It is a tight course. As you know we have some nice tracks down here, might be a little spoiled. Have to look, but might the videos from Sebring where you are in the frame for a bit.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            On the contrary, I have always been taught that if you shuffle, you won't be as fast as crossing your hands, and that if you need more than a cross of the arms, you are getting into too much trouble. I run a stock rack in my e30 since that's what will be required when my Spec car is done.
                            Oh yeah, I mean only in the absolute tightest of corners, when you've turned the wheel upside down. Everywhere else don't move from 9 and 3.
                            sigpic

Comment

Nice car. What kind of steering wheel is that?

Comment

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's a Momo Monte Carlo, judging from photos online.

Comment

Working...
                                X