Barn Find??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barn Find??

Maybe garage find would be a better title. I wish I could make this story up but I'm not that clever.

I'm coming home one Sunday afternoon from dropping my daughters E36 at the mechanics house. Stop in to get gas and this guy is gassing up an E30 325is next to me. I comment on how nice it looks and he proceeds to tell me that his wife's mom just gave it to her and she hates it because it's too small. He said they are probably going to sell it. I inquire as to the price (I'm guessing easily over 5 grand)...he says, "well, I was thinking 2 grand".

I about lose it right there but manage to act nonchalant. I take his number and call the next day. Ends up he lives 2 miles from me. So I go over to his house (with 2 grand in pocket) and give the car a good once over. I find a couple of very minor items then ask if he'll take $1500. No, he's sticking with 2 grand. I hand over 2 grand.

The car is a 1990 325is, the mom is the original owner and it has 76K original miles. I think I did OK.

And our Bimmer/Beemer clan

Nice clean car guess the only downfall would the slushbox.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

lucky bastard
      my build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=309778

Comment

nice 1st post op

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Geesshh

There are people posting like $15,000 for a similar mint cars.

Yeah, $2k....you stole it.

Comment

Where is the gratuitous shot of the the old 2 stroke? Used to have a TZR in three different flavors when I was living in Japan. I miss riding some days.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah, the auto was a very minor bummer but if I want to shift gears I'll ride a motorcycle.

To follow up: I did this deal 3 weeks ago. The husband calls me up Monday because there was a St. Christopher medal in the car and the MIL wanted it back. He said she was major pissed that they sold the car and wanted my name because she was planning to buy it back. He told her that she gave it to her daughter and the daughter could do whatever she wanted to with it.

So I'm the unknown player in WW3 with this family!

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                Where is the gratuitous shot of the the old 2 stroke? Used to have a TZR in three different flavors when I was living in Japan. I miss riding some days.

Here you go! This is me on my RZ350 racing WERA Vintage at Talladega. They say never worry about what is happening behind you. I did and almost got passed!

Comment

Originally posted by rd400racer View Post
                  Thanks guys. Yeah, the auto was a very minor bummer but if I want to shift gears I'll ride a motorcycle.

To follow up: I did this deal 3 weeks ago. The husband calls me up Monday because there was a St. Christopher medal in the car and the MIL wanted it back. He said she was major pissed that they sold the car and wanted my name because she was planning to buy it back. He told her that she gave it to her daughter and the daughter could do whatever she wanted to with it.

So I'm the unknown player in WW3 with this family!
                  I can imagine his reaction "...You sold it?! ... FOR $2000!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

Very nice buy. Lets see some more interior and engine bay shots!
                  Current:
                  1989 325i
                  1988 M3
                  1987 325ic
                  Past:
                  2001 330ci
                  2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
                    I can imagine his reaction "...You sold it?! ... FOR $2000!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

Very nice buy. Lets see some more interior and engine bay shots!
                    That's all I have for now but I'll make sure to take more.

I'm a 53 year old guy and this has always been a dream car to me. I can't explain other than I think it has about the most beautiful lines of any car made (well, I'm a sucker for a 635CSi too!).

I guess the only thing that surprises me is that I thought they were a little quicker. The very first thing I did was take it to a local BMW guy and had him do the timing belt/water pump because I couldn't precisely tell when it was done last. Then I changed out the air filter and put new plugs in (I went with the NGK's). It will probably need suspension in the near future but I use it mainly to cruise around in. Maybe it's just me, but it feels way faster from 50 to 100 then from 0-50...a very linear power that builds like a freight train.

Comment

Its the slush box that makes it feel slow. The manual makes it a whole different animal. Still not fast by today's terms, but night and day from the auto version.

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
                      HSAX Instructor

Comment

Sounds a manual make are far better than the slushbox too.

Comment

Awesome. Its always possible to convert it to manual...
                          PNW E30 Crew : 1991 E30 S50, 2000 E39 M5

sigpic

Follow my S50 build
                          : MY S50 E30

Follow me on instagram : @damendesign

E30 T-Shirts | M3 T-Shirts /Prints

Comment

Great score. 5spd swap can be done in a day if you have someone ship you the parts, two days if you have to go to a junkyard to source bits. You'll be happy.

Comment

Nice pickup man! Looks great, and that's a fantastic price.
                              88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                              We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Working...
                              X