Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is, my friend, no way...
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Did you say you have all of this http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-325i...item339346ec46 ?
      sigpic
      Streetable poly mounts, trans mounts are here!
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=streetable
      '94 318i
      '07 335i
      '11 X5
      '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

Wow, that would make it easy. And no, I have the harness, tcu, and 4hp-22eh.
        Ummm, somebody buy some of my for sale stuff! Here it is!!!
        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        I was born on 3/25…
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

all of my rat rod intentions now involve sawzalls....

Comment

So, with all the mtech1 small diameter steering wheel talk going on these days, I thought I'd disclose that the car in this thread came with one. I had no idea they were worth so much. In my opinion, this is the only way to procure fancy parts; accidentally on a trade…I do get pretty lucky from time to time.
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Alright. We're gonna change direction a bit. I got a 5-speed Getrag 240 on cl for free. They are supposed to be not as strong as a 265 or whatever you are supposed to use when you do an m30 swap. The price was right, so I'm gonna try it. It was mated to an m10 so we know it hasn't had a lot of power through it, so it should be in decent condish inside. Now I need to nail down the most correct clutch and flywheel and starter combo to use. I've read some thread that had a bunch of good info. I'll link it if I find it again.

Also, since I can't find any motor mounts for a m30b34 (different passenger side mount than a b35), I'm gonna make my own. I ordered some steel from ebay and I'm gonna get this fuckin' ball rollin'.
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

While I was looking forward to a cool column mounted shifter, I can't wait to see what you put together.

I'm in the same boat as you with needing mounts for m30b34. It seems like no one makes them in the us right now. I thought about using the readily available b35 mounts and making an adapter plate for the passenger side. If you decide you want to produce b34 mounts to fill that gap in the market, and help fund your awesome builds, I would buy a set for sure.
                Last edited by Andy.B; 09-14-2014, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                  While I was looking forward to a cool column mounted shifter, I can't wait to see what you put together.

I'm in the same boat as you with needing mounts for m30b34. It seems like no one makes them in the us right now. I thought about using the readily available b35 mounts and making an adapter plate for the passenger side. If you decide you want to produce b34 mounts to fill that gap in the market, and help fund your awesome builds, I would buy a set for sure.
                  I was thinking about doing this. Let's see how the first batch turns out…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm still trying to make sense of all the information out there regarding driveshaft choices and engine position.

What driveshaft options do you have with the m10 tranny?

Comment

Yeah, so I'm out there taking the 4hp-22eh off, and once it's off I go to rotate the crank so as to get to the torque converter bolts and its all "griiiiiiind". It's also way too hard to turn over. I believe when I take the oil pan off I'm gonna find a mess. The head still looks real good, as in no grooves in the cam lobes. But the bottom has serious problems I believe. I was told it's a good running motor, and it looks the part from the outside, but I get the feeling it may not be.

Details forthcoming...
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                        I'm still trying to make sense of all the information out there regarding driveshaft choices and engine position.

What driveshaft options do you have with the m10 tranny?
                        No idea. I was thinking I'd just cross that bridge when I come to it. The 240 is substantially shorter than the 4hp22 though. I'm hoping it kinda ends up near where the m20 trans ended.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Removed the pan and it looks ok in there. No shavings or other obvious maladies. It is getting easier to turn over by hand but something is rubbing/grinding somewhere. It sounds like the timing cover maybe. Hopefully an easy fix. We shall see.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Well, I don't know how I was able to make pics appear normal size before, but just click it if you need detail. This is 1/4" steel plate. 6" x 12". It'll be the part that mounts to the bungs on the motor. I've got some 1/4" x 2" coming for the arms. My fabrication bone is twitching...

Last edited by Ether-D; 09-17-2014, 05:40 AM.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Also, I noticed that there was substantial slack between the crank and cam. If I turn it one direction and then the other, there's about an inch of crank travel before the cam moves back the other direction. I haven't taken the timing cover off yet, but I will.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~
                              I was born on 3/25…
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Sounds like a combination of stretched timing chain and timing guides that have probably disintegrated. One of my M42s did something similiar when its timing rails failed.

I bet you will end up very close to being able to use a stock M20/G260 drive shaft...maybe have on on hand before you burn in your mounts and see if the whole drivetrain can be positioned accordingly? Obviously ensure that it isn't too far forward. That being said, I do have an extra G260 (and G240) that I would be happy to doing some trading/selling with for a good cause :D.
                                '91 318is M52 Turbo (in pieces)

Comment

Working...
                                X