Schwartz Facelift 87is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwartz Facelift 87is

Picked this up locally. 27 years old and engine bay looks brand new.

came with:

Facelift plastic bump upgrade
    3.73 LSD
    Blacked out kidneys
    Mtech 1 steering wheel
    Sunroof
    Zhp shift knob
    Short shift
    Bilstein sport
    Eiebach sport springs
    Borbet wheels
    Black sport seats in addition to tan seats
    Plastic bumper
    Rear Valence, (PO said its was a local fab but looks to be an ACS mold)

Previous owner (or previous previous owner) had removed the A/C and power steering. Interior was trashed, cracked dash, bumper not attached/mated with valence, iS lip not attached, no bumper trim, blown fuses, stereo didn't work, ABS engages at <1 mph, faulty sunroof motor, torn sunroof headliner.

But for all of the above the engine, transmission and suspension is in great condition. It looks as if it has aftermarket headers, definitely feels tuned, haven't checked the injectors and the engine appears to be rebuilt. Pulls harder than my vert too. I knew I could repair the aesthetic/minor mechanical issues so I went to work right away. Purchased in September 14'

Picked up another tach/speedometer, bumper trim, and condenser and some a/c piping.

Out with the old, in the the black sport seats.

iS lip attached

Acquired A/c and powersteering components

Hella ellipsoids, they were cracked when I got them, got new lenses from a friend and corresponding pigtails. Now retrofitted with 5000k HID bulbs

M3 needle conversion.

Slow progress, painted my grills, cut my trim to fit the bumper, primed the rear bumper and valence.

Fiberglassing bumper trim back together and deleting side markers/converting to euro trim.

Riveted the valence to the bumper

Bumper and valence back on the car

Little before and after:

Euro bumper trim attached:

Back bumper trim attached:

Errrbody loves new roundel day!

Really does freshen up the look

The joys of working in the grain trade with a black car:

Nothing a quick bath can't cure

Picked up a crack free dash

Decided to go completely custom on the interior after seeing a friend's e36 m3 in modena, I fell in love with the black/modena contrast and wanted to see it bring this interior back from the dead. I traded the black sport seats for some tan ones locally and went to work.

Carpet before dye:

Interior before:

Interior after (excuse the picture quality, my buddies phone is apparently always set to some high contrast Instagram mode)

From the outside:

Really pleased with how it came out

That's it for now, still need to install the CD Player (which was causing the grounding issues/blown fuses). Can't decide if I want to install the one that came with the car or pony up the $100 and get a Bluetooth/AUX radio. I'll probably wait on that.

In order things I NEED to do this week:

-Install Power steering
    -Install A/C
    -Fix ABS issue (wheel speed sensor cleaning?, new module?)
    -Retrofit LED's into Maplight rear view mirror
    -Swap dash
    -Swap Speedometer
    -Clean up lines on door card from painting
    -Sunroof motor/headliner swap
    -Shadowline trim

I have another e30 that I'm working on as well and I'm off for a week starting wednesday so we'll see how much of that list I actually complete.

Thanks for stopping by! As far as future plans I do have some e90 drophats I'm going to install to give the front that moar low, and I'm fixing to pick up some ESM 002 16x8 in the front 16x9 in the rear. May also pick up an amp because the car came with a decent subwoofer and MB Quart speakers all around.

Also thinking about a Ryan G splitter but may see if they go on sale for Xmas. Definitely going to ask for tidbits from relatives for holiday gifts i.e. - voltmeter, tint, keyless entry with e36 fob, anthracite floor mats, motorsport roundels/doorhandles.
    sigpicGrind it till you find it.

Sweet work.

What leather product did you use for the redye? Holding up?

Painted carpet in car?
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by departeg View Post
      That looks amazing. Nice car.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
        Sweet work.

What leather product did you use for the redye? Holding up?

Painted carpet in car?
        Thanks! Yeah it's high quality stuff, only been on for a week but so far so good. I ordered it from leatherclinic.com and got the extra large kit. I have some protection cream that I'll be coating it with but you have to wait a week to put it on. I read a lot of reviews of different companies and multiple people reported good results years after the fact. The dye I did in stages, first with Rits, then wet vac'd the excess out, then Carpet Dye spray, then brushed it to retain the feel. Did the same thing in my vert and it's been 6 months, so far so good.

Comment

Nice job on the rear valence and interior. Please get some better pix.

COTM

Comment

I love that interior man.
            Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
            1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

Wow what a brilliant colour scheme

Comment

WOW, Interior almost looks new. Love the progress! Sub'd

Comment

woah sweet - nice work! really turn that e30 around.

how is that interior paint holding up on the seats?
                  Is it pretty hard to the touch?
                  Brush off on clothes at all? Maybe when its in the sun?
                  91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                  ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post

I always wonder the same thing when I see rattle canned cloth, vinyl, and leather. Never seen it done up close so if anyone has experience with these products, I'd be interested to hear some feedback. Jobs like this interior make me consider it.

Ryan

Comment

dam, that interior looks awesome.
                      Originally posted by dvck
                      I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post

thanks guys!

The dye on the seats are super soft. It lays down flat drys quickly and isn't tacky once dry, and its finished with 5-6 coats of clear matte finish which protects it from the elements and I'm fixing to put some included protection cream on it tomorrow. The carpet was rinsed once the dye was applied to remove the excess, then sprayed with Technicians Choice carpet dye spray, then brushed to bring back the texture of the carpet. The black on the door cards looks great and I have the same thing in my vert for the past 6 months. No complaints.

Comment

Decided to shadowline it (against many people's advice). Very glad I did.

Previous owner removed powersteering (like the whole thing, lines pump, reservoir). So I installed everything over my week off however this high pressure line back to the rack would not line up because the line from the res was kind of blocking it.

I literally spent 8 hours trying every trick in the book. Then I took a hammer and extension and gave the hose a little nudge out of the way. Filled the res, drove it around, and then I saw it. The power steering fluid on the ground. I forgot to put a crush washer in. It was dark and I have two e30's so I went to bed. Go to drive to work in the morning (4:30 AM). Vert is dead. So I didn't want to burn up the pump with no fluid so I had to remove the powersteering belt. FML.
                          Last edited by departeg; 11-12-2014, 10:30 AM.

Comment

awesome work man, I hope my rear bumper conversion turns out as nice as yours...I have a one piece mt2 rear bumper that im going to cut the valence off and attach to a plastic bumper.
                            sigpic
                            Rescued 1986 325e Coupe
                            1988 325ix Touring 5spd currently being rescued
                            Ottawa, Ontario, Canada :finger:

Comment

Originally posted by 613EDRTY View Post
                              awesome work man, I hope my rear bumper conversion turns out as nice as yours...I have a one piece mt2 rear bumper that im going to cut the valence off and attach to a plastic bumper.
                              thanks! that will be interesting. I'd like to see that.

Comment

Working...
                              X