• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid good find. Well done.
    Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=254176

Comment

S38,,,,,,,,, the greatest IL6 in to an E30

well done,, i totally adore these engines,, and for me the B38 is top favorite
      Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
      ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
      E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

s38!

Ok, So now what am I supposed to do with all this drool? Awesome find!

Comment

Damn nice find!!!

Originally posted by TroyShark View Post
          Very nice. Where'd you get the air fresheners?
          Looks like it came all the way from Germany with the car just by looking at the writing and German Flag Colors on it.
          1990 325i
          2004 330i Individual 6-speed
          sigpic

Comment

I keep looking back at this thread, I love this car, instantly one of my favorite e30's ever. If you were closer I would probably be begging you to sell it to me.

In regards to your video though, I think it's not running too well. It should rev/be a lot faster, unless that wasn't WOT. I may be wrong, but my e34 m5 revved a lot quicker than that, and weighed probably 800 lbs more. I would maybe do compression and leakdown tests, see whats going on.

Still, beautiful car. One of the best craigslist finds I've ever seen
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
              If you were closer I would probably be begging you to sell it to me.
              I've been trying buddy, I've been trying...
              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

More pictures from engine bay ??
                Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

The plastic you found has come out of the tubes in the radiator - it's there to make the water swirl in the tube & make the radiator more efficient. As it was designed to have them, just keep an eye on your temps for a while to make sure the radiator is up to the task without them... But it could have been like it for a while!
                  My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post

It appears that the cap is missing the center carbon post, it might have broke off when you removed the cap or you can tell if it was missing by the rotor if there is a shiny spot where it rides on it or if it is just all arced up. By the looks of the rotor it look like it might be black from arcing and will definitely cause a bad missfire

My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                      I keep looking back at this thread, I love this car, instantly one of my favorite e30's ever. If you were closer I would probably be begging you to sell it to me.

In regards to your video though, I think it's not running too well. It should rev/be a lot faster, unless that wasn't WOT. I may be wrong, but my e34 m5 revved a lot quicker than that, and weighed probably 800 lbs more. I would maybe do compression and leakdown tests, see whats going on.

Still, beautiful car. One of the best craigslist finds I've ever seen
                      Thanks, a compression test is my next course of action except maybe a better video of course. ;D I agree though, even though I am at 6000 ft it still should pull harder if everything were right.

Originally posted by Alpina View Post
                      More pictures from engine bay ??
                      Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                      The plastic you found has come out of the tubes in the radiator - it's there to make the water swirl in the tube & make the radiator more efficient. As it was designed to have them, just keep an eye on your temps for a while to make sure the radiator is up to the task without them... But it could have been like it for a while!
                      Thanks, this is good to know. We shall see how it affects things. How would those tubes come out of the radiator though? Age?

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                      It appears that the cap is missing the center carbon post, it might have broke off when you removed the cap or you can tell if it was missing by the rotor if there is a shiny spot where it rides on it or if it is just all arced up. By the looks of the rotor it look like it might be black from arcing and will definitely cause a bad missfire

Very nice catch! I hadn't noticed that.

To follow up with some more photos, here are some specifics on the engine conversion. I definitely need to repaint a few things and clean some parts up but I figured I'll show you guys what I'm working with.

Here is the cooling system. Alpine, can you identify the components used for the swap? I do not know what radiator it is, but it is very thin and has some bent fins.

Then I looked at the brake/ clutch system. I cannot find a brake bomb, but here is the fill and reservoir. The lines need replacing but I am not sure what part number they could be.

It has ABS but I am not sure it works. The light came on the dash when I filled it with gas. The brakes have a strange power delay. When I press them, there is no initial bite and after about a second delay they build up pressure and grab hard and it starts to lock up the wheels (rears I think). Very dangerous in an emergency scenario. Is this a sign of a bad brake bomb, or air in the lines?

Some rust beneath the modified air filter/ bracket

The wiring was done well. I think it just connects up to the e30 C101.

I haven't looked at an s38b36 before so I am not sure if this bracket is factory or not for the throttle cable.

And a shot of the injectors. I am guessing these white tops are factory?

Also, it looks like the rears have the SPAX adjustable rear shock absorbers.
                      Last edited by downforce22; 06-03-2015, 09:33 PM.
                      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

That's a factory E28 535i radiator, or a similar one. The passenger-side downpipe is a one-off. The coolant tee to the head's water channel is weird, there's supposed to be a coolant temp sender there.

No idea on your brake system, but those lines are generic, and it's ok to replace them with other generic lines - they're cut to length and don't hold pressure.

That throttle cable and bracket are probably off an M30. The lower flat bracket looks custom.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

At some point you will have to see the stock E28 brake bomb and master cylinder. I have the stock E24/28 brake master out of the car if you want photos. The orientation they sit in sort of look familiar to me though. Maybe worth checking out on my E28 M5 when you come up with weekend.

Your symptoms may indeed be a bad bomb, especially if the brake light flickers during. I'd first make sure that your brake lines are nicely bled and no air is compressing in the system...
                          http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Wonderful car you got there, That was a great catch and your lucky you got of hold of the car before anyone could snatch it up. Keep up the great work.

Comment

I bet this thing is a blast to drive!! I keep dreaming about my B38 swapped in a e30!! The sound and how it keep pulling is amazing!

Congrats in your new adquisition. And that's some nasty gap in your engine bay :P
                              Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Ted,

You have the E32 750 / E28 M5 hydraboost brake booster setup, that is the thin pipe thing before the brake master cylinder that bolts to the firewall. The brake bomb is to the left of the hydraboost, between the hydraboost the fenderwell. I would suspect the brake bomb is toast if it needs a pump or a bit of time to boost brake pressure. That one time we went to HPR, my M5 was acting very similar to what you discribe.

Those lines that look bad from the brake reservoir to the brake master look like normal rubber tubing, not a specific part.

Your coolant system looks to be a South African E30 335i radiator that is common on M30 swapped cars. Your front end coolant stuff looks like M88/S38B35, as the B36 is too big for the E30.

I have a compression tester you are welcome to use.
                                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X