Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome build! car looks great!

Comment

Well put together thread, I can't wait for LS fun.
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalW/BlauCheese View Post
        awesome build! car looks great!
        Originally posted by stonea View Post
        Well put together thread, I can't wait for LS fun.
        Thanks guys.

I finally got some wheels, but unfortunately they are not the real deal. Maybe when I graduate ill get some real BBS or Hartge wheels but for now these ESM's are gonna have to do they are 16x8 et20. Since I'm on a college budget I'm gonna have to wait a few days before I can get some tires.

First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

nice. gonna look good! great progress.

Comment

Got my tires today, nothing fancy just some 205/40r16's falken ziex ze950. Im probably gonna get the tires mounted on the weekend if I get some free time.

Comment

Getting tired of the 4 turn lock to lock :SOS:

Comment

Cool build. Sub'd. Cant wait to see it sitting on the new wheels.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
                  Its a 4 door 1991 318i 5 speed with a good amount of mileage, but its clean for its year. Previous owner was super cool and chill, and did a lot of maintenance with some mods. The car is lowered on vogtland springs with blisteins, so it rides nice. Once the shocks wear out Im planning on getting some coilovers, but thats gonna be a while from now. Im just making this thread to have a record of the things I have done, and will do in the future. I haven't done anything big to the car yet, just a couple kill switches, alarm, clutch lock and other little stuff. Anyways... Im happy to finally join the BMW family, especially the E30 family.

I have big plans for this car, but those big plans will have to wait, because Im on a college budget :-(. When I graduate I plan on swapping an ls1 with heads and cam into it, but for now, little appearance mods will have to do.

Mods I have done so far:
                  Shorty antenna
                  Yellow high beams
                  Yellow fog lights
                  IS lip splitter
                  Adjustable clutch stop

Here is a picture of when I first got it. Sorry for the crappy pic, its the only one I have at the moment.
                  Looks hot congratulations!
                  If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values: they're hobbies.
                  Allthat3d

Comment

The e46 steering rack and tie rod ends that I ordered from rack doctor are finally here. I thought I ordered a purple tag e46 rack but I got a gold tag instead, which is better because the gold tag is for the zhp steering rack.... Free upgrade I guess . As for the tie rod ends, I asked for e36 tie rods but I think I got e46 tie rods instead. From the light research that I have done, e46 racks work on e30's with a combo of e46 inner rods and e36 outer rods, but not with e46 outer rods because they are too long. My question is, how can I tell the difference between e46 tie rod ends and e36 tie rod ends?

Here is a pic of the two tie rods that I got. The one on the right is thicker and heavier then the one on the left, but they are about the same length. If they are both from an e36 then I prefer having the thiner one to avoid any clearance issues.

Here is another pic of the two tie rods from a different angle. As you can see, the one on the right looks to be more beefy.

Here is a pic of the e46 "zhp gold tag" rack that I got, and you can also see at the bottom right the 14mm spacers that go on top of the rack.
                    Last edited by z28; 12-13-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

I just checked with rack doctor and got it all straighten out, I should be getting the correct e36 outer tie rods soon.

Comment

took me over a year but i finally got my first e30

Congrats dear :)

Comment

Might try out rackdoctor to get me a z3m rack , i believe they sell rebuilt ones right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                          1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                          Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
                          1967 2002 parts car
                          1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Originally posted by Astha View Post
                            Congrats dear :)
                            Thanks ;D

Originally posted by JeLani View Post
                            Might try out rackdoctor to get me a z3m rack , i believe they sell rebuilt ones right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Yeah they sell rebuilt racks, they have a lot of options available. They do add a core charge though, which sucks, and the core has to be the same as what you order.

Comment

I have not driven the e30 in a couple days so this morning I decided to take it for a drive after the last couple days of rain. As soon as I got in the car I noticed that there was a pool party going on in the front passenger side, the foot well was completely flooded... Of course, the first thing I did was try to dry it out and then I took a quick look at the "elephant trunk" under the hood. The "elephant trunk" thing was completely clogged with dirt from top to bottom. I was so annoyed that I never took the time to clean it to avoid all that water getting into the car. If you guys have never cleaned that thing, clean it, it takes like 5 minutes to clean and its well worth it.

Comment

Gonna tackle the e46 rack swap tomorrow in the morning, hopefully it all goes well. Decided to center the steering rack tonight to cut down on the install time tomorrow.

Last edited by z28; 12-29-2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X