1985 euro 323i ->327i (exhaust woes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 Euro 323i turned eta

wish me luck with the head dissassembly tomorrow!

And check out the wheel thread because they started out bad bad
    BMW tech
    Umass Amherst
    05 wrx sti

Comment

Pulled the second head apart- it's basically mint! Very happy about that.
      Went through the obligatory exhaust manifold removal bitch bolts, found a new dremel technique for them.
      Only bad things are one little scratch around one of the main cam journals and the same thing in the head- but nothing compared to the other head.

Since I ain't got time for a machine shop to clean my head I measured it and got a big container from Walmart.

dish soap bitches!!! Came out better than I expected. Used HF brushes. Got the $16 engine brush kit and it helped me get most of those hard to reach spots.

Is that ^ a head bolt hole?? Yes it is! She's a ten ik

Exhaust ports were hard, did the best I could.

Intake side was cheese

Spark plug holes came out a lot better than before, still kinda gunky. The threads are uhh though

Can't forget about the valve seat side

Parts are done processing, hopefully will be here tomorrow if not, then monday and I can rebuild this and then start getting into the swap

Don't forget to oil your machined parts!!!
      BMW tech
      Umass Amherst
      05 wrx sti

Comment

Was 70 something here yesterday and I had an entire day off. Safe to say my friend Sam and I went hard! Head is off the eta, everything is disconnected and the harness is out.

GC coilover kit arrived

Brand new Yokohama s drives arrived 205/50/15

head gasket and water pump and gaskets and what not arrived as well, my garage is full of parts and tools, and the swap is coming along. Just finished rebuilding my first head, which is the head off of my old e30 which is pretty cool. Replaced the valve stem seals, and made sure none of the valves leaked with some paint thinner and the head upside down. Definitely a cool trick!

Suspension will be in soon, need to pick up some dremel wheels tomorrow to remove this weird piece on the front shocks that is too wide in diameter for the threaded sleeves on the coils to slip over the shock. One side is done, but ran out of dremel wheels :devil:

BBS's are almost done, have to polish one lip, torque two, and seal 3. :D

Interior is mid swap, going from red to black. Got a Kamotors intake for christmas and a ///m knob out of an e46.

Probably going to dif swap but going to drive the 2.7i to see how the 3.46 is and throw probably throw in the 4.10LSD because why not ;D

Somehow the o2 sensor came out first try, was amazing. And I just soldered the new o2 to the 89 harness because I had to cut it out of the old car. For some reason the solder would not stick to the wires, it was like solderphobic. Enough stuck though and I forgot to put the shrink wrap on before hand, so I'm going to get some of that perforated piping stuff and zip tie it at the ends, in case the electrical tape isn't sufficient to seal it from the elements.

The coolant was brown, bout time to replace that ish. Took old studs out of the exhaust side of the head and 11 came out easy with PB, a few hits with a hammer, and vice grips. One and only one took me and my teacher like 3 hours, then my teacher at auto taught me how to deal with studs. He's mad old and about to retire and said it was the hardest stud he's ever had to remove. I was torching it PBing it, vice gripping it. Finally a friend in class and I got it to move, but that was just the stud bending above the hole, and it broke. So my teacher showed me how to punch it, then drill it starting with a small bit, then tapping it. Awesome stuff.

Shoutout to my secret santa! The french yellow high's look mint!!!

Last edited by e30onBBSs; 03-10-2016, 08:45 PM.
        BMW tech
        Umass Amherst
        05 wrx sti

Comment

1985 euro 323i (mid head swap)

and she starts! Some major vaccum leaks because not everything is perfectly tidy and the valve cover is barely on but damn it feels awesome. The car is ready except for the dif and one wheel leaks air. Waiting for a couple parts to wrap the whole project up but then it's ready..

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

The bitch plug was corroded to death, so it was ready but had no power to the injectors. I crimped them together for now and will probably go snap connectors sometime. I got a deutsche connector and I'm pretty patient but for me I almost went insane when the connectors wouldnt go through the rubber gasket thing and would pull off the wire!!

Tightened the valve cover and what not and it idled. Took it for a short drive and it was baaaad. Then discovered the wiring problem, hopefully that's all it is
          Last edited by e30onBBSs; 03-24-2016, 06:57 AM.
          BMW tech
          Umass Amherst
          05 wrx sti

Comment

Did a power balance test by pulling plug wires and discovered why it was running like trash, only half the injectors were getting power! 2,4,6 did not change how the engine ran when I pulled the wire so that was a good find because it was real bad. Used a red butt crimp but it needed blue and didn't make a connection. I am making a better harness connector that's in the works with extended wires for easy access and different size butt crimps that lead to snap connectors so I will be able to disconnect the harness as I please. Still needs shrinkwrap/ electrical tape but will do that once it's all in the car and it's running like it should
            BMW tech
            Umass Amherst
            05 wrx sti

Comment

The harness works, but the car is way too loud for my taste. It runs at operating temp, everything seems good besides the exhaust which is awesome. From when I first got the car I've been fighting exhaust leaks on the front end of the exhaust. The cat back remus is awesome but the front pipes gotta go. I found a NOS exhaust, seemed like a fair price at $200 shipped on ebay so I copped it.

I got my exhaust off and the manifolds are frozen to the pipes, luckily I have two old manifolds from the 1989. The studs in those are frozen but hopefully a stud remover can get them out and new studs and nuts will be installed. I cut my exhaust right in front of the cat and am still not sure how I'm going to connect the two halves (HF welder?) but it's in the works and once this is done it will be leak free and should be a great car with some nice tone.

Another leak ^ say bye bye rusty hoes

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Can't tell through the video but it's loud as hell on the engine side and the leaks make it have poor throttle response and what not. Revving pasr 4500 is amazing though, having an m20 that can'r rev sucked ass
              Last edited by e30onBBSs; 03-31-2016, 08:58 PM.
              BMW tech
              Umass Amherst
              05 wrx sti

Comment

Working...
              X