No announcement yet.

1985 euro 323i ->327i (exhaust woes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna try to go 17 next spring but if they won't fit I'll do 16. There's like a foot of sidewall with the 14's!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Got new wheels yesterday, threw them on today. Went to back up and scrooooooot. They rub just bareeeely. Gotta throw on the h&r's once they come and see how it looks and feels with those.
      Had it on caps too! Don't scrape anymore
      BMW tech
      Umass Amherst
      05 wrx sti

Comment

The CarPhone is for the WIN!

Comment

What springs are you on?

Comment

Originally posted by crzylildude View Post
            The CarPhone is for the WIN!
            Thanks crzy!!

Originally posted by efficient View Post
            What springs are you on?

Racelands on the back. The fit on the front is perfect. I have hr sports in the mail but now I got these wheels those may be too high.. I removed the 3mm spacers earlier and it still rubs. Here are some pics.
            Rear fitment right side, for some reason it's lower on the right (passenger side) so I'm going to check if I have spring hats or not. It rubs but look at that.. So close to not rubbing!
            And here's the front
            Kinda hard to tell, I was in a rush- it's close but not rubbing
            BMW tech
            Umass Amherst
            05 wrx sti

Comment

1985 Euro 323i turned eta

I solved it r3v!
              No upper pad on the passenger side, just this metal thing.
              Got one off the parts car

Put it on top and kept the metal piece on the bottom

And we are good. So stoked. Been working on it since 11 and doing the spring compressor was pretty sketchy and I couldn't loosen it so I'm leaving it on the spring until I do the suspension removal on the parts car
              Last edited by e30onBBSs; 10-19-2015, 10:13 PM.
              BMW tech
              Umass Amherst
              05 wrx sti

Comment

Drove it this morning, sketchiest shit. It was still rubbing unless the road was real nice but not as bad as before. None the less, problems started on the way back to my home. It was rubbing horribly on the driver side, way worse than before. I take a side street and look back, and the tire is wobbling. ?! Get out, one of the PO's studs came out! The rubbing definitely didn't help. Anyways I am cutting the fender lip that is the culprit of the rubbing, and it looks great so far. I need more dremel cutters, getting them at work tonight to do the other side.

PSA: walmart sells dremel brand dremel parts dirt cheap. Went to sears to get more cutting wheels, it was $8.99 for 5 craftsman brand wheels. At my store it's a tad over $5 for 5 dremel brand wheels. They are the same exact product or I would bet the dremel brand is better.
                BMW tech
                Umass Amherst
                05 wrx sti

Comment

Sealed up the flanges, it's quiter. Suspension is nice, wheels need to be a bit thinner on the front but here she is!
                  BMW tech
                  Umass Amherst
                  05 wrx sti

Comment

The car phone is soooooo cool. I really want tog et one for my car, but I don't know why, lol.

*Beautiful car btw
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                      The car phone is soooooo cool. I really want tog et one for my car, but I don't know why, lol.

*Beautiful car btw
                      Thanks Stonea! It's fun dude it's like whoa wtf?! Why is there a phone in this car how freakin old is it?

Little update- I cut the lip off the fenders and it's completely perfect on 3/4 of the car besides the driver side front. I think it's out of alignment because it legit sticks out farther than the right side.

new parts coming in the mail
                      fuel filter
                      oil filter
                      exhaust manifold gaskets+ heat shields
                      copper manifold nuts
                      and 2 tie rod ends.

The exhaust is still a bit too loud for my liking and it comes from the manifold gaskets so once the new ones are in I hope it will sound and run even better than before. Once I do the tie rods and everything I'm going to get it aligned and hopefully the 16x8's will be perfect all around! I am looking for 16x7 or something smaller for for the front because the friction is pretty rough up front with 16x8 and no power steering, but if they fit right then I will stay square. Right now it's on caps up front, and the steering feel is amazing but it looks meh. If anyone on here wants to trade 2 wheels I'm down! I have 2 16x8 XXR 4x100's with 10/32 tread

The parts car has been sitting for a while and I'm going to get as far as I can on the trans tomorrow/driveshaft/dif.

Definitely going to do the head swap after the winter or work on it slowly throughout the winter. If I can get the parts car gone then I just might be able to swap it before the winter which would be pretty exciting. Once it's stroked then I am going to save $ for boost. I will have the funds after the winter but am just going to enjoy the 2.7i for a while until I want choochoo sounds!

Randomly there was en e36 btwn me and my friend's e46!
                      https://vimeo.com/143860834 sounds nice but should have better throttle response and it's a bit obnoxious when having to actually get up to speed. I feel like if I drive by a cop full throttle in 1st 2nd or 3rd that's game set match for a fix it ticket lol!
                      Last edited by e30onBBSs; 10-28-2015, 05:32 AM.
                      BMW tech
                      Umass Amherst
                      05 wrx sti

Comment

Went to put in new exhaust manifold gaskets/heat shields and all the studs were coming out? Weird! Anyways I have a lot of maintanence parts and just ordered new studs. Tie rod ends, air filter, fuel filter, sway bar links etc. Gonna be good!
                        BMW tech
                        Umass Amherst
                        05 wrx sti

Comment

Probably 10 out of 12 of my exhaust studs came out when I did mine.

Comment

Thanksgiving update =)

I picked up a 4.10 LSD and basically this is going to be a rip around town car. I have the mini for everything else so I'm going to make this a fun sunday/weekend car that will suck balls on the highway. I forgot I had to order a gasket for it and the lube because I was so stoked on the $50 set of drilled and slotted rotors all around!

I also found why the exhaust was such an ugly sound. There were two nice holes in the post manifold pipes pre cat, filled those with exhaust paste and that pushed the exhaust to the last hole which was about 15 inches from the beginning of the muffler. The paste wouldn't do the job for that so I hose clamped around it then pasted around the hose clamp and it's perfect.

In the meantime I finally sold the 89 is shell to some kids and now my driveway is much bigger and my parent's aren't butthurt anymore. Sold it for $20 and gave the kids a lot of random big parts for the cheap cheap. I hope it's a nice intro to the car world. It's going to take a shiiiit load of work to make that car run again well especially if they want to do an m50 swap like they said but props to them!

I was driving around a few times with the XXR's and it's mint because it's on ebay coils basically, so I raised it a few threads and it no longer rubs but the steering is so heavy. I bought my old BBS wheels back off my friend and just threw those on. It's low, it looks mint imo, and it feels light and nimble like it did with the caps! I love it, might just paint them for the sleeper old school feel. I really dig the black though so I'm not sure what's going to happen.

I finished up the exhaust manifold gaskets/studs, replaced the air filter, and tie rod ends. Fuck tie rod ends, I'm just gonna leave it at that. They pissed me off more than any project I have ever done on any car.

Then yesterday I put the drilled and slotted rotors on with ceramic pads. The brakes feel normal now which is pleasant compared to the shitty warped rotor life it was experiencing previously, and feels like a more modern car. I think it needs a brake flush because the pedal has a bit of spongy travel before they bite.

So the head swap is going to be a spring project and I cannot wait to tear into this thing. I'm pissed winter is coming but that's part of the NE life! This thing is going to be sleepy and faster than shit off the line! I'm super stoked and am slowly making a parts list I need for hardware. It definitely needs and alignment too lol even though it drives straight I think it's messed up a bit. I am going to place an order for more ebay coils because the rear doesn't have the adjustable part it just has the spring and then the adjustable threads are broken. Once those come I am going to throw in the used bilsteins and it's gonna be sweet.

exhaust tip photo cred to Sophie le gf
                            Last edited by e30onBBSs; 11-26-2015, 03:58 PM.
                            BMW tech
                            Umass Amherst
                            05 wrx sti

Comment

Was bored and decided to install the bilstein struts that came with the car on the rear. It was an absolute breeze. It feels a bit smoother on the rear.
                              BMW tech
                              Umass Amherst
                              05 wrx sti

Comment

UPDATE: Preparing for 2.7i. Ordered a boat load of parts and GC coilover kit all the way around. Tore apart one of my cylinder heads which looked mint, but it was not so mint. Cam journals are trash and some of the lobes are pitting. The "bearing" surfaces in the head if you will are very rough and they all have these two lines scratched into them. It appears like someone was running it with low oil pressure or not enough oil or something. So now I'm going to take apart my 2nd head from my old e30, and hope the cam journals and bearing parts in the head are straight! Everything besides the cam was good on the first head, so hopefully I can make one head with all these parts and not have to search for another head

I started labeling lines and what not in the engine bay, made sure the c101 was fully swapped by PO (it is;D) and threw it up on stands. Pulled both front struts, it was super easy. First job to not have a catch

LOL yea right we are talking about e30's, so after getting everything out, the shocks are corroded/rusted to the strut . Game plan; ride them until they blow then get "new use struts" and get billy's when the time comes.

I made a thread about my wheel choice in the project forum but I got my hands on some real 3 piece BBS RS032 wheels. I'm about 70% done just need to paint 2 faces, sand one face, and sand 2 lips, then torque the last two. I cannot wait to put them on the car!! I'm going to go 205 50 15 with some decent brand new tires.

Also picked up a set of mint black coupe door cards and a 4.10lsd. Got a ///m e46 weighted knob and a kamotors intake.

I have most of the parts assembled for the swap, just waiting for gaskets o2 sensor and what not from FCP, and of course getting a working head together :weak: which could turn out to be the biggest bitch of the project! I don't have a lot of time to work on the car and driving to get a head will really suck if it comes down to it but gotta do what I gotta do. Going to post pics from my phone
                                BMW tech
                                Umass Amherst
                                05 wrx sti

Comment

Working...
                                X