No announcement yet.

1973 BMW 2002 tii - Judge Judy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounted the wheels. Here are photos. I'm pretty stoked on them. The offset is a tad low and I don't like how they stick out 1/8" past the front fender, but I think I can live with that. And with the GC suspension, I know I can dial that out with some more camber. The rear fits nearly perfect, though I will have the rear fenders rolled next week for safety. I intend to go about an inch lower all the way around with the GC system. Things will clear, and they will look good, and ride good.

And a side profile shot, though the passenger side is leaning in since I'm parked into the gutter.

I like them. I'll get the car lowered and maybe throw the caps on to see the look.
    world renown Harry Potter expert
    sigpic

Comment

I'm coming to touch it soon.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

These wheels definitely make it look better in my opinion.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
          I'm coming to touch it soon.
          Please touch more than just my car

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
          These wheels definitely make it look better in my opinion.
          Definitely better, but I might take the front wheels in for a quick offset adjustment; pull the faces out half an inch so I get all tire under the fenders without having to rely on offset. Or something like that. Then I'd be at peace with this particular issue.

Last night I hand stripped my air box, brackets, and three pieces that make up the strut bar. Time to sand, prime, and paint satin black. Stoked.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
            I bet your dad is pissed he sold that car now too! But then again, from the time you were born to now, would be a substantial amount of time to hold onto a car that they probably didn't need at the time.

I hear that the 2k clear coat is very aggressive and will lift laquer-based color right off the surface. But using the three products and allowing time for each to dry, I didn't have any issue, and the clear is the highest quality I've seen, that has come from an aerosol can. It's so thick and glossy. You'd think these wheels were powdercoated.
            I know he misses it, but that car really was a mess. Rusted, in pieces, needed a new chassis wiring harness etc. The car he REALLY misses and regrets selling was a fjord blue 3.0cs tan leather, teak dash. But like you said, unfortunately the circumstances at the time weren't in the car's favor.

I'm very glad to hear you had such good results with that 2k clear coat. I've been on the hunt for a good product like that in a can to do smaller paint projects for which I don't feel like doing the whole setup: booth, gun, etc.

I sent a link for this thread to my Dad. He loved it. I have half a mind to try and track down his old tii to see if its still on the road.
            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
            Shadetree30

Comment

damn those wheels look great on the car. adding any center cap at all?
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                I know he misses it, but that car really was a mess. Rusted, in pieces, needed a new chassis wiring harness etc. The car he REALLY misses and regrets selling was a fjord blue 3.0cs tan leather, teak dash. But like you said, unfortunately the circumstances at the time weren't in the car's favor.

I'm very glad to hear you had such good results with that 2k clear coat. I've been on the hunt for a good product like that in a can to do smaller paint projects for which I don't feel like doing the whole setup: booth, gun, etc.

I sent a link for this thread to my Dad. He loved it. I have half a mind to try and track down his old tii to see if its still on the road.
                Don't do it. Keep the other half of your mind sane. I lost my mind many times over with these cars.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                damn those wheels look great on the car. adding any center cap at all?
                I have the correct hub caps for these wheels, though I'll probably never run them. I like the open-face look they have right now. GC suspension is on it's way. I should have this car sitting pretty very soon here.

I haven't posted much, but I've been very busy in the interim. I ripped apart the intake system, cleaned all the C-tubes, replaced many coolant hoses that encompass the kugelfischer pump, threw new gaskets on all the c-tubes, replaced a few tii linkage parts, threw it all back together, cleaned up some stuff, refurbished the tii airbox and the strut bar, and reinstalled those. The car runs great, no more coolant leak, and looks pretty again. I have about 20 hours in the engine bay in the last 5 days, and it's still no where I'd like it to be, but that will all change soon.

Looking back and the before and after shots of the engine bay is very rewarding.

Here is the before shot from day 1:

And here is the engine bay, as shot from above via iphone 6s about an hour ago:

Next up, finish the door card install. I'm chipping away at my to-do list, and gearing up for bodywork pretty soon here. I'm thinking that maybe I'll drive this car to the Bay Area show, and the 1600 (or both) to Pebble Beach weekend.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking that maybe I'll drive this car to the Bay Area show, and the 1600 (or both) to Pebble Beach weekend.
                  Drive both cars? You are good!
                  Seriously though, your cars and work are on point.

Comment

How do you find the time!? Awesome stuff.

What are you mainly using to clean your engine bay components?

-E
                    -ALaS

Comment

Originally posted by alas View Post
                      How do you find the time!? Awesome stuff.

What are you mainly using to clean your engine bay components?

-E
                      I don't have a real job, so I get to play with cars a lot.

As for products that clean the engine bay, I'm all over the place. I mix various chemicals together to make my cleaning solutions now. They probably cause cancer but I probably have 5 more years of really good health before I start getting cancer or AIDS or whatever, so I'll continue to make my own cleaners and use them.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ah I see. Well that must be nice. You've got to get paid for your car work!

Care to share what you would do to clean up some greased up/caked on wheels?

-E
                        -ALaS

Comment

Originally posted by alas View Post
                          Ah I see. Well that must be nice. You've got to get paid for your car work!

Care to share what you would do to clean up some greased up/caked on wheels?

-E
                          Honestly, I'd probably throw them into the dumpster. I hate caked on grease. That, or take them to my local steam clean pressure washer guy and give him $20 to go nuts on them.

But if I had to do it at home, and I didn't care about the wheel's finish because I plan to redo it all, I'd be using a concoction with gas, kerosene, purple power, & LA's Totally Awesome, mixed together. Apply using a spray bottle, agitate with a plastic or brass scrub brush, and make it all pretty again.
                          sigpic

Comment

Don't do it. Keep the other half of your mind sane. I lost my mind many times over with these cars.
                            C'mon you know it's too late for that. If someone is on r3v it means at least half their mind is long gone by now. And I'm pretty sure the other half of my mind is directly tied to the condition of my cars; one is in pieces and the other leaks every fluid everywhere... so yea tracking down a cute old tii would probably be therapy at this point
                            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                              C'mon you know it's too late for that. If someone is on r3v it means at least half their mind is long gone by now. And I'm pretty sure the other half of my mind is directly tied to the condition of my cars; one is in pieces and the other leaks every fluid everywhere... so yea tracking down a cute old tii would probably be therapy at this point
                              Get into one while the market still allows it. The days of $10k tiis that don't need complete overhauls are gone. Deals can be had, but they aren't common anymore. I stay away from public listings for this reason.

If you insist, I can probably help you find a decent car.

The tii has a big week in front of her. First, I'm sending the car to a local tii guru for some tuning. The car runs great when warmed up, but because one of the POs, who did most of the mechanical upgrades, won't divulge the most important information regarding it's upgrades and history, I will send it in for a PPI/tune up. I want to know what pistons are in it, what cam is in it, what other upgrades have been performed, have all parts of the mech. fuel injection system synchronized, have all facts detailed and notated on a document that I can now use as a foundation for knowledge on this car. And if in the process, it runs better and faster and stronger, I won't complain ().

Then I'll get the new GC suspension in, the IE stainless exhaust in, probably the new carpet in, send the seats out for some upholstery work via xXxAbduxXx, then FINALLY start thinking very seriously about the exterior aesthetic of the car.

This car will find it's way to a race track, though not intended for competitive racing. I want it to be mechanically sound, before I get there. But first, I'll drive down to the La Jolla Concours show and make the purists angry.
                              sigpic

Comment

drive it up to thunderhill for a 2002 track day

Comment

Working...
                                X