Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summer weekend warrior: New 91k mile '92 vert (now with 5spd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer weekend warrior: New 91k mile '92 vert (now with 5spd)

Was lucky enough to pick up a beautiful, lower mileage, alpine convertible this last week. It is a '92 auto (yeah, I know) with only 91k miles on a working odo and I am now the 4th owner. The car is pretty much 100% all original as it came from the factory, except for the husco armrest. The automatic top DOES, in fact, work. The top mechanicals have been refreshed and it has a newer canvas top.

The PO was a customer at the BMW dealership I work at and came in to pick up a new 335i. After learning he had an e30 to sell, I was asked to look at it and help him value it. I agreed to come look at the car and help him before it goes up for sale. Except after getting texted a picture and hearing "only 90k miles", it turned into "I might want this car" as I've wanted a late vert for awhile. I went down to see him a few days later to view the car. He had owned the car 8 years, purchasing the car with about 64k miles on it. He was an older man who always garaged it and was very meticulous with maintenance and saved receipts for any work he had done on it. After getting a test drive, I left with ideas in my head. I came back early that next morning with cash in hand, and drove it back home through Portland with the top down on a beautiful 80 degree day.

The plan is to pull off a few select parts off my sedan and put them on the vert, including the wheels and swapping the suspension. It had timing belt, water pump, and many other things done to it 5k miles ago, with receipts to prove it. Currently on my sedans' wheels as the seller kept the wheels it had, but it will get better wheels in the future as this car definitely deserves them. Thinking of getting a set of staggered Schmidts. I will miss a 5spd so hopefully that swap will come in the future

Now onto pics. Don't have many good ones yet, but I'll get my camera out once the suspension is swapped on from my sedan.

Original picture I saw of the car

Picking it up

Few shots now that it's home

Wheels, badge and smoked turns from off the sedan
    Last edited by shameson; 05-27-2017, 07:06 PM.
    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
    '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
    '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
    '91 Alpine 318is

Nice and clean. Enjoy!
    sigpic
    January 2012 COTM

Comment

Score!
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
      IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Nice find !
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it. Don't plan on molesting this one too much.
          '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
          '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Originally posted by shameson View Post
            Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it. Don't plan on molesting this one too much.
            Funny, I said the same thing. Luckily, I kept *every* single part that I've taken off the car (cabrio) that wasn't a wear item that I replaced, just in case I decided to ever put the car back to stock (HAHA).
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
              Funny, I said the same thing. Luckily, I kept *every* single part that I've taken off the car (cabrio) that wasn't a wear item that I replaced, just in case I decided to ever put the car back to stock (HAHA).
              Going to do the same thing, except for the suspension. I'm content with leaving the GC's on for the life of the car
              '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
              '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Got my coils swapped over. So now the vert has the GC built coils, control arms with poly bushings and m3 tie rod end links. Fronts still need to come down a bit, and the rears a little bit too, but for the most part I like how it sits. I didn't plan on lowering this quite as low as I had my sedan, but I still went ahead and ordered a Red46 skid plate as the one on my sedan was awesome and a quality piece. Also pieced together a set of Hella euro smileys that I can work on getting together and wired in. Took it for its first cruise this weekend and loved every minute.

'84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Great Looking vert, Interior and paint looks great for the age.

Comment

Looks really good!!! Nice score.
                    I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by fight4life28 View Post
                      Great Looking vert, Interior and paint looks great for the age.
                      Originally posted by markseven View Post
                      Looks really good!!! Nice score.
                      Thanks guys! It's 80% original paint, it had a respray on the passenger and they also sprayed to the quarter panel to help blend it. It had some scratches so the PO had it done. They did a great job as you wouldn't really know just by looking at it.
                      Last edited by shameson; 04-19-2016, 09:45 AM.
                      '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                      '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Just a small update. Red46 plate came and so did my fire extinguisher. Ordered a H3R Performance one, nice and small BC rated and with a chrome finish. Also comes with a mount. Going to install it in the trunk, probably above where the factory jack sits behind the quarter panel.

Have most of my Hella smiley parts together. Still need the low beam caps and the pigtails (if anyone has those let me know)

It was decently sunny Friday evening so I pulled it out to apply BMW's convertible top protectant I got hooked up with. Applies nice and easily with a sponge. Gave her a nice wash and tucked her away. While in the garage I installed my Ryan G splitter and a fresh battery and she sits waiting to be driven.

'84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                        '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Trying my best to keep this one looking sharp. Applied cal-tex's resin based spray (it was even developed in Germany) and used a clay mitt while it was still wet. The results are pretty good and it definitely shines! The pics are crappy iPotato shots and don't it justice.

Also finally adjusted the front coils down. Originally turned them all the way up for the suspension swap between the vert and the sedan. Still have to fine tune the rears, but after settling it looks great but I might take it back up just a tad more. I'm installing the red46 plate on tomorrow morning so maybe I won't once I have some peace of mind with the skid plate.
                          '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                          '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Took a few photos last week while we had a nice sunny evening. Also found a place with new staggered schmidts modern-lines which will be my next purchase hopefully within a month or two, and I can swap the yoko s-drives off my current wheels.

Last edited by shameson; 05-07-2016, 12:26 PM.
                            '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                            '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Took a trip down to BMW Portland yesterday and took advangtage of the warm weather and took the vert. Picked up a few things while I was there, among some other items I made sure to order a new vcg for when I pull mine to paint it and a square m54 oil filler cap to replace to regular round style.

Unfortunately, after I got home from the dealership I noticed a fluid trail from under the car...The car stayed cool all the way to and from downtown even through traffic in 85 degree weather luckily. Time to play the "what's leaking coolant now?" game. I had seen some sticky fluid the other day but it didnt appear to have come from car and thought one of my dogs peed in the garage. Not the case. Definitely was coolant. Going to pick up a pressure tester tomorrow to track it down this weekend.
                              '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                              '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Working...
                              X