No announcement yet.

formyhealth - 1991 318is Build Thread - now with 1000% more 1JZ-GTE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spec clutch and flywheel combo showed up today! I went with the Mustang EcoBoost stage 2+ which is good for 500+ HP so it should allow some room for power growth.

It's so fucking pretty.

Comment

Very cool stuff here. My friend absolutely loves this motor and wants to swap it into everything
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Very cool stuff here. My friend absolutely loves this motor and wants to swap it into everything
        Tell your friend that they have good taste.

Comment

A buddy is coming over tomorrow to help me pull the M42, so if anyone wants a running M42 and Getrag 260 transmission with 7 million miles on it let me know and I'll let it go cheap. The engine does have timing chain noise so it will need to be completely refreshed (which makes sense since it has 7 million miles on it).

Comment

Bye Felicia.

Comment

So I have been searching for new gauges since I don't really want to spend a lot of time or money on my old e30 gauges. I had been looking at Dakota Digital, AEM and Intellitronics but for the amount of gauges I want it was more cost effective to buy this instead.

Comment

Whoa. Cool project! I'm really curious to see how it fits, the engine looks really tall!

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                  Whoa. Cool project! I'm really curious to see how it fits, the engine looks really tall!
                  The engine is a tall bugger, about 4" taller from oil pan to valve cover gasket than the M42. I may be able to slide it far enough towards the firewall to allow it to drop. Another option I have toyed with is notching the subframe to allow for oil pan clearance, or leaving it alone and cutting up the hood for clearance.

I won't really know until I go in for a test fit, which is coming soon!

Comment

Test fit went pretty well.

A couple of things to note:

OAL from front of crank pulley to middle of shifter assembly on the 6 speed is ~6" longer than the original M42/Getrag 240 combo.
                    Booster will not work due to clearance issues, I solved that with a Tilton pedal box assembly.
                    Will have to cut the trans tunnel around the shifter assembly to allow the shifter to come through the tunnel, I'll split the difference at 3" behind original shifter position.
                    Large hump (where oil pickup is) of the oil pan sits directly on the middle of the subframe. It looks like we will be cutting the hood and having the engine sit slightly higher than trying to modify the subframe or notching the subframe.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
                      Large hump (where oil pickup is) of the oil pan sits directly on the middle of the subframe. It looks like we will be cutting the hood and having the engine sit slightly higher than trying to modify the subframe or notching the subframe.

Any ideas?
                      Can you modify the pan/ pickup? Are you able to move the setup forwad or backward a few inches to get the clearance?

Other option is to modify the subframe. Look up ArcAsylum
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        Can you modify the pan/ pickup? Are you able to move the setup forwad or backward a few inches to get the clearance?

Other option is to modify the subframe. Look up ArcAsylum
                        I will need to move the engine forward to allow me to keep the factory shift linkage, which will help but will still be more or less centered on the sub frame.

I could modify the pan, but the area of concern is right where the oil pickup tube is and I want as much oil around that as possible, which is why I have tabled that idea. I'll look into arcasylum, didn't they make sub frames for an LS swap or some thing?

Comment

More goodies showed up, a two pedal box from Tilton, 2 5/8" masters for the front and rear and 1 3/4" master for the clutch. Summit Racing is crazy, I ordered these Saturday night and chose free ground shipping and poof, here they are.

Comment

they make high-clearance subframes for installing rear-sump motors.

seems like this kit includes an oil pan with a slightly different profile - http://spartaperformance.com/2-0l-fo...-rwd-mounting/
                            cars beep boop

Comment

also, it sounds like your transmission being 3 miles long is causing all sorts of problems. Now that you have the motor, it might not be unreasonable to revisit your transmission choice and maybe find one that will be less annoying to fit.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

^I vaguely recall reading a miata 6 sp (NC?) trans bolted up to an ecoboost. Might be shorter...Miata parts are usually pretty cheap too.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X