June 2016 Car of the Month - irish44j

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June 2016 Car of the Month - irish44j

Editors Note: These next few COTM changes the direction to what E30s are naturally good at. And I knew which one I wanted to start with. I've tried to keep up with his build thread and there isnt enough free time to do it, but I love each and every update. A well deserved COTM and Im excited for the next few cars to follow this. Shows that a E30 can do so many things when given the proper treatment and we definitely have that here!...

Irish44j/Pitchblack Motorsports

Factory options:

1985 318i M10, 3.91LSD, power windows/locks, and a hand-crank sunroof.

Color:

Originally Schwarz

Interior color:
    none (because racecar - 2mAn)

Engine modifications:

Originally M10B18. Now M42 with Mustang injectors and Conforti ECU chip

Transmission:

G240 with Z3 shifter, Condor Speed Shop carrier bushings and shift knob.

Differential:

3.91 small-case twin-clutch LSD or 3.73 medium-case three-clutch LSD, depending on rally/rallycross

Suspension/Brakes:

Eibach 350# IE coilover conversion/Bilstein HD (front), e36 M3 stock springs/Bilstein HD (rear). Swaybars deleted. Condor diff/subframe bushings, offset upper mounts, M3 offset LCA rear mounts, IE rear mounts. rear strut brace integrated into cage, custom front strut brace, e30 325i stock brakes (originally drum rears) with Hawk HPS/HP+ pads.

Wheels:

5 x Euroweaves w/ Star Specs (street/track), 4 x IX weaves w/DMack DMG3 gravel rally tires (soft), 6 x bottlecaps w/ DMack (medium) and Altimax Arctics.

Exterior modifications:

Red46 Sump Armor custom skidplate (1/8" stainless braced with .095 DOM frame tube), 3/8" HDPE full underbody skids, sunroof delete w/roof scoop, Depo smilies, Hella 500s, LED lightbar, Lexan rear windows, tucked bumpers, trailer hitch.

Interior modifications:
    Rally America roll cage (NASA Rally Sport logbook), bent by Ozgur Simsek and assembled/welded by Ozgur and myself; flocked dash with custom center stack, full VDO gauge suite, iPad/rally computer Ram Mount, Sparco Evo FIA seats (2), Saferacer HANS harnesses, Stilo WRC Intercom, Rally America safety equipment. Trunk mounts for competition jack, toolkit, shovel, etc..

Story behind the car:
    Bought specifically for rallycross for $1000 off craigslist and the driveshaft almost fell off on the drive home. Has run Mod RWD class for four years with Washington DC SCCA Region (2015 champion) as well as SCCA Northeast Division champion (2015) and Great Lakes Division runner-up (2014). Also runs the occasional autocross, and it's my intention to, in the future, run wheel-to-wheel (possibly Chumpcar), SCCA hillclimb, NASA time trials, TSDs, ice racing, and eventually One Lap of America and someday maybe even the Alcan 5000 (I can dream). Built in the winter of 2015 to meet Rally America/NASA Rally requirements (cage, safety gear, etc) and ran the Wellsboro/Waste Management Winter Rallysprint in February 2016, finishing 3rd in class and 7th overall while destroying two wheels, two tires, and bending the rear spring perches but otherwise with no serious damage (Jim Spoth codriving). Upcoming a full season of rallycross (including the East Coast Championships) and the Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally (STPR). Also featured in the Washington D.C. National Auto Show in 2014.

My goals with this car since I bought it have been simple:
    -First, do all the work myself.
    -Second, build it reliable and tough. You can't win rally if you can't finish it, no matter how much horsepower and money you have in the car.
    -Third, find creative ways to do things to keep costs down.
    -Fourth, have fun with paint, tape, vinyl, and stickers (because racecar).
    -Fifth, use the car to get other people interested in motorsports - especially rally and rallycross.
    -Sixth, do every kind of motorsport possible in the car during the next few years - but with a primary focus on rally/rallycross.

A quick shout out to my sponsors/supporters/contributors: Condor Speed Shop, Red46 Sump Armor, Motorsport Hardware, Lightening Rallysport/Ozgur Simsek, dirty e-thirties, Race Cage Racing (the e30 Chumpcar team I drive with), Grassroots Motorsports, Washington DC SCCA RallyCross, and Shawn&Katie's Tire-mounting facilities.

I have a huge build thread here on R3V with way too many details and photos. Also please stop by and "like" our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/PitchblackMotorsports/?fref=ts

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Congratulations! I can dig it!
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
    IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

yeahhhhhhhhh

Love rally e30s.
      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Another of one of the great r3v threads!
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Thanks Simon and everyone. It's been a fun build and it's not even close to done yet. Someday it will get more power, but in the near-term we're going to concentate our finances on getting to more events, including this year's Black River Stages rally in September! Also on track for another WDCR SCCA rallycross championship this year, and shooting for the Eastern National Championship title as well - all with the extra weight of the cage and rally stuff in the car :)

Also, please go "Like" our facebook page if you're on there. More likes = more love from sponsors with any luck!

Pitchblack Motorsports / Rally, Burke, Virginia. 3,401 likes · 738 talking about this. Pitchblack Motorsports/Rally Car: 1985 BMW 318i (M50) Driver: Josh Hickey Codriver: Jim Spoth Crew Chief: Josh...
          Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop
          visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I love the pics of this thing kicking up mud, but I really want to see one of it catching air. got any?
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              I love the pics of this thing kicking up mud, but I really want to see one of it catching air. got any?
              Not at the moment. At WMWR during the jumps we tried to keep it on the ground for the most part (we actually bent the rear frame mounts because our rear springs were binding in full compression).

Will try to get some air shots at Black River Stages in September. I know there are a number of jumps at that rally
              Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop
              visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Ride looks good, hope its been built to take the speed

Comment

Was always a fan of this build. Completely deserved!

Comment

Working...
                  X