Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zeemz View Post
    Mike, sorry I wasn't around Saturday to lend you a hand. Great work though!
    Sorry for giving you such short notice! I'll have a bunch of other projects this summer so we'll get some wrenching time at some point.

I spent a few minutes creating a "Table of Contents" at the top of the first post in this thread. I'd like to come up with a better way to display the maintenance log as well.

Comment

Hi R3V. It has been a while. I have a couple of small updates!

Hood Roundel Replacement

About a year ago a fellow E30 owner pointed out that my hood roundel wasn't correct. The previous owner had installed new roundels, but installed two trunk roundels. The trunk roundel fits on the hood, but it's not flush. It only took a year for me to get around to ordering the correct hood roundel and installing it (wasn't a huge priority).

Trunk roundel installed on hood:

Hood vs trunk:

Correct hood roundel installed:

VDO/Continental TR7412UB-OR Head Unit

I've been looking for a new head unit that offered some modern conveniences such as hands-free calling and music streaming, yet still looked somewhat OE and matched the rest of the interior. I ordered a VDO/Continental TR7412UB-OR over a month ago and after 3 shipping delays it arrived last week. Also, it arrived without a harness because apparently they don't ship with a harness. After some research I ordered a VDO harness from here.

Installation was straight forward. I opted for crimp caps instead of soldering. I may go back and solder at some point. Whoever installed the previous JVC unit cut the vehicle's wiring harness so I don't have the OEM connectors.

The VDO unit sounds MUCH better than the JVC. The buttons on the VDO match the rest of the interior nicely and provide positive tactile feedback. The bluetooth/phone integration actually works better than in my 2015 328xi wagon.

The VDO unit came with an external microphone, but I read reviews that the internal microphone worked well so I didn't install the external one. After installation, a quick call to my wife proved that to be true. She could hear me just fine with the internal microphone.

I'm very pleased with the result!

JVC unit that was installed prior to my ownership:

Wiring before:

Wiring after:

Installed!

Illuminated buttons and screen are a close match the rest of the interior buttons:
      Last edited by mike.bmw; 07-04-2018, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Wow great find on that head unit! looks great, may have to switch mine to that one day

Do you have any night photos of it?

RICHTER MOTOREN

1987 e30 325is Zinno - Restoring
        2004 e46 325xi Alpine - Daily
        2003 e46 330ci Topaz - Sold
        1988 e30 325is Zinno - RIP
        2007 Honda Ody - Family Truckster

'87 325is Restoration Build

Comment

I would love to hear an update on this head unit once you get used to it and enjoy it. Its the exact same one I was looking at and would love to hear your long term feedback on it!
          Steve • Toronto
          1991 318is • Brillantrot
          Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Richter View Post
            Wow great find on that head unit! looks great, may have to switch mine to that one day

Do you have any night photos of it?
            Originally posted by Powling View Post
            I would love to hear an update on this head unit once you get used to it and enjoy it. Its the exact same one I was looking at and would love to hear your long term feedback on it!
            Thanks! I have updated my post above with a night shot. The screen is always illuminated, but the buttons only illuminate when you turn you on the lights.

I will definitely post more feedback, but so far things are looking good! :D

Comment

Nice little update!

I'm wondering though, what's up with the covering plate under your steering wheel?
              Why is there a bump, never seen one like that before.
              1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
              1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                Nice little update!

I'm wondering though, what's up with the covering plate under your steering wheel?
                Why is there a bump, never seen one like that before.
                Thanks! The covering panel is different for airbag cars, so maybe that's what you're seeing? Also, behind that panel there is some metal bracing which may be specific to US cars for safety and crash rating standards. I've seen the same panel on other US e30s with airbags.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                  Thanks! The covering panel is different for airbag cars, so maybe that's what you're seeing? Also, behind that panel there is some metal bracing which may be specific to US cars for safety and crash rating standards. I've seen the same panel on other US e30s with airbags.
                  Must be US specific then. My iX had originally an airbag steering wheel but has the regular flat panel.
                  1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                  1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I need to change my roundels too... my rear isnt as bad as my front.

What did you do with the old rear one that was on the front? Also, where did you buy the front one from? Ive heard there are big variances in quality depending on where you get them from
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      I need to change my roundels too... my rear isnt as bad as my front.

What did you do with the old rear one that was on the front? Also, where did you buy the front one from? Ive heard there are big variances in quality depending on where you get them from
                      I still have the extra rear roundel. Was considering using it for another project. ;D

I bought the front roundel from ECS. It's an official BMW part and came with new rubber nubs for installation. The quality seems to be good. All the front E30 OEM roundels run in the $35-45 range, which I thought was a bit expensive.

Comment

I really like the look of that radio
                        1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                        COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Brake Refresh Part 1

Last night I started the process of replacing my rotors and pads. Unfortunately I hit small snag with a rotor retaining screw, so I only had time to finish the fronts. I plan to tackle the rear rotors, pads, and a fluid flush later this weekend when I have a free hour.

The set includes Zimmerman coated rotors, Pagid pads, Motul 5.1 fluid, 4 new rotor retaining screw, front and rear sensors, and brake grease.

After installing the fronts, I took the car out to bed the pads. Once bedded the braking is MUCH improved over whatever was previously installed. The previous pads had terrible initial bite and required more-than normal pedal pressure to slow the car down. The Pagid pads have great initial bite and give excellent pedal feel.

New parts:

Ready to start work:

The rotors had plenty of meat left. The pads were getting a little low. The rotors are cheap enough that I opted to replace them anyway.

All apart:

First side done:

The rotor retaining screw head stripped on the driver's side. I had to drill off the head, remove the rotor, and use an extraction tool to get the retaining screw out:

Driver's side complete:

Comment

Nice work [emoji1476]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                              Nice work [emoji1476]
                              Thanks!

Brake Refresh Part 2

Today I tackled the rear rotors and pads. I've had the rear apart before to inspect the parking brake. When I reassembled it I applied anti-seize to the bolts, so it all came apart without issue for the tasks today.

I floated the question to my 4 year old daughter, "Hey, do you want to help me work on the car today? I can show you how to use the real tools. (She has a plastic set for kids.)" She said yes and was excited to come out to the garage. I was expecting her to get bored after a few minutes, but she stuck with it the entire time. I broke the bolts loose, she ratcheted them off. I started threading the bolts on, she ratcheted them on. The whole thing took 3 times longer than normal, but it was fun.

The coating on the Zimmerman rotors comes off during the bedding procedure. Don't use brake clean on the coating, just normal soap and water to remove grease and oils. I did use brake clean on the calipers and caliper bracket prior to reinstallation.

Impressions so far: Engaging ABS has never been so easy, but the price is paid in brake dust. I'm very happy with the feel and performance of the Pagid pads (for the street), but they dust a considerable amount.

In the coming weeks I plan to flush the fluid (part 3). I don't remember who I lent my power bleeder to, so I may enlist the help of my wife to pump the brake pedal.

Taking out the rotor retaining bolt:

Driver's side before:

Driver's side after:

Passenger side apart:

Passenger side complete:

Comment

Very cool that your daughter was willing to get involved!

I need to change my brakes soon too, nothing really wrong with them, but I dont know the history, and I also need to adjust my e-brake. It engages pretty high up. I havent really dealt with the rear brakes much on the E30s Ive owned so it will be a "fun" afternoon of cursing ... at least thats what Im expecting right now. Curious what a good balanced street pad is that doesnt dust like crazy, mine right now are covered. I really need to go wash my car.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X