Ruby's Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levy3Poop View Post
    The formatting got fucked up, but meet my new 2014 FJ Cruiser: The Green Bastard!
    Green Bastard gets dirty so Ruby can be clean!
    I won't post too many pics of GB cause this isn't the forum, but man I love FJs lol
    well actually, in 2021 we started a bunch of truck threads so you need to start a new thread for the green bastard. Lots of domestic trucks so it will be nice to see an Import in the mix
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      well actually, in 2021 we started a bunch of truck threads so you need to start a new thread for the green bastard. Lots of domestic trucks so it will be nice to see an Import in the mix
      Very nice! Sent from my motorola edge using Tapatalk

Comment

I like this thread!
        BMW E30 M3 - S50B32
        www.e30.is

Comment

Long time no update. I haven't been driving Ruby nearly as much since I got the Fj cruiser, but Lindsay and I took Ruby for a spin the other day with Astro in the back, and man....I had forgotten how much a joy she is to drive.
          I'm motivated to get the engine swap done more so than I have been in a long time.

One of the things that was holding me up because I just wasn't sure about was the brake booster. I knew I need a new one for the 24v swap.
          I found that Tangent Innovations makes a plug and play adapter for the E60 brake booster, So i ordered that and a booster off amazon.
          That means I have less excuses to not get to work!

I went ahead and finally put on the new thermostat for the M54 yesterday. It was just sitting in the box under the engine on the stand.
          I took a dremel with a brass wire wheel to the mating surfaces first to make sure the seal was good, and popped the new thermostat on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220325_134335240.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	10050935

Nice, now for another small and easy thing I found in my box of M54 parts: the oil filter housing gasket!

Name:	IMG_20220325_135149868.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	10050936

Hmm...that gasket looks like it was new already, and that mating surface looks like it's been wire-wheel'd already...Have I done this before?
          Oh well, the one from the bag in the picture is now on the engine.

Baby steps. I have tons of parts for this swap that I JUST NEED TO DO!
          I'm so frustrated with myself taking forever on this.
          I just have to keep SOME progress coming regularly and not get used to stagnation.

Comment

Another small update on the M54. The other day I wire wheeled the mating surface, and replaced the water pump.

Here's the pump-hole after I treated the surface

Name:	IMG_20220326_133410169.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	10051118

Here's the guy that went in. It's got the metal assembly with the metal fins, so no plastic./
            The o-ring was a bit too grippy, so I just put a thiiiin layer of anti-seize on it to help the water pump slide into place.

Name:	IMG_20220326_132837254.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	10051117

Here she is all installed and ready for action!
            I was bored, and even took the brass wire wheel to the nuts haha
            it's quite satisfying to watch the hardware turn shiny in front of you

Name:	IMG_20220326_135136213.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	10051119

I also cleaned up the mating surface for the VANOS gasket

Name:	IMG_20220326_140534009.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	10051120

That's it for now. Baby steps will keep me from standing still again!

Comment

Levy3Poop did you ever figure out why your Aux fan resistor was getting so hot? Having the same issue…
              Last edited by snowfox; 06-19-2023, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X