Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another for the Collection - Mtech 2 Vert S50!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
    You are doing Gods Work.
    Great job.
    Thanks man, I think I'll be getting the 5speed in by next week :D

So yesterday I went over to my Dads place and he lend me a hand. We replaced the front input shaft seal and rebuilt the shift linkage. Someone obviously did the output shaft seal at some point because not only did our air impact fail tontake the that nut off on the back side, you can see an abnormal amount of blue loctite on the threads. I'm not too worried about it though, there was no evidence leaks in the first place, I was just doing it for a "while your in there" kinda thing. We also replaced the center support bearing on the driveshaft but unfortunately I don't have a pic.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Alright guys no more fooling around, the real build starts now! Yesterday I had a chance to pull the exhaust, driveshaft, transmission cooler lines, and transmission out from under the car. Sad part is I have access to a lift at work yet I knew this would be a few day project so I didn't bother attempting it there. So far, so good! I even had a chance to get the new pedals installed. One thing I was pretty shocked by was the rear main seal was dry, but since I'm going threw all this work I of course replaced it. Tomorrow I hope to get the transmission at minimum bolted in, plus I still need to route the new hydraulic lines.

Pressure washing the transmission at work, you can see my wagon in the background

And then a small problem.. The jacks weren't placed high enough to get the transmission out! Luckily the car only needed to be raised by a 1/4 inch more or so, I just used my jack.

Yes I know the little rubber pedal pads are removed, they where covered in dirt/ mud and I wanted to clean them. Actually I'm considering just buying news ones.

Comment

Alright so some more work done! At this point all I had to do was bleed the clutch but I screwed up, I cut the nipple too short on the reservoir which mean's now I'll have to buy a new one or find a good used one since that line feeds the master cylinder fluid. Besides that everything's installed. Well, I guess I don't have a shift knob yet and the center console is out but you guys get the point.

The transmission was a total pain getting the splines all the way in. I ended up having to slowly draw the transmission in using two transmission bolts and it finally seated all the way flush with the block, no fun. Regardless I'm sure all the work will be worth it.

I ended up buying a new Sachs clutch kit and both brand new master/ slave clutch cylinders. I even got a new line which goes from the slave cylinder and runs up the firewall.

Removing the plug on the firewall and installing the correct grommet for the clutch master line to go threw.

New line attached with a brand new proper factory retaining clip.

Comment

Doing it right as always and I've got a spare reservoir
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Nice! I can't wait until I swap my car over to 5speed
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
              Doing it right as always and I've got a spare reservoir
              I might need that from you :D. I was going to check the local junk yard this weekend in hopes they'd have one so I can get it running/ driving this weekend but if that doesn't work out I'll defiantly need yours.

Comment

So I was lucky and the junkyard yet again had what I needed, a brake reservoir. Even if they didn't though I'm sure my buddy Jeff on here would of had one laying around his house, he seems to have everything I need! :D I didn't screw around this time and used a 90° air die grinder to perfectly modify the nipple on the reservoir used for the clutch line feeding the master. Everything fit like a glove, I cleaned the slight dirt build up it had on the inside with some brake cleaner and on it went. I bled the clutch and took it for a test drive, I'm happy to say all gears shift smoothly with no grinding. Now one other thing I have to say is this was so much damn work I don't think I'd ever take a shot in the dark again pulling a unknown millage trans. from a junkyard for a swap, it's just such a gamble and after putting in 15hrs? Easily more, It would be a huge disappointment if the parts you grabbed were bad.

While I had the exhaust out I decided I might as well paint the muffler tips with some high temp paint, they where already black but it faded over the years. Extremely happy with the results, its a perfect finish for an exhaust. And of course I couldn't forget the pic of genuine BMW DOT 4 brake fluid I used!

Even after all this work though I still have a couple last finishing touches to do to the car/ swap. First off I need to hook up the reverse wiring along with the cruse control. Secondly I need to have an exhaust bracket tab welded on, it looks like the catalytic converter's differ between the auto's and manual cars by means of the exhaust bracket (the one in the center of the car, there's a bracket bolted directly to the trans). Basically the exhaust hanger tab which is spot welded on your down pipes is in a different spot depending on what transmission you have, and since the automatic trans is a bit longer the tab is too far back to be used. Lastly, and we all know this won't be the last thing, I need to reinstalled the center console, buy a shift boot, and shift knob.

Don't mind the vents being removed, I had them off since I detailed the car.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 01-28-2018, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Ugh I cant wait to swap the auto to a manual.... but i really dont want to do it myself
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    Ugh I cant wait to swap the auto to a manual.... but i really dont want to do it myself
                    Dont be a baby....get that shizz done bishhhh ;)
                    -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                    91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                    08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                    04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                    Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                    Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Congrats! Can't wait till mine is 5 speed swapped. I've had a hell of a time finding a complete swap from one car.
                      1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                      SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                      Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        Tackle it! Totally worth it and having the 4.10 in the rear makes this thing a real go devil, seriously.

Originally posted by TFJR View Post
                        Congrats! Can't wait till mine is 5 speed swapped. I've had a hell of a time finding a complete swap from one car.
                        I had the same issue and unfortunately had to piece together this swap. When I got to the junk yard the fellow already had the driveshaft, shiftier linkage, transmission cross brace, clutch lines AND was working on removing the pedals under the dash. He planed on pulling the transmission but said wasn't up to the challenge pulling it with out a second hand and took off with all those parts he pulled. Of course I drove all that way and didn't want to leave empty handed so took the tranny. I guess it made it a little less work for me since the driveshaft and stuff was removed but wish everything would have been left untouched and got everything from one car. I guess on the bright side of things I now have a brand new shiftier selector installed/ brand new clutch lines.

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                          Tackle it! Totally worth it and having the 4.10 in the rear makes this thing a real go devil, seriously.
                          Unfortunately, my 88 has a 3.73 in the rear... open too...

I am going to source things like the bushings, master/ slave cylinders, pedals, etc and then I have to wait until the owner of my previous E30 goes to a 6 speed swap because I will buy the G260, driveshaft and a few other pieces from him that he wont be using.

I think I will end up swapping steering racks first and then the transmission after. Not in a rush honestly because living in LA having an auto isnt bad. Sucks for the canyons though
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

hello nice to meet you :D my congrats to you
                            WordPress Forms - WordPress Photo Gallery

Comment

Got some new OEM roundels for the center caps :D. Also went for a drive and snapped a few pics.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 11-06-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Gotta sub to this awesome build. I've got some work to do on my Appearance Group M Tech as well! Keep the working top mechanism if you can! It will make your car that much rarer to have a working top.

Comment

Working...
                                X