Cirrusly Blue - The Daily Driver E30... now SUPER powered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
    I gotta say, sitting in traffic, blowing cold AC in your 80s car feels pretty badass.
    Working extra hard to do the same in the current E30. Its probably the best thing to have...
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Minor update I'll post.
      Pulling the whole rear end this weekend for bushings etc etc etc. Any r3v'rs in the LA area bored come help--er i mean hang out
      Got a 3.15 torsen from a z3 and got that all prepped.
      We're in deep now boys
      1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
      1988 340iL - Track car
      My M60 V8 swap thread here
      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

I can probably head down there for a little while on Sunday. I’ll text you
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

car is still alive

rear end refreshed. still has some clunk somewhere.

exhaust clunks too. hard to diagnose.
          AC works good after replacing dryer and switch, condenser. nice and cold sitting in traffic 90deg

euro grills
          different brake booster and master, brakes work now
          new shift boot
          its a daily what do you want from me!?
          Last edited by dasmanschaft012; 07-01-2019, 09:21 PM. Reason: pics
          We're in deep now boys
          1988 340iL - Track car
          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
            its a daily what do you want from me!?
            something cool thatll make it less reliable
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
              something cool thatll make it less reliable

Lol he already did that with the other 88 sedan he has
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Lol he already did that with the other 88 sedan he has
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Update: I DYNOd IT

Stock 88 SETA 2.7 bottom end, stock 885 'i' head. 19# injectors, SSSquid 91oct tune. 144whp/155wtq on Dynojet. Superior Automotive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Azj3344.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	9866594

If you can't read, thats 144whp/155wtq! This is actually ~5 hp and tq more than my old black car with the 2.7i on the same dyno. I'd say shes healthy enough! I think the head is the most worn out part of the motor.
                  Prior to the dyno day, I swapped MAFs, this fixed the AFR and got rid of the majority of the driveability problems with the car. Unfortunately, I've started seeing some idle fluxuation again, car smells rich, 2nd dyno pull was pinging, some flat spots, so I'll be getting a refurb'd AFM at some point.

The other thing that helped a ton on driveability is the AC-on-to-ECU signal. Make sure this connector by the ECU is plugged in! It tells the ECU to compensate for the compressor while its on. Otherwise, idle will bounce around and stall out occasionally with the extra load.

Click image for larger version  Name:	jzadAZm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	9866595

Also, the fan/alt/WP belt randomly shredded a few weeks ago nearby home. Luckily i had a spare in the trunk, and swapped it on the side of the road. Due to the overheating, the old auto rad cracked, so the car now has a new rad and all new hoses. Keep those spares people! Summer kills old cars.

Got some shitty fill-n-drill style 4s (?), I hate them, they keep loosening up, i had to run spacers just in the front, and hub rings all around. The fill-n-drill is filled, but not well. Looks ok with the fake alpina caps. 16x8, 205 tires.
                  I hate them, they make me nervous. I'm looking for other wheels right now, someone sell me something cool!

Click image for larger version  Name:	HdUxuNm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	9866596
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	tMFL3sB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.4 KB ID:	9866597
                  Last edited by dasmanschaft012; 09-07-2019, 09:34 PM.
                  We're in deep now boys
                  1988 340iL - Track car
                  [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Thanks to Jean for the hub, I got a used leather Momo installed, and I gotta say, it really ties the room together.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	SDbOkzB.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	9866600

Name:	pH4lIgr.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	9866601

Roommate moved out, so now I have a full 2 car garage, and got myself a Quick jack (costco FTW)

Name:	1j21bB0.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	9866602

Name:	0U6Gj4g.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	9866603

Unfortunately, the trans has started making some ugly noises getting into gear, so I'm starting to prep my spare 5sp for install.

And why not, I got a tow rig! '03 GMC Yukon XL 1500 Denali. 6.0/4L65E

Name:	V7Zc874.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	9866604

That's all I remember what I've done lately. Generally, just driving to to work and back, enjoying the car as-is. Focusing a lot of my drift car.
                    -J
                    We're in deep now boys
                    1988 340iL - Track car
                    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

I can't stop spending money, so I got some different wheels for my m60 e30, and swapped it's TRMs over to blue. The style 4's have a garbage fill n drill, so I was uncomfortable driving on them for much longer. Required hub rings and a spacer, and lug nuts still would loosen up on me. I pulled them off tonight, and I did see some chipping and cracking around the lug seats. I'll be offloading them soon I hope.

TRM C1 15x8, 225/45r15 RS-RR (I'll get a better picture in the daylight)

Name:	hzdjehE.png
Views:	557
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	9866978
                      We're in deep now boys
                      1988 340iL - Track car
                      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

How do you like the quick jack? The convenience seems nice, but the ability to only go about as high as jack stands is a drawback to me.

Also, do you have pictures of the fill n drill? Curious to see what it looks like.

15x8 c1's look good

Originally posted by 2mAn
                        The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

The Quick jack is awesome. I'd say it goes as high as jack stands maxed out oir maybe a little higher. Its much more stable at that height as well, safety is a priority with me. With my 240, the frame rails and pinch welds are so crunched up, i never feel safe under it with normal jack stands.
                          I don't regret the purchase and I use it all the time now, but if you're still young and spry, don't think you're missing out on anything by sticking with jack stands. Takes about the same amount of time to jack it up/ lift it up as well, assuming you're familiar with the car.

I forgot how stable and solid this wheel/tire set up feels. (loud af feddies tho)

Name:	cRyyyzN.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	9867901
                          We're in deep now boys
                          1988 340iL - Track car
                          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

I hope someday this car will get a paintjob too.... but at the same time I aint ad at cha if it never does... cirrusly...
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Well some bad news today. Was cruising to dinner, trans all of a sudden lost 1 2 and R. Prepping my spare trans as we speak.
                              video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

We're in deep now boys
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Here we go! Manual to manual swap. Good on the table bad on the ground.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2szenyf.jpg?1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	9869557

Had a professional (nice to be friends with mechanics) help out doing the actual trans swap itself. Got them swapped in no time.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	A9WZVOm.jpg?1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	9869558

All done
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	PTpdirh.jpg?1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	9869559

Shes back to a driver... for now... needs more AC work as a hose is going to fail any day now.

A lot of the previous work done on this car was done by a certain jackstand mechanic in north LA... if you know you know. Do not go to him if you care about the quality of work done on your car.
                                1/2 of the bellhousing bolts were missing, the rest were loose. 1 of the locknuts for the slave cylinder was missing. No dig on 2mAn here, lessons have to be learned, you get what you pay for. I've learnt this lesson over and over cuz im cheap, but slowly starting to change my ways.
                                Happy to have the car still, excited to drive to work on Monday and see if the whine is gone.

-J
                                We're in deep now boys
                                1988 340iL - Track car
                                [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Working...
                                X