Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• betz
    replied
    Well I'm fairly certain it's the injectors. Tried spraying some starting fluid in a vacuum line and I think I heard it run briefly and I got smoke out the back. Not sure if it could be I'm not getting enough fuel pressure though..

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Ran the fuel pump with a power supply, confirmed getting fuel back on the return line. I'm kind of out of ideas. Injectors maybe? They're the M50 green top. There's no way they're so messed up the motor won't start though...

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    So I swapped out the starter, and all is good. But the engine still won't start.

Checked for spark and I have spark. Checked my fuel return line and there was no fuel in there though.

Still working on it

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    charge up the battery and give the starter a good whack. Thats how we got my friends land rover and 4runner to start. Similar sounds were being made before hand

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Im not an expert, but Im pretty sure it should still work. Smack the starter and see if the plunger is stuck and not coming out as far as it should

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Shit... I tried starting it and it sounds like the starter isn't engaging. I hear it spinning and grinding a bit.

I have a single mass 325e flywheel and am using the smaller late model starter that actually came out of my 323i. It looked exactly like a late model starter so I assumed that's what it was. I actually have both a starter out of a '91 and the original one out of an "e" on hand

Anybody know how to fix this? Also worth noting the battery was absolutely dead and I charged it with a DeWalt charger with an engine start function
    Last edited by betz; 11-09-2017, 10:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Very cool. I want you to know that your thread is forcing me to drain my savings to start buying the 2.8L M20 parts Ive been wanting to get

I would say the same exact thing if I wasn't dead set on the m30. However I think I might save my 2.7 and build it for a 2002...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Kedge
    replied
    Originally posted by betz View Post
    Does the green wire not go to the positive lead on the ignition coil (green wire)?

By the way, if you wrote that article there I want to say thanks. I have already read through it multiple times and it was incredibly helpful for this build.

I wrote that article after spending an absolute age trying to suss out this very issue myself, very few people in the UK were willing to divulge the information at the time for some reason.

C104
    Pin 1 - BK - Engine Speed to the tachometer
    Pin 3 - WT or WT/YL - Fuel Rate Input

I cannot find any reference anywhere of anything connecting to Pin 2 on the C104, that includes going through the BMW ETM.

Leave a comment:

• AC_Schnitzel
    replied
    looking good man. I recently bought some parts to do my 2.7i "stroker" build -- so exciting to see this come together for you.

would love to see it in person once it's running!

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Very cool. I want you to know that your thread is forcing me to drain my savings to start buying the 2.8L M20 parts Ive been wanting to get

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Big progress for a weekday. I got the radiator in, the exhaust all hooked up, and the spark plugs and wires in. Also hooked up the reverse switch which I had to resolder. All that's left is filling my tank with 91 octane, hooking up a few coolant hoses, filling with coolant, wiring the C104, and testing with a multimeter for which plug is the CPS and which is the CID because they're both identical and bother have yellow and blue wires, in BMWs infinite wisdom.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by Kedge View Post
    Have a read of this regarding the C104; http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...nic_1.3#Loom_2

I wrote the above, after doing that same conversion to my own car.

Does the green wire not go to the positive lead on the ignition coil (green wire)?

By the way, if you wrote that article there I want to say thanks. I have already read through it multiple times and it was incredibly helpful for this build.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by AC_Schnitzel View Post
    whats different with the 323i tach? looks like the econogauge is in Km?
    The most important thing is that the tach goes to 7k. The only other differences is the fuel tank counts to 55L and the econometer is in L/100km. I've also resoldered the joints on this gauge cluster and I know everything except the odometer works.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by AC_Schnitzel View Post
    whats different with the 323i tach? looks like the econogauge is in Km?
    It was probably a full euro cluster since the 323i were gray market. Looks like they swapped the speedo for one thats in MPH, but left everything else alone. Might need to get a 325i speedo though since you will be able to max out the current speedo, which I believe is from a 318

Leave a comment:

• Kedge
    replied
    Have a read of this regarding the C104; http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...nic_1.3#Loom_2

I wrote the above, after doing that same conversion to my own car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X