2.8L M20 9.8:1 stroker build: my 323i reincarnated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kedge View Post
    Good to hear that you’ve got it running. The oil incident shouldn’t cause any issue for you, just a nice clean up sesh 🤣.
    Shit hit the fan. So much oil. Took like 2 bottles of simple green and 2 and a half paper towel rolls. Sorry environment.
    Try and get some good injectors in there ASAP, my M20B28 was pinking on the M20 injectors, even did it on the M50 injectors until I increased the fuel pressure.
    Just bought some from CA tuned. Unfortunately MEPEH is out of commission.

So you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? I think mine is a 3.0 bar late model FPR, Bosch 0280160249. I'm thinking that'll do fine for now but I know the M50's were originally something like 3.5 bar.
    '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by betz View Post

So you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? I think mine is a 3.0 bar late model FPR, Bosch 0280160249. I'm thinking that'll do fine for now but I know the M50's were originally something like 3.5 bar.

Nah, I fitted a Bosch FPR from Porsche 944 (S2 I think), runs at 3.8 bar. Problem I then had was that fuel pumps couldn’t flow enough against that pressure, even a brand new Bosch OEM unit and an E36 M3 unit was right on the limit so I fitted an AEM fuel pump. If I was doing it again, I’d just fit injectors rated at +200cc at 3bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter/Instagram - Kedge85

Comment

E36 m3 pump run at 5b 24lb/hr sounds like other issues in that case

You dont need more fuel pressure you tune the pulse width at rpm and loads it requires more or less fuel. Adding fuel pressure increase fuel flow at all times. Stick to a mild Increase in injector for that
        Last edited by digger; 11-12-2017, 02:59 PM.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Have taken the car out a few times and the motor is happily ticking away with absolutely no oil leaks from what I can tell. I actually don't think anything is leaking at the moment. Radiator fluid was leaking a bit until I tightened a few hoses. Power steering all good.

The bad news is I got the hood on, and the car is going to need a little body work to get everything totally straight. Nothing super major, I already knew the car needed some work, I got it for $200 after all, but it's a little disheartening seeing the gaps to the fenders. This was the first time I put on the hood fully.

So, the short list is:
          Engine break in
          Injectors
          Front bumper
          Stainless steel zip ties instead of regular zip ties for the exhaust (they're not directly touching the pipes at least)
          Smog
          Take it to a body shop
          Take it to an exhaust shop

Build thread

Other cars:
          2000 Porsche Boxster
          1972 Porsche 914

Comment

The bad news is I got the hood on, and the car is going to need a little body work to get everything totally straight. Nothing super major, I already knew the car needed some work, I got it for $180 after all, but it's a little disheartening seeing the gaps to the fenders. This was the first time I put on the hood fully.
            Hard to tell how bad it is, but you might be able to get most of it fixed with some tweaks. A body guy & a PDR could go a long way. Is the paint original and decent still, OG panels too?
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Hard to tell how bad it is, but you might be able to get most of it fixed with some tweaks. A body guy & a PDR could go a long way. Is the paint original and decent still, OG panels too?
              OG panels, paint totally original. Absolutely no clear coat failure or rust anywhere on the car. There's a decent sized dent on the passenger fender which seems to have caused the radiator support to not point completely straight. Since I went through this exercise with my 323i I feel pretty competent at this point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it good enough for me to be satisfied just with some time on a frame machine and a competent shop. My frame rails and the shock towers are totally fine also.

Build thread

Other cars:
              2000 Porsche Boxster
              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                E36 m3 pump run at 5b 24lb/hr sounds like other issues in that case

You dont need more fuel pressure you tune the pulse width at rpm and loads it requires more or less fuel. Adding fuel pressure increase fuel flow at all times. Stick to a mild Increase in injector for that

E36 M3 pumps run at 3b, E36 M3 EVO pumps run at 5b.

I can only talk from what I’ve experienced with my car, and I needed to do the mods I did to solve pinking and power loss at higher revs, I also need to run on 97 RON fuel. M50 injectors alone we’re a long way off being up to the job.

Comment

E36 M3 pumps run at 3b, E36 M3 EVO pumps run at 5b.

I can only talk from what I’ve experienced with my car, and I needed to do the mods I did to solve pinking and power loss at higher revs, I also need to run on 97 RON fuel. M50 injectors alone we’re a long way off being up to the job.

true, still no way the M3 pump isnt up to the job on a humble m20 with 200 flywheel as thats what alpina made with stock stuff, unless it was an old used one on its last legs.

i'm running 1.5 x the fuel flow of stock engine with stock regular and pump. back when i didn't have a way to tune the ECU i did bump the fuel pressure upto 52-55psi with 21lb injectors at the time and ended up with 3b and 24lb about 80% duty cycle at max hp on stock fuel system with bigger injectors.

sounds like other pumps were shagged

97ron is to be expected (probably 93 PON) as you have the higher compression slugs right? so about 1 point higher
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

2.8L M20 9.8:1 stroker build: my 323i reincarnated

Yea, I suspect the M3 pump may well have been on its last legs, when I flow tested it, it was only flowing 105lph at 3.8b, considerably more than a stock M20 one was though. The M20 pump was a brand new Bosch unit, went back to Bosch for testing and they reported there was no issue with it.

My car was live mapped, took 4 attempts due to the fuelling issues I was having.

Comment

So, the short list is:
                      Engine break in
                      Injectors
                      Front bumper
                      Stainless steel zip ties instead of regular zip ties for the exhaust (they're not directly touching the pipes at least)
                      Smog
                      Take it to a body shop
                      Take it to an exhaust shop
                      Take it to the dyno!!
                      Fixed that for you :D

Comment

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
                        Fixed that for you :D
                        Haha definitely. You're saying my finely tuned butt dyno won't be enough?

I'm still in the -hoping the whole thing doesn't blow up spontaneously- phase so, bear with me.

Build thread

Other cars:
                        2000 Porsche Boxster
                        1972 Porsche 914

Comment

E30. ANG-UH-RY

Build thread

Other cars:
                          2000 Porsche Boxster
                          1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Only angle that looks good right now

Build thread

Other cars:
                            2000 Porsche Boxster
                            1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Only angle that looks good right now

It does look awesome. When is the rest of the front going back together?

What suspension is on it right now?
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

yeah those colors with the chrome look so damn good.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X