Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1998 E36 318i Exklusiv Edition (Germany)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That made a huge difference :up: Lookin good!
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
      That made a huge difference :up: Lookin good!
      Thanks man.

It desperately needed a suspension refresh. New Meyle control arms, tie rods, lollipops and swaybar endlinks plus bushings. Upgraded to 328i brakes in the front and refreshed them with Brembo blank rotors. New Lemfoerder rear control arm bushings as well. New FK automotive coilovers and Alutec M7 2-piece wheels (AC Schnitzer Type 2 reps). New OEM exhaust (stock replacement because not racecar). It rides pretty decent and the brakes are great too. Steering is sharp and tight again. Looks much better now and is feeling very poised.

Needs a bigger motor but that can wait. At least it feels fresh and fun to drive now. :)

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

With the 4 banger I'm sure it feels like a zippy little go kart... I've always appreciated the 4 cylinder motors for how fun the car feels. Much more forgiving!
        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
          With the 4 banger I'm sure it feels like a zippy little go kart... I've always appreciated the 4 cylinder motors for how fun the car feels. Much more forgiving!
          It’s definitely very light in the front, making it quite nimble. But I’d still trade a bit of agility for some power and learn to overcome the weight difference. For now it’s a fun daily with the occasional sprint through the backroads and mountain passes.

Comment

Being in Germany, what motors can you legally swap in? I’m sure TUV approval is a little more strict than most places out here, then add in the fuel costs....
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Being in Germany, what motors can you legally swap in? I’m sure TUV approval is a little more strict than most places out here, then add in the fuel costs....
              I don’t know the law to a T but from what I gather you can swap in almost anything that will pass with clean emissions. It is more restrictive than the states in regards to having legit credentials. You have to get the swap done by a shop that has been certified to do swaps and then have it pass an examination by yet another certified 3rd party. Basically you can do whatever swap you want but doing it the legit way will cost some serious coin. A certified shop is not cheap nor is the examination. And after all that you take it to get a normal TÜV which is about 100-200€ depending on the shop. Of course prices vary depending on the shop, the mods, the examiner and who you know.

But lots of people do it the not so legit way and get along just fine. Just don’t get caught hooning and you’re pretty much ok. It’s common to hear of a guy who knows a guy who can make you a TÜV for cheap ;)

Granted this is just my take on things but I’ve made some friends in the local scene who assure me this is the accepted culture.

For anyone out there reading this...Scouts honor I’ll be doing it the legit way.:D

Comment

Speaking of friends in the local scene...

Chillin with the boys after work..

Comment

Cant wait to go back!

:D

Comment

your wifes face is quite different than mine when we went LOL
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      your wifes face is quite different than mine when we went LOL
                      Honestly she was terrified but im super proud of her for going around TWICE with me. I have it all on video as well and it’s hilarious to listen to her freak the fuck out in a few spots. On the way to the ring from Frankfurt she swore she wouldn’t go but i convinced her to at least try. The first lap was a lot of screaming and little crying as well. The second lap she actually enjoyed and admitted it was fun. She even said she’d like to try driving a lap next time. :D

As for the car, it performed pretty well but needs some refinement in a few areas. Sway bars and better brakes for sure...they got hot. And of course more power. I was driving quite conservatively and my times were just under 11min. :giggle: Definitely room for improvement.

Planning a trip back to the ring very soon.

Comment

M52B20 Swap

Going to pick up an M52B20 with 155km on the clock. Good leak down and compression numbers. Getting it from a buddy for a steal with engine harness, ECU and motor mounts. Want to do a stoker with M52B28 crank and rods. This is a euro engine with nikasil alloy block. Been reading around and i guess i can re-use my b20 pistons. Can anyone confirm this? Going to do all the basic preventative maintenance while its out and thought it would be a good time to stroke it.

Anyone have more info on this process? A lot of the information ive found is scattered and not really compiled well. If anyone has a link to a similar build or same build it would be much appreciated. ;D

Comment

I just finished a projector retrofit using some OEM ZKW housings, Morimoto Mini H1 (version 6.1) projectors and new DEPO glass covers to cap it off. I’ve actually had these little guys sitting in a box for years with the intention of using them for my E30 but i never got around to that and i ended up taking them with me over here to Germany. Finally decided to mount these up.

Install was super easy. All said and done it only took me a few hours of actual work to finish the whole build and get them tuned/aimed. I have to apologize for the grainy photos. I used my phone to document things as i went along. I get real nerdy about good headlights so im sure I’ll bust out my Canon eventually to try and capture some accurate output shots.

Modifying ZKW Housings

Morimoto Mini H1 mounted in housings

Unfinished assemblies without glass covers mounted on car for testing

Beam Pattern

Video of output

E36 Projector Retrofit on Flickr

Video or color flicker at the cutoff

E36 Projector Retrofit on Flickr

Finished headlight assemblies with new DEPO glass covers

Finished assemblies mounted on the car

Output on the road after tuning and aiming properly

Pictures from my phone don’t do justice to how good the output is. Literal night and day difference from the original H7 headlights. Super wide beam pattern and lots of throw. Plus a pretty color flare at the cutoff is nice. These little Morimoto mini H1 projectors are great and super easy to work with. I highly recommend going this route if you can.

Comment

Sehr Nett!! Das ist eine schon Farbe. Wie sind die Gewindefahrwerke? Ich habe diese Marke in den USA gesehen. (My German is rusty sorry!)
                            OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                            84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Originally posted by ZEKTI View Post
                              Sehr Nett!! Das ist eine schon Farbe. Wie sind die Gewindefahrwerke? Ich habe diese Marke in den USA gesehen. (My German is rusty sorry!)
                              Vielen Dank! Aber ehrlich gesagt denke ich, dass dein Deutsch wahrscheinlich besser ist als meins. Ich arbeite in einer amerikanischen Firma und die meisten Leute hier sprechen genug Englisch (normalerweise hervorragendes Englisch), um faul zu werden und meine Sprachfähigkeiten nicht zu üben.

I really like the color too. Quite dynamic in different lighting. It looks black in dark settings, gray in low light and blue in the daylight. Plus its easy to keep clean looking. It needs correction though. Maybe a repaint is in order sometime in the future but that’s low on my list of priorities.

The coilovers are FK Automotive AK Street kit. Its a german brand that i don't think is sold outside of Europe. Its a cheap kit that is a bit stiff and bouncy. Im not super impressed with it but it has improved handling. They made the Nürburgring pretty fun but left much to be desired. Eventually I’ll get a KW set.

Next thing to do it a motor swap. This M43B18 is...boring.

Comment

New ATE PowerDisc rotors up front and BOSCH pads front and rear.

Comment

Working...
                                X