Marilyn 1992 325i convertible: Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marilyn 1992 325i convertible: Refresh

After owning this car for over a year (!!) I'm finally spending some time on the refresh I was looking forward to. This is our second E30, but our first convertible. We just made a move to San Diego from Chicago, so a convertible seemed like the right move ;)

This is a photo from the original sale listing:

We purchased the car from Dale, who happens to run www.unofficialbmw.com. Instead of shipping the car to Chicago, I had it sent to my Dad in dry, salt free Arizona. He took care of it until we made our move to San Diego about 4 months ago.

The car is is generally great mechanical condition. I had trouble passing emissions here in California, but it was just due to some to a cracked intake boot and rotted ICV tubing. Once replaced, we passed without issue.

I'm aiming to get this car back to stock form, looking as fresh as I'm able to afford. Starting from the beginning, my todo list looks like this:
    • replace wheels with stock basketweaves (done, the replica Alpinas were sold)
    • replace aftermarket radio with stock (radio has been purchased)
    • replace cracked leather (I've got 4 samples, just waiting to decide which matches the original color best)
    • clean/dye carpet
    • fix driver side door window rattle (I think I've got a fix for this -- I'll share the trick once I've confirmed it worked)
    • polish chrome
    • paint/freshen door, fender & bumper trim
    • polish paint, it's quite oxidized
    • remove pin stripes
    • remove alarm (it's got a mind of its own)
    • lubricate power windows
    • replace door vapor barrier (mold is present)
    • replace 13 button OBC, the screen is bleeding
    • fix jumper coolant temperature gauge
    • replace fog light lenses (cracked)
    • clean throttle body & ICV (done, idles much better now)
    • lube lock cylinders (really hard to turn, worried I'm going to snap a key)
    • replace "corner" window seals in both driver & passenger doors
    • clean/lube door/window seals (I've got some squeaks)
    • adjust convertible top cover, it doesn't close flush on the driver's side
    • Garagistic X-Brace (going to pick this up next week)
    • Hunt for any rust (though the car seems very clean)

The past week I've really had a chance to clean the car and do some the of disassembly so I can address a bunch of these items in the next month or so. Here are some photos of the progress so far:

In the garage on 14" basketweaves. You can see the pin stripe cracking:

Faded/pitted rear bumper trim:

Faded hood roundel (must be a knock off because it's pretty new):

Door & fender trim removed. You can see a black outline where the trim was, this shadow will get cleaned up. I had good success with a magic eraser. But it'll also get polished with the rest of the car. I'll be doing my best to erase any marks like this so there's a nice contrast between any body paint & trim pieces:

Almost perfect:

Removing the pin stripes with a heat gun and a plastic scraper:

There was lots of adhesive residue left behind:

I tried removing the residue with a few different methods:
    1. GooGone -- not strong enough
    2. 3M Adhesive Remover -- much better than GooGone, but still too slow of a process and it made me nervous using this on the paint.
    3. Orbital polisher -- this totally did the job. But I didn't feel like gumming up multiple pads.
    4. The winner? A flat utility razor with LOTS of lubrication (I used some no-rise car wash product). The razor let me scrape off the adhesive. It still took a long time, but I've removed nearly all the adhesive. The rest will be removed when I polish the paint.

Moldy vapor barriers:

Removing chrome trim:

Removing bumpers so I can spray the black trim later:

One question I have: I want to replace the window seal outlined here in red:

But I don't have a clue how to pop out that small corner window. Has anyone dealt with this before?

I'll post some updates as I make progress. For now it's just been lots of exterior cleanup and prep. This is the first time we have an E30 as an "extra" car, which means I can really geek out on getting it into great shape since we don't depend on it for getting around. I'm definitely a newbie, but excited to learn.
    Last edited by ndelage; 12-23-2017, 09:46 PM.

Looks like you found a great car.

I need to give ours the same cleaning treatment.
    1991 318iC
    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Yeah the more I dig into this project, I realize I've lucked out with this car. I bought it sight unseen, just from the pictures the previous owner pictured. This is a really clean car. All matching panels, basically no rust, pretty unmolested.

The front bumper & clip has seen better days, if it doesn't look great after a polish I might repaint it. I'm having a great time though.

Comment

Nice find. I just sold my 1990 vert. White with Indigo interior.

Too late now but, I could have saved you a lot of time removing the pin striping.

This was the method I used when removing the glue residue under the hood of my M6 when I was replacing the foam. It works just as well on pin striping. It removes the stripes and glue and does zero damage to the paint. I bet it would take only around 30 minutes max to remove all the striping.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
        1986 E30 325E
        1989 E30 325iX
        2003 E54 X5.
        1993 Mercedes W124 300E
        1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
        2009 VW Touareg
        2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

When you dye the carpets, if you have the Indigo interior, I found that SEM Color Coat Shadow Blue #15043 was an almost perfect match to the original blue when not faded by years of exposure to the sun.

My re-dye project is at the end of page one.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
          1986 E30 325E
          1989 E30 325iX
          2003 E54 X5.
          1993 Mercedes W124 300E
          1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
          2009 VW Touareg
          2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Originally posted by MSGGrunt View Post
            Nice find. I just sold my 1990 vert. White with Indigo interior.
            Same color scheme! I didn't seek out an Indigo car, but it's growing on me because it's different.

This was the method I used when removing the glue residue under the hood of my M6 when I was replacing the foam. It works just as well on pin striping. It removes the stripes and glue and does zero damage to the paint. I bet it would take only around 30 minutes max to remove all the striping.
            Nice work. Maybe not too late though, I do have some glue under my hood that was really difficult to remove. I gave up after a few minutes because I have the hood cover that fastens with plastic rivets, so the glue doesn't really matter much. But it would be nice to clean it up nonetheless.

Comment

When you dye the carpets, if you have the Indigo interior, I found that SEM Color Coat Shadow Blue #15043 was an almost perfect match to the original blue when not faded by years of exposure to the sun.
              That info is going to be really helpful. I'm going to give them a good cleaning, but if they aren't up to snuff I'll get that dye.

Comment

Took the bumpers off so I could remove the trim. One hex bolt was hard to remove but all the others came out easily.

I also removed all the existing glue on the doors, getting the surface ready for new vapor barriers. I bought some 4mil plastic from Home Depot and this Butyl Tape from Amazon.

I also noticed a support bar below the front quarter windows I'm trying to remove. I removed it hoping it might help me remove the glass, but no luck yet. It was totally rusted though, so I'll be replacing them:

With so much trim removed I decided to start repainting them with the SEM Trim paint. I also used the SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter. Fingers crossed that this all lasts more than a few years. I figure this is cheaper than buying new trim, so it's worth a try. The results are amazing.

Glued a crack in the headlight trim before paint:

So much of this plastic is really faded:

Lots of progress:

Bumper trim is up next:

Managed to split the grill and chrome (was really worried I'd break all those small plastic tabs!). I hoped I could paint the grill and buy a new chrome piece, but they don't sell just the chrome. I'm going to try polishing that part.

The wash station I installed with my Dad a few weeks ago has been super helpful.

Comment

I get to live my car OCD through your thread. Keep it up man, looking forward to more updates

Comment

The chrome grill trim cleaned up pretty nicely. It's not perfect, you can still see some pitting, but it's plenty good. I used P21S Finish Restorer. It seems like this product might be discontinued. I've had it for a few years. I found the easiest way of applying it was with my finger, wearing a rubber glove. I tried using a small rag and even broke out my orbital polisher, but the results weren't any better.

Left: Polished, Right: Unpolished

You can see the improvement I was able to make on my chrome trim. Some water/mineral haze remains, but it's the best I can do for now. It's difficult to notice unless you get really close.

Takes some serious patience to make it through all these pieces though! I'm looking forward to getting these done and finally polishing the car's paint so I can begin reassembly. I'll be making an order of for parts in the next few days. Mostly some rubber trim, trim clips and new center wheel decals.

I'm driving up to LA tomorrow to meet some friends and I'll be stopping at Garagistic to pick up an X Brace I ordered.

Comment

updates? clean build.

Comment

This is awesome, another Chicago -> SD R3Ver!

Well actually, I was SD -> Chicago -> SD weekends /LA weekdays.

Will keep my city sticker as long as I live (or as long as my windshield is intact) :-)

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                        1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                        2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

That trim cleaned up nicely.. Ive been meaning to bust out the SEM trim paint for all the faded black, but Im even more impressed with how the polished trim came back.

Keep the updates coming
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Great work
                            sigpic

Comment

Awesome work on restoring all the trim!

FYI if you ever have to remove vinyl pin stripes or adhesive again 3M Eraser Wheels are amazing and make quick work of an otherwise PIA process.

1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                              1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                              September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                              Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X