F325 : Lifted and Rolling Coal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F325 : Lifted and Rolling Coal

Hey Gents, my posting has slowed down a lot lately, but I can assure that my projects have not!

First debut of the newest creation!

The car started its life off as a 325is but at some point got hit in the passenger rear quarter, and sat for many many years.

After pulling the internally rusted motor out I dropped the E driveline from my previous lifted E30 (see pics) and put it in the car, this worked fine for a bit, but I came a cross an M21 and I had always wanted to do a diesel swap so I bought the motor and quickly realized I knew nothing about diesel engines!

The motor is a Euro model and as a result only requires one wire to run, the wire that opens the fuel solenoid. Got it running on the floor before throwing it in the car to verify it even worked.

This was fairly early on it the swap, so things are a bit messy and temporary to prove out the driveline.

^2x4 covering the exhaust until I get the flapper in the mail.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

It's a work in progress, but proving to be quite fun!

A couple throwback pictures of pre diesel and the previous chassis

[/url]

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 12-27-2017, 11:46 AM.

How funny, I have day dreamed about doing something like this haha

What suspension mods have you done?

I have an idea for an intercooler also, and since the car is already a bastard it might work and be awesome
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      How funny, I have day dreamed about doing something like this haha

What suspension mods have you done?

I have an idea for an intercooler also, and since the car is already a bastard it might work and be awesome
      The suspension is largely stock BMW parts, but I have things in the works to get some more lift and correct the messed up geometry.

I actually just ordered an intercooler, but I am curious what you've got brewing in your head!

Comment

These are the E30 equivalent of the 911 Safari. This is sick!

Comment

I have mixed feelings about the Jeep flares, but I love the rest of it!
          1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
          1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
          bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

This thing is sick! Would love to have one to do a bit of off-roading.

Comment

very cool, hoping for more pics and a video

Comment

I have a dead 4 door in the garage that I planned on doing a similar suspension setup on for my winter/daily beater. Also in for more pics/video. I love the shit out of this thing.
                Follow us on Facebook and Instagram

On qualified parts... email me at dealindave@blunttech.com

Comment

Originally posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
                  The suspension is largely stock BMW parts, but I have things in the works to get some more lift and correct the messed up geometry.

I actually just ordered an intercooler, but I am curious what you've got brewing in your head!
                  Spill the beans on the suspension PM if you want it more private. I had a MK1 rabbit back in the day that had a mix of mk3 springs and 7-series bilsteins good for a few inches of lift... I miss the shark... that was a cool project

The intercooler I figured would be a quick and dirty setup is a Saab Blackstone intercooler with the metal end tanks. You'd have to cut and rotate one end tank 180* but then it should be a cool top mount that wont have several feet of piping and no increased turbo lag

Have you modified the Injection pump in any way?

also, what did you need to do to get the M21 running? Pulled the fuel pumps from the tank? One hot wire to the fuel pump, starter wiring? Anything else? Old school diesels are ridiculously simple
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

I have tried about 10 different ways to embed a youtube video, but it isn't working lol. Followed the few instructions I could find on the site and am getting nothing. My build thread resides on a local forum, so I shall link that.
                    I much prefer the way our local forum is setup, you just paste links and it embeds itself. Convenient to say the least.

http://www.wibimmers.com/board/index...e30-v2/&page=1

^Haha, that blackstone intercooler looks like it would work out pretty well. I'm avoiding top mount solely because I don't feel like more holes in the hood at this point, but it's a solid backup plan.

The motor is stock as stock can be right now, just wanted to get it running and driving before messing with it.
                    I plan on adding more fuel and boost once I get the intercooler in, and may go with a slightly larger turbo.

I am running a 10 gal fuel cell in the trunk, so I don't have a lift pump or anything of that nature.

The current wiring is for the starter (parts of bmw cables and harness), coolant temp sensor, 12v wire for fuel solenoid with key switch, and a large relay setup for the glow plugs which I have wired to a switch in the cabin. I will be adding the fuel heater on a switch, and am working on taking apart a 325e harness to get my tach working again. ( E stuff reads off the flywheel so I'll just use the ECU for a signal generator)

Comment

I think the embedded videos arent working anymore, a lot of people have had that issue.

I think my M21 plans are not going to happen. I thought the US got the 524td through '88 but it looks like they stopped in '86 which means I cant swap it into my car.... I have another plan but that one is a much larger project.

Kinda glad I didnt buy the M21 locally... its missing the fuel injection pump and that is the biggest reason I didnt fork over the money
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        I think the embedded videos arent working anymore, a lot of people have had that issue.

I think my M21 plans are not going to happen. I thought the US got the 524td through '88 but it looks like they stopped in '86 which means I cant swap it into my car.... I have another plan but that one is a much larger project.

Kinda glad I didnt buy the M21 locally... its missing the fuel injection pump and that is the biggest reason I didnt fork over the money
                        Yeah the M21 was a 2 year motor in the US.

The US version also has a lot more for electronics as it is a more electronic pump than what the Euro stuff is so there is a bit more work involved there. Not sure on the origins of my motor, but it was from a Euro E28 judging by everything I have found about them.

I think I overpaid for mine, but it's not everyday that you show up to a guys shop and he has one sitting there. He also has an S38 swapped E46 and built an M52 Jimmy... Odd dude.

Comment

Well, all the more reason to find a euro pump... but I still run into the '86 motor into a '88 car problem. CA isnt too excited about people going in that direction
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

I kinda want a lifted E30 now.

Comment

Awesome. Subscribed.
                              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X