Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arctic 30 - 5,000+ Mile Winter Adventure

Happy New Year!

I completed this journey on the 28th but I have been moving into an apartment/had to go into work. I have driven the Alaska-Canadian Highway three times in the summer but wanted to see what it would be like to do it in the winter. Special thanks goes to the forum members Schneller 3er whom I purchased the vehicle from and MAtt-B for the light bar mount.

The journey begins in Chicago, Illinois and ends in Anchorage, Alaska with many side trips along the way. Days are relative, after leaving Minneapolis I pretty much drove continuously and took naps in my car with my winter gear until I was cognizant enough to safely drive.

[Dec 23, Day 1 ~960 miles]
    I drove first from Chicago to Dayton, Ohio to pick up a set of refinished ronal turbos from ACU-TRU in Kettering ;D. I then drove straight to Missouri to see my grandparents and spent the day there. My beautiful white car got covered in fresh tar that was unmarked :crazy:

[Dec 22, Day 2 ~375 miles]
    I drove from Galt, Missouri to Minneapolis to see my younger brother and spent the night there. Drove through a blizzard and had 100% confidence in my Nokian Hakkapeliita that are my winter tires.

[Dec 23/24, Day 3/4, ~1350 miles]
    I got a late start to the morning, I took my car to a detailing center and they were able to remove most of the tar, eventually I will have to get the rest off from the wheel wells/rims. Tips for doing it without destroying paint? I also drove towards Duluth and met another forum member and purchased a pair of Matt-B alcantara suede shift and brake boots :o I then proceeded to drive to Billings, Montana and passed through North Dakota in the process. I drove straight towards the border and got an AirBnB in Lethbridge, Alberta.

[Dec 25, Day 5, ~1300 miles]
    I drove from Lethbridge to Banff National Park and kept driving until I got to Liard Hot Springs. I saw many bison while traveling in this area, which was the only wildlife I really wanted to see. Side note, it seemed to me that the buffalo eyes were not nearly as reflective as most other wildlife I have seen. I overnighted at Liard Lodge and enjoyed the hot springs; Even though I wasn't with my family this Christmas I was at peace and the warm water and stars were all the gifts I needed.

[Dec 26, Day 6, ~1000 miles]
    I drove from Liard and drove hard, putting the final miles towards getting to Fairbanks. I passed through a decent blizzard and fog near Destruction Bay as I approached the US Border. The conditions were maybe 50% whiteout, but at night with the snow blowing towards you, no frame of reference and only white roads with snow berms it was easy to lose track of speed. I had to reduce speed from the legal limit to about half for large portions. A simple rule of thumb for winter driving; reduce speed, it is less costly in time and money than to ditch dive.

[Dec 27th, Day 7 =0 miles]
    I got into Fairbanks around 7 AM and had to go do some work/email. I went at it for most of the day and hung out with my friend at 5 PM and crashed at his house for the night.

[Dec 28th, Day 8 ~360 miles]
    I left Fairbanks early in the morning and drove through Denali. Looking at the mountains, it was good to be home. I definitely missed them, and the sight of them made me realize why Alaska is my home.

And that is the story of how far I would go to get the car I love.

Originally posted by xXWarsmithXx View Post
    Happy New Year!

I completed this journey on the 28th but I have been moving into an apartment/had to go into work. I have driven the Alaska-Canadian Highway three times in the summer but wanted to see what it would be like to do it in the winter. Special thanks goes to the forum members Schneller 3er whom I purchased the vehicle from and MAtt-B for the light bar mount.

The journey begins in Chicago, Illinois and ends in Anchorage, Alaska with many side trips along the way. Days are relative, after leaving Minneapolis I pretty much drove continuously and took naps in my car with my winter gear until I was cognizant enough to safely drive.

[Dec 23, Day 1 ~960 miles]
    I drove first from Chicago to Dayton, Ohio to pick up a set of refinished ronal turbos from ACU-TRU in Kettering ;D. I then drove straight to Missouri to see my grandparents and spent the day there. My beautiful white car got covered in fresh tar that was unmarked :crazy:

[Dec 22, Day 2 ~375 miles]
    I drove from Galt, Missouri to Minneapolis to see my younger brother and spent the night there. Drove through a blizzard and had 100% confidence in my Nokian Hakkapeliita that are my winter tires.

[Dec 23/24, Day 3/4, ~1350 miles]
    I got a late start to the morning, I took my car to a detailing center and they were able to remove most of the tar, eventually I will have to get the rest off from the wheel wells/rims. Tips for doing it without destroying paint? I also drove towards Duluth and met another forum member and purchased a pair of Matt-B alcantara suede shift and brake boots :o I then proceeded to drive to Billings, Montana and passed through North Dakota in the process. I drove straight towards the border and got an AirBnB in Lethbridge, Alberta.

[Dec 25, Day 5, ~1300 miles]
    I drove from Lethbridge to Banff National Park and kept driving until I got to Liard Hot Springs. I saw many bison while traveling in this area, which was the only wildlife I really wanted to see. Side note, it seemed to me that the buffalo eyes were not nearly as reflective as most other wildlife I have seen. I overnighted at Liard Lodge and enjoyed the hot springs; Even though I wasn't with my family this Christmas I was at peace and the warm water and stars were all the gifts I needed.

[Dec 26, Day 6, ~1000 miles]
    I drove from Liard and drove hard, putting the final miles towards getting to Fairbanks. I passed through a decent blizzard and fog near Destruction Bay as I approached the US Border. The conditions were maybe 50% whiteout, but at night with the snow blowing towards you, no frame of reference and only white roads with snow berms it was easy to lose track of speed. I had to reduce speed from the legal limit to about half for large portions. A simple rule of thumb for winter driving; reduce speed, it is less costly in time and money than to ditch dive.

[Dec 27th, Day 7 =0 miles]
    I got into Fairbanks around 7 AM and had to go do some work/email. I went at it for most of the day and hung out with my friend at 5 PM and crashed at his house for the night.

[Dec 28th, Day 8 ~360 miles]
    I left Fairbanks early in the morning and drove through Denali. Looking at the mountains, it was good to be home. I definitely missed them, and the sight of them made me realize why Alaska is my home.

And that is the story of how far I would go to get the car I love.
    Nice like running your own ALCAN 5000 rally. great car for the conditions and past Rally winner

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

That's a killer headlight/aux light combo!

Great pics
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Very nice! Now do it in a RWD E30!

Comment

Congratulations on a safe, amazing trip!

Comment

More proof that E30s are the best most versatile cars out there. Stock E30 + 3x the lights and snow tires and the Arctic North is NBD

Enjoy the car, sounds like a good start to a long ownership

Whats the plans from here?
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Who is this fellow in Kettering? I just moved to dayton!
              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

That is definitely the car to do it in, especially with the light bar upgrade. Looks great and getting a car is always a fun excuse to do a nice road trip.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Awesome trip.

I need to get around to posting about mine last year

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                    Who is this fellow in Kettering? I just moved to dayton!
                    The fellow is Brian at ACU-TRU. He does good work his prices are fair but it could take him a long time depending on how bad the wheels are. He knows his stuff so I would not rush him.

Comment

Fantastic write up. Thank you for sharing.

It wasn’t immediately clear to me- is this a 325ix?

Comment

Originally posted by hdizzle View Post
                        Fantastic write up. Thank you for sharing.

It wasn’t immediately clear to me- is this a 325ix?
                        She is indeed a 325iX

Comment

thanks for the shout out man, and wow super fun trip!

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Working...
                          X