Brilliant Red 1991 325i coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant Red 1991 325i coupe

I’ve been a forum member for awhile, and have casually considered purchasing an E30 for years. About four months ago, I finally had the opportunity to drive one for the first time. It wasn’t the greatest example, but I knew within a few minutes behind the wheel that it was time to get serious about this. So I sought out to find a nice late model six cylinder coupe. I had a good budget and was willing to travel, but I’m very picky about condition and color preferences, so this wasn’t an easy task. I got pretty serious about purchasing two different cars, but they both sold quickly before I could close the deal.

During a nationwide Craigslist search last month, I came across a promising 91 325i just after it was listed. The ad was well written, the color combo was right, and the car featured some nice upgrades and recent maintenance. It was located in Massachusetts, but had spent most its life in the south. I really wanted an E30 with good original paint, but this car reportedly had a glass out/trim off respray several years back. It appeared to be a quality job based on the many photos I was sent, and body panels were all original. The asking price seemed almost too low (and WAY under budget!) but I had good vibes from the seller, so I took some risk and pulled the trigger.

Production Info:
    Date: 1991-02-14
    Type - 325I (USA)
    Series - E30
    Body Type - LIM
    Steering - LHD
    Engine - M20
    Displacement - 2.50
    Power - 125kw / 170hp
    Drive - HECK
    Transmission - Automatic (swapped to manual mid-2018)
    Colour - Brilliantrot (308)
    Upholstery - Black Leather (0203)

Options
    S240A Leather Steering Wheel
    S286A BMW LA Wheel BMW Styling
    S401A Sunroof Electric
    S410A Window Lifts Electric Front
    S530A Air Conditioning
    S540A Cruise Control
    S556A Outdoor Temperature Indicator
    S675A Rear Audio System
    S925A DummySALAPA

I was originally going to have the car shipped, but decided it would be cheaper and more fun to fly in and drive home. While eagerly awaiting pickup date, I was able to track down the original forum build thread, which detailed some of the restoration work from three owners prior to me: (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=229654).

The seller met me at the airport, and first impressions of the car were good. The paint was presentable, the drivetrain was strong, and even the A/C worked. Heading south, I decided to stop and see the Connecticut coastline.

Stopped at a friend’s place in NJ for a closer look under the car. Some minor issues noted, but nothing significant.

Headed south again, I spent a couple days in Virginia at my parent’s place. Dad and I completed the timing belt service, valve adjustment, and some other miscellaneous work.

During further inspection, I noticed these plugs on both front foot wells were loose, basically exposing the inside of the car to the elements. I pulled the seats to take a peek under the carpets, and fortunately found no hidden rust.

The plugs were reinstalled with seam seller, then undercoated.

On my way to Georgia, I stopped to take a couple photos at the BMW Zentrum facility in Greer, SC.

Finally home, about 1200 miles from where the journey started. Temporary housing squeezed in the garage until I have the driveway to my basement shop redone…

During the initial cleanup, I decided to do something about the trim around all the glass, which was caked with dried polishing compound and wax residue. During the process..

The only rust I have encountered (so far) is limited to an area under the trunk seal, and the common spot under the battery.

A couple photos after quick clean up

Changes from Stock:

Transmission swap to 5-speed Getrag 260
    Z3 1.9 shifter, Garagistic DSSR, Delrin shifter & rear carrier bushings
    4.10 limited slip differential
    SSSquid Stage 1 chip
    MagnaFlow 16535 stainless steel cat-back exhaust system
    Red46 front skid plate
    E36 steering rack
    Ground Control complete coilover suspension
    OE M3 offset front control arm bushings
    Suspension Techniques 22 mm front sway bar (stock rear bar)
    Garagistic front strut bar
    "iS" front lip
    Shadowline trim
    Autobahn Black Ceramic 40% window tint
    15x7.5" Ronal LS wheels
    Kenwood head unit with aftermarket speakers
    Radio antenna delete
    Atiwe leather steering wheel
    Aluminum gauge cluster rings
    E36 illuminated window switches
    E36 leather e-brake handle
    M-Tech leather shift knob
    StitchedWheels leather shift & e-brake boot
    German Engineering keyless entry
    4300K HID low beams with U.S. Ellipsoid/projector headlights and Euro grilles
    Last edited by connorb850; 08-25-2019, 11:34 AM.

Car looks wonderful!

Whats coming up?
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Very nice! I'm currently stashing most of my E30 parts up at my parents in Gainesville and spend a good bit of time up there!

Ditto what 2mAn said, whats next?

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Car looks wonderful!

Whats coming up?
        The major stuff on this car is pretty solid, but it needs a ton of small fixes. I've got a list going and will update the post with specifics when I have more time.

My goal is to take things to the next level cosmetically and mechanically, and keep an OEM+ theme for some additional upgrades.

...speaking of, some boxes arrived from the U.K this morning :D

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post
        Very nice! I'm currently stashing most of my E30 parts up at my parents in Gainesville and spend a good bit of time up there!
        Cool...I'll probably see you around at some point then. I saw your build thread, and may get in touch for some feedback on the local shop you used for rust repair. I have a feeling most places are going to turn me away because I only need very minor repairs.

Comment

Cant wait to see where this goes.
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

That is pretty, brilliantrot is my fav color
            Youtube channel is up!-->According2Valentine

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
            If lucky, the E36 will die peacefully, in its natural habitat, and be given the prestigious honor of donating its parts to an E30
            Originally posted by J3M93
            This guy delivers, you are a boss

Comment

Wow, what a beautiful car! It's nice to see another local on here.
              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

That is a gorgeous car! Best of luck with it, Connor. She is stunning. I love a brilliant red late model.
                1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Awesome car! Brilliantrot late model coupes are beautiful when clean.
                  (OO=[][]=OO)

Instagram: @e30_tac

https://www.instagram.com/e30_tac/

Comment

Thanks for the comments! I've updated the original post with current mods, maintenance items done & pending.

Unboxed the wheels today...

Comment

Oh dear. This is getting very sexy very quickly.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Beautiful car, Connor -- well done! Just completed a similar purchase and will be interested to see what you do to what is already a nice E30. Great choice on the Ronals!
                        ainadude
                        Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

1991 325i 2dr. 5sp, delphin, w/freshly re-skinned IS sport seats/15" Ronal cross-spokes

1976 Triumph Spitfire w/1.8-liter Miata engine/transmission, koa dash with TR6 oil/volt gauges, lowered suspension, 14" Minilite replicas and more

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Really nice write up. And what a clean E30.

I can't wait to see the Ronals on your baby. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a set to replace my stock basketweaves. I keep going back and forth between euroweaves and the Ronals.
                          90 Bronzit 325is
                          16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Originally posted by laidback93 View Post
                            I keep going back and forth between euroweaves and the Ronals.
                            Yeah, I did the same thing. It became an easier decision once I found out a brand new set of Ronals is currently cheaper than a decent used set of Euroweaves.

Comment

Originally posted by connorb850 View Post
                              Yeah, I did the same thing. It became an easier decision once I found out a brand new set of Ronals is currently cheaper than a decent used set of Euroweaves.

FWIW, I had a set of euroweaves on my previous E30. They're nice, but IMHO the Ronals are better looking and look like theyll be easier to keep clean.
                              ainadude
                              Indian Wells, CA

sigpic

1991 325i 2dr. 5sp, delphin, w/freshly re-skinned IS sport seats/15" Ronal cross-spokes

1976 Triumph Spitfire w/1.8-liter Miata engine/transmission, koa dash with TR6 oil/volt gauges, lowered suspension, 14" Minilite replicas and more

2004 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Working...
                              X