No announcement yet.

This build escalated quickly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a very well made wiring harness and CAN controller from Andrew325is, thanks for the sweet product and headaches saved! Although, I need to figure out exactly how to use the CAN controller as Im not sure how to wire the stock E30 fan to fluctuate with the S54 A/C. If anyone has any knowledge Id love to hear it, otherwise Ill ask again when I get closer to wiring the motor and plumbing the A/C.

The Build by Evan Nessim, on Flickr

Decided to chop up my front subframe and ship it out to Tyler at the ArcAsylum along with my oil pan and headers despite reading about how difficult it is to contact him. I got the subframe and oil pan back and it is damn beautiful. However, Tyler still has my headers and it has been over six months since he said the completed exhaust system would originally ship out. I see that he has taken great time to create a much improved ArcAsylum website and explain that he is swamped so hopefully this means Ill be seeing a completed exhaust with my headers by the time I have the engine running. Tyler is indeed hard to contact, but his work is unquestionably well done.

Comment

Friend stopped by in a slick black Porsche with gold BBSs.

Subframe installed along with Z3 steering rack, AKG steering column kit and AKG 24V swap engine mounts. Stock sway bar for now, IE mounts with AKG adjustable endlinks. Like a glove!

New E30 control arms and E36 steering rack endlinks. Running powerflex FCABs unless I need to switch to something else due to exhaust clearance.

Comment

Z3M four core radiator and linear A/C condenser. I am determined to have proper A/C for the first time since Ive owned the car haha

Thinking about mounting the overflow here somehow, waiting to see where the plumbing will fall.

Comment

Rear end going back in using AKG 95A subframe mounts, AKG 85A diff mounts and powerflex trailing arm and sway bar bushings.

Comment

Had to modify my dust shields to clear the BBK while retaining the ebrake system.

Coat of paint for the dust shields and the stock booster that probably won't fit.

Test mount of rear calipers and pictures of Lee’s Massive 300x32mm kit with Wilwood SL4 calipers. Pistons are 1.625” front and 1.25” rear according to Lee’s recommendation.

Ebrakes for floating rotors, hell yes.

Comment

Well, that did escalate quickly. Great work OP

Comment

Meanwhile, this is what happened to the S54 donor vehicle!

Picked up a Mason Engineering brace, super pretty piece.

Also picked up a shop pup, she went straight to work inspecting my quality. Hopefully that's the look of approval and not disappointment! Her name is Seca.

Comment

Here comes probably the most debated topic for E30 swaps. I ended up buying a Porsche ATE booster and E34 master. I was hoping I would do the booster and lines once the engine was in so I knew what would fit but waiting on parts and machining left me bored and itching for a project. So, we will see if it fits or if Im going to have to move the booster over a bit.

Since I deleted the ABS I had to flare and bend new hardlines. The tool from Eastwood was fantastic and produced a consistent flare every single time with ease.

Comment

Investigated a rattling coming from the exhaust on my bosses sweet LS Z3 coupe. Ended up having a beat up cat that needed to be replaced.

Winter is coming, so I bought boat loads of presents for myself. Unfortunately I can't open them until I get the engine back… :(

I got clustered by E30 Dad and boy am I stoked to see this thing! He has been extremely kind in holding the cluster for me in order to keep it charged while I get this car together. Gears were dead and one of the previous owners used the wrong screws to hold the cluster in so the board was beyond repair but Diego took care of me, a quality service.

Comment

In 2 pages this thread shits on half of r3v and the other half better watch out
                      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Does anyone know Tyler at The Arc Asylum personally or live in the 53066 area and can find out what’s going on?

I should have my engine built this weekend and ready for install but might need my headers (which he’s had for almost a year now) to install the engine.

I think it’s ridiculous that he vanished without word or completing outgoing orders before revamping his business, I’m assuming I’m not the only one with this situation.

Thanks.
                        Last edited by masterofnone; 11-16-2018, 11:53 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Shoot thanks econti, but if it wasn't for R3v I wouldn't know a fraction of the information I know now!

Time to bring this thread up to speed.

While waiting on the machine shop I worked the vanos. Used the Dr. V Cryo treated exhaust hub to replace mine with the broken tab and Beisan seal kits and oil pump disk.

Engine stripped down and off to the machine shop! The rods were out of round so I needed new rods. I was recommended Molnar rods by a local (and member jph) with a turbo M52 E30 running 600hp so it was hard to argue, especially with the value. Because the rods were $600 vs $2k I was able to use the money saved for some standard compression JE pistons. The crank was checked for straightness and balanced, the head completely rebuilt and ground. ACL main bearings used with BE rod bearings and ARP hardware all around.

Got to use this sweet head stand my coworker let me borrow, great for pulling springs/valves. Originally I was just going to do the seals on the head but my gut was telling me Id regret it later. After tearing it down I packed it up and sent it to a shop for a complete head job. Turned out great! All stock internals.

Untitled by Evan Nessim, on Flickr

When I was on a business trip in China my machinist sent me this and a couple videos that I don't know how to post. I couldn't wait to get home.
                          Saw the wild yellow AMG something rather while I was there though, pretty crazy.

The day I landed I was able to pick up my engine, it was a great feeling after waiting months for parts and machining. I could finally start putting things together!

Using AN lines for the CSF oil cooler. I love the look of machined parts, nice oil housing adapter from VAC. AN fittings from Fragola, oil PSI/Temp block from Bimmerworld.

Cams in and vanos installed. I timed the engine using the basic online brand timing kit. The guy from Besian said that because I used that tool and not the OE BMW tool he can guarantee my timing is off. I don't like those odds so I ordered the OEM tool next day. We will see if my timing is indeed off like he says or if I just wasted another $150... I was able to turn the crank completely and easily.

Thats it for now! Working on a wiring harness for my gauges while waiting for the BMW timing bridge. Wanted to get the engine in this weekend but Id rather be confident its timed right before installing. Maybe see what other small things I can button up too.

Comment

Its been a while, but thats because Ive been working on the car! :)

So, the Beisan was right. I ordered the OEM BMW cam timing bridge and the timing was indeed off. He said to follow his write up completely mentioning that there is no "special tooth" when it comes to inserting the pistons. Even then, the timing still wasnt within spec of less than 0.5mm gap. He said to offset the cams so the tool had the same gap but on the other side of the tool before tightening everything down. After following his directions and turning the crank over a couple times the cam locking pin slid right in without resistance and there was no gap on the bridge!

Here are pictures of the tool with P/N and how it lined up because of the generic timing bridge.

Intake cam gap:

Exhaust cam gap:

This is what I ended up with on both sides, nice and flush:

With the timing finally set it was back to the mission ahead! Full steam!

Had to modify VACs expensive for being not well thought out coolant sensor pipe. They "designed" it for two sensors but if I did end up tapping the second hole the two sensors would have collided since they were not offset... Had to mill two new flats and tap two offset holes. There was also no way this piece would have a reliable ground so I tapped it for a small bolt and ground wire. This is what I ended up with, aluminum swiss cheese.

And here is my little nest of sensors: E30 Water Temp, Gauge Water Temp, E46 Water Temp in stock location, Oil Pressure and Temp for Gauge, and stock E46 Oil Temp. The coolant pipe ground is connected to the head of one of the larger coolant pipe bolts.

More to come later tonight! Need to get back to work

Comment

How's the timing tool work? Just rests on the flats of the cams?
                              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                                How's the timing tool work? Just rests on the flats of the cams?
                                The bridge rests flat on the sides of the head and then the pin should be able to slide though a hole in the cam with either side of the bridge picking up less than 0.5mm. If the cam is off timing the hole, and therefor pin, would be at an angle resulting the the bridge lifting.

Comment

Working...
                                X