Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Can't wait to see this all come together....I had contemplated getting the whole car painted, but the interior is not perfect and I appreciate the patina. This should take off a couple of years off of the appearance, not seeing the two small rust spots and cracked chip guard. Respraying the IS lip for good measure too.

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Valance repair is moving along...for those wondering SEM is my body guys preference on rust converter and was sprayed inside the rocker, before applying cavity wax. Also using transtar product to replicate chipguard

Rust Mort is an acidic compound that converts existing rust to an insoluble black coating prior to applying body filler, primer or top coat.

https://www.tat-co.com/Products/Repa...oat-Chip-Guard

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

When you're bored, Im pretty sure that the Pioneer decks let you change the colors and one is quite close to the OEM red/amber
    Definitely something I need to look into. I made a half assed attempt to find it in the menu, but to no avail!!

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post
    Took some time last night to replace the OBC and cracked HVAC panel and install a spare radio I had laying around in the garage. I don't like that it has blue background, but I do like that it was "free"..lol
    When you're bored, Im pretty sure that the Pioneer decks let you change the colors and one is quite close to the OEM red/amber

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    Very nice! It must feel good to have that addressed.
    Thank you Mike...it does! I just knew the longer I waited, the more expensive it would get.

Also scored a set of Condor solid control arm mounts in OEM geometry...my current Condor mounts are the m3 geometry and the negative caster is a wee bit excessive. Hoping these will clear my headers. I tried a set of AKG mounts, but couldn't get the clearance needed. Side note, Condor should really look into revising the coating they use. Both my new set I purchased last year and this used set I just obtained have started flaking and allow water ingress and unnecessary rusting of a relatively new part. Nothing a grinder and cheap rattle can can't fix though, but annoying for an "upgraded" mount.

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Very nice! It must feel good to have that addressed.

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Well I am finally getting the rust addressed. Rear valance & passenger rocker rust has been cut out, patch welded, bondo'd and primed...ready for block sanding and reapplication of chip guard.

Found a small hole in passenger wheel well, which caused the rocker rust. Prior to welding in a patch, cavity was sprayed with rust converter and cavity wax to prevent future issues

Also going to get the front valance and IS lip repainted...stay tuned!
    Last edited by dmanb2b; 08-03-2020, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Hope everyone has been staying safe! Thankfully, work has been busy. Finally sneaked in a few minutes this weekend and last to start cleaning up the engine bay. Replaced the hood insulation, found a s52 vanity cover that didn't cost more than the motor, and finally decided on a intake setup (Thanks castros !)

And then snuck in a drive before dark...lol

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Took some time last night to replace the OBC and cracked HVAC panel and install a spare radio I had laying around in the garage. I don't like that it has blue background, but I do like that it was "free"..lol

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied

It's been a while, but I'm I'm pretty sure we ordered a obd1 blue sensor, and i only re-threaded the brown e30 temp sensor. but this depends on the cylinder head you have. some have two ports some have three. re-threading the sensor is a PITA but with a new sharp die helps a lot.
    Thanks, Yeah i was trying to find a way that I wouldn't have to rethread the temp sensor. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Originally posted by TeXJ View Post

Question for you on the front(blue in pic) coolant temp sensor. That one looks like the obd2 sensor? I have a m52 converted to obd1 and my front sensor I have to re-thread the sensor to fit that first hole. The sensor I have to use is for an obd1 m50.

Just wanted to see if there was a better way of doing this so I dont have to re-thread a sensor every time I may need to replace it.
    It's been a while, but I'm I'm pretty sure we ordered a obd1 blue sensor, and i only re-threaded the brown e30 temp sensor. but this depends on the cylinder head you have. some have two ports some have three. re-threading the sensor is a PITA but with a new sharp die helps a lot.

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    Question for you on the front(blue in pic) coolant temp sensor. That one looks like the obd2 sensor? I have a m52 converted to obd1 and my front sensor I have to re-thread the sensor to fit that first hole. The sensor I have to use is for an obd1 m50.

Just wanted to see if there was a better way of doing this so I dont have to re-thread a sensor every time I may need to replace it.

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    Looking good! Do you have a shop lined up for the rust repair?
    Shopping around. I was considering tackling on my own, but with current economic situation, I may throw my local body shop some work.

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Looking good! Do you have a shop lined up for the rust repair?

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Well it's been a while since my last post. All things said, the car has been running great. I have put approximately 2K miles on since the swap and it's finally feeling broken in. Here are a few pics since pulling her out of storage. Next on the list is some over due rust repair and I guess the catch can set-up is working well...lol. Mostly water...can't imagine all that going back into sump.

Yuck!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X