X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    Nice job on the exhaust. Looks like it's put together well with all the right components (to include flex pipes) and has a sectioned design for easier servicing. What's left after this? When's the burnout video coming? :)
    Thanks Mike! Despite not having mandrel bent pieces, I am really happy with how it's coming together. Have to finish getting Vibrant can and tip on back and then fab some brackets for the blemished Corbeaus I snagged a few months back. DSSR and hopefully lay down some stripes before salt hit the road :>(

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Nice job on the exhaust. Looks like it's put together well with all the right components (to include flex pipes) and has a sectioned design for easier servicing. What's left after this? When's the burnout video coming? :)
    Last edited by mike.bmw; 10-21-2019, 08:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Making progress on the exhaust....

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
    very nice! Are you using MIG to weld or TIG?
    Thank you! Tig

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    very nice! Are you using MIG to weld or TIG?

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Motor is back in the car, cooling system, brakes and clutch bled and best part, no smoke...nothing. The engine is buttery smooth with new rings in place. Harness cleaned up and time to start working on the custom exhaust. I originally planned to have custom flanges made for the raceland headers (odd 2.375" size), but gave up and opted to go vband route. I think it's going to turn out nice and clean. Still have to get shift linkage, dssr and seats installed...then onto alignment and road testing.....

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not following...maybe angle of picture? Antifreeze is fairly level, but if it's something I should address, lmk. We still have a bunch of things to fine tune

• jeenyus
    replied
    are you concerned about the coolant reservoir giving you inaccurate "low coolant" warning with it tilted like that?

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Well, sometimes you take a few steps back to take a few steps forward. While the first start was a success...we noticed despite the S52 seller telling me the engine ran fine...clearly she must have been smoking and was abused. We replaced the valve stem seals, which were crusty and while that helped, she still smoked...grr...lesson learned...if the motor is apart, replace everything. We had opted to re-use the old rings on original re-build as the cylinder walls had shown no scoring or abnormal wear...big mistake.

We made the difficult decision to pull the motor again and re-build for the 2nd time. Checked cylinders again and re-ringed her.

Last edited by dmanb2b; 10-18-2019, 07:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Mike! Trying to re-use as much of the original set-up as possible as this was never planned to be a shaved bay type build.

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Nice work! I like that you're using the coil pack bracket for the catch can.

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Cooling system plumbing is complete including custom mount for 325i overflow reservoir....also routed line for catch can...exhaust next

Bake the enamel in shop toaster

url=https://imgur.com/cpYKUgY][/url]

Catch can

Trying to decide how far tip will stick out

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Im not sure if its a myth or not, but Id rotate the MAF so that the connector is at the 2o'clock position VS high noon...

This is the fun part where its so close, but still so many little things to do. You're going to LOVE the S52
    Thanks sir, especially the advice around MAF orientation. Wasn't aware of that one....the intake set-up is temporary so duly noted!

I thought long and hard about keeping the m42, but I LOVE power and the m42 drivetrain was going to need a full refresh, so here we are. We have a few bugs to work out, but super pumped. Should be a clean, yet gritty driver when done.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post
    Can some one say 1st start?...
    Thats such a great feeling. The 1st start usually takes half a dozen attempts haha

Im not sure if its a myth or not, but Id rotate the MAF so that the connector is at the 2o'clock position VS high noon...

This is the fun part where its so close, but still so many little things to do. You're going to LOVE the S52

Leave a comment:

• dmanb2b
    replied
    Can some one say 1st start?...Many thanks to the crew at Highline Motorsports in Burnt Hills, NY. Still have to finish cooling system plumbing, catch can, custom mount for overflow reservoir, custom exhaust, seats, steering wheel and a few other personal touches...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzFW...ature=youtu.be

Leave a comment:

Working...
X