May 2019 Car of the Month: Levy3Poop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 2019 Car of the Month: Levy3Poop

***Editors Note: Amazing things happen when you install the missing lip! Ive been watching this build evolve, and though it hasnt changed much in his ownership, it absolutely has gotten better and it seems like it will be with him for a long time. Looking forward to more updates. Congrats on being our May 2019 Car of the Month!***

Factory options:
    Ruby began life as a base model 318i vert. Manual top, power windows, and originally a 4.27 open diff. Sealed beam headlights were original, but got swapped for US ellipsoids by one of the previous owners, and I got the Euro Hella smileys in there now.

Color:
    Calypsorot

Interior color:
    Tan/Natural perforated vinyl

Engine modifications:
    Powder coated valve cover and intake manifold are the only mods. Money spent on the M42 has really just been maintenance items like thermostat, gaskets, etc.

Exhaust:
    Magnaflow muffler. Actually gives the M42 a low tone and no rasp.

Transmission:
    Getrag 240 5 speed. Nothing special here right now.

Differential:
    4.27 LSD installed by SonomaBimmer when he had the car (4th previous owner)

Suspension:
    Done by SonomaBimmer: Bilstein sport struts and H&R sport springs

Done by me: Garagistic adjustable rear subframe, Garagistic 95A PU rear subframe bushings, painted rear subframe red because...well why the hell not?!

Wheels:
    BBS RX214. 16x7" ET35.
    All curb rash was there when I got the car, and I intend to fix it...one of these days.

Exterior modifications:
    On the exterior I have changed a few things. I removed my IS spoiler and filled the holes, painted the trunk. I put a rear plastic bumper on (still looking for a front). I changed the fog lights by putting new lens on the old housing. Tinted the windows to 20% in the rear and legal limit in the front. vinyl wrapped all the black trim to have some sort of consistency there.

Interior modifications:
    Full stereo. When I got the car it had 2 OEM BMW 6x9" speakers under the driver and passenger front seat (and were attempting to play sub-bass frequencies), and the rear speakers weren't even hooked up. Needless to say, the sound system was awful, and if convertibles don't have a good sound system, that's just a damn shame. Rockford Fosgate Punch P-152 speakers in the front, Rockford R152x2 in the rear, Alpine 500 watt mono amp hooked to a 12" Kicker CV12 in the trunk. Now I can actually hear music and don't just lose all low end when the top is down. Also, as a Texan, I had to mount an Alien Gear holster to the center console for my Glock 17 (4th Gen) because the supportive sport seats in Ruby bruised my love handles after the first couple long cruises way back when. That was probably the first actual mod I did, and it's definitely the best for comfort.

Story behind the car:
    Currently on M42 #2 (Thanks Dave!), Ruby's going strong. After getting her, I began diving into the world of "need more tools" and working on her myself to save money on mechanics. I've learned more than I thought I ever would about maintenance and repairs from working on her. I've got many plans for Ruby that I want to get done some day (some big things coming sooner than later ;D ). I've made so many friends through my E30, bonded with so many people while working on her, and bonded a ton with my wife while going on mega-fun-days in Ruby. My father in law and I replaced the old vert top before I got married, and a couple weeks later, Lindsay and I departed the wedding in Ruby with everyone laughing (including the cop) at the M42 trying to go fast out of there. I've learned to not stress small things like broken lips, because your friend driving your car will feel worse about it than you. I've learned to accept some flaws like all the rock chips on the front because those are a badge of honor only found on a true daily driver. I've also leaned that most people with a cool car are happy to talk about cars with anyone else in a cool car, be it a BMW, Mustang, Challenger, Integra, or even an old ass Corolla sitting on some JNC wheels.

Long story short: I'm going to daily this car until the day I die. Who knows how much I'll have spent at the end, or how many engines she'll go through lol. Every mile is like adding to a high score, and I can't wait to see how high it gets.

You can find Ruby's build thread here

And now enjoy some pics of the Vert and a nice flavor of "The Republic of Texas" lol

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Thanks for the love, Simon! You do a great job motivating people to keep a lip on their cars [emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Comment

Those head light lenses are pretty cool!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
        Those head light lenses are pretty cool!
        Thanks! They're from KoogleWerks. He makes a lot of 2002 mods, but does a handful of E30 things as well. All super high quality hand crafted stuff.

Comment

Awwww yeah, M42 goodness. Congrats!

Comment

Ayyyyee, congrats Levy

Comment

Ayyyy. Hell yeah congrats. Kinda feels like I got car of the month also.

Car is looking amazing I'm glad the paint has held up.
              1987 325 Turbo

Comment

Awesome ride! Love that color! Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                  Awwww yeah, M42 goodness. Congrats!
                  Thank you [emoji16] it's not gonna be an M42 for too much longer [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
                    Ayyyyee, congrats Levy
                    Aaaye thanks bud [emoji41] if you haven't gotten the honor of COTM I definitely nominate you if that means anything!

Comment

Originally posted by iso_hi View Post
                      Ayyyy. Hell yeah congrats. Kinda feels like I got car of the month also.

Car is looking amazing I'm glad the paint has held up.
                      Thanks for doing everything you did to make it a better car! It wouldn't be where it is today if not for you, man!

Comment

I dig it
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                        IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Looks sharp!
                          E30 320i vert
                          But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                            I dig it
                            Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
                            Looks sharp!
                            Thanks guys! Everyone here on the forum definitely inspires me to keep it clean :thankyou:

Comment

Been following Ruby’s thread for a while and look at you now!

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              90 Bronzit 325is
                              16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X