Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twright
    replied
    If you decide to not strip it, inspect it very carefully. It is possible for rust to form underneath the factory undercoating.

You can usually find the rust because the undercoating will start to peal or bubble up. If you see those signs, scrap or peal off what's there. The rust shows after removing the undercoating.

Leave a comment:

• econti
    replied
    It depends what condition it's in, and if you plan on driving it on salted roads.
    Down here in Aus I wouldn't bother. I also have a series 2 and the coating on them is better.
    if I were you, I would be inspecting the underside with semi regularity (every few months maybe?) and if you see any stone chips, rust converting them then resealing that small section if need be. If you drive it often.

Leave a comment:

• benwalsh91
    replied
    Originally posted by econti View Post
    I would highly highly recommend not stripping the whole underside if you can avoid it, on my S2 it took me 140 hours of wire wheeling, and that's not 140h of general time, I started the stop watch when I picked up the grinder.
    Neighbours were not happy.
    thanks for the heads up, do you think its worth coating over what's already there then? i guess it comes down to how bad it is under the car when i flip it over, i know for a fact there is no rust so its not like i will be coating over any rust. but it NEEDS to be coated to continue its life now in the UK, i want to drive this car and not have to worry it turning into swiss cheese in the future.

Leave a comment:

• econti
    replied
    I would highly highly recommend not stripping the whole underside if you can avoid it, on my S2 it took me 140 hours of wire wheeling, and that's not 140h of general time, I started the stop watch when I picked up the grinder.
    Neighbours were not happy.

Leave a comment:

• luckybk
    replied
    yeah, this thread keeps giving lots of heartwarming things; the whole roadtrip story, new house, how it was saved from sale during a pandemic--now a cute puppy & attention from bmw itself AND actual project progress...unheard of...

Leave a comment:

• justinpirie
    replied
    So good to have an update, thank you! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• QuiqueUy
    replied
    Originally posted by benwalsh91 View Post

The wheels are Weds Bavaria and rather hard to get hold of. Wouldn’t mind a set in 16s. These are 15s but only 7j iirc
    ohh noice ! i was confused by the polished lip it might be some image wheels or something like that ! they look sweet on pre facelift for sure !

Leave a comment:

• benwalsh91
    replied
    Originally posted by QuiqueUy View Post
    what wheels are those? really like them !
    The wheels are Weds Bavaria and rather hard to get hold of. Wouldn’t mind a set in 16s. These are 15s but only 7j iirc

Leave a comment:

• benwalsh91
    replied
    Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    AWESOME updates! I was just wondering about this car a few weeks ago and BAM - thread updated! :-)
    Haha madness to think that people think about this. But thank you, it’s still here and it will never leave my side. It’s just taking a little bit longer than I would have hoped to get this ball moving but I am happy to take my time and get it to where I want it to be. Also happy that I have managed to get this thread up to date.

Leave a comment:

• QuiqueUy
    replied
    what wheels are those? really like them !

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    AWESOME updates! I was just wondering about this car a few weeks ago and BAM - thread updated! :-)

Leave a comment:

• benwalsh91
    replied
    this brings the story up to date!!

Leave a comment:

• benwalsh91
    replied
    i noticed that my front subframe had a snapped arb mounting plate.

Untitled by ben walsh, on Flickr

so i welded in a new one along with a full reinforcement kit.

i have a kit to do the rear too, this is my first go with a welder and its not the prettiest but its honest work, i then coated it all in etch primer as it was going to sit for a bit before everything went to powdercoat.

two year old us fuel that was sitting in the fuel tank of the e30

when i was pouring this out the fuel tank my neighbour decided to take this moment to come over and have a chat to me (whilst he was smoking)

Now that the car is pretty much fully stripped down the next job is to get it onto the rotisserie, i am in the process of figuring out mounting it to the car itself, i am thinking of using the bumper mounting points.

and here i have the tools to strip the underside down to metal and then i can put on the primer, black schultz and then paint. and we can start making the e30 great again.

oh, also, have this.

Leave a comment:

• benwalsh91
    replied
    So, BMW contacted me as they wanted to run a story on me about my trip, i got 10 page feature in the straight six magazine, was pretty damn cool!!

once the car was stripped i put it back on the dollies and pushed it back over in the corner waiting for the next stage.

i have also since purchased a new daily driver.

enter e46 320 diesel. coupe, black and factory sport. 6 speed manual and black heated leather interior. the car is returning over 40mpg and i am pretty happy with it for now.

Leave a comment:

• benwalsh91
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Your garage looks a lot better than mine, I should really do something about it...

Whats the channel? Some of us also have boring YouTube channels, it is a nice contrast to the exciting ones with all the clickbait.

Keep the progress going, all too often a car gets torn down quickly and then takes forever to build back up. Id recommend getting a whiteboard for the garage to make a list and stare at when you're chillin in there
    haha alrigtht, the channel is just benwalsh91 should hopefully find me. but its not very good but i am trying to be more confident with it.

https://youtu.be/6d257PoL2LM

let me know if the link works

yeah ive got an armchair in there now and i have been considering getting a whiteboard, i have plan in my head on how i am attacking everything and have broken it down into sections. there is some sort of method to my madness.
    Last edited by benwalsh91; 04-06-2021, 11:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X