Daily driver cleanup / project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily driver cleanup / project

I recently bought my first E30. Actually, it’s my first BMW. I’ve had countless volkswagens, but this is new territory for me.

I was somewhat specific with what I wanted. Late model, manual, four door, not bronzite or silver. This is what I ended up with.

I’ve had the car for a couple of weeks now and have already cleaned it up a bit, but obviously it’s a bit rough around the edges to start.

The first thing I needed to address was this fender. Apparently the last owner drove into a chain link fence?

Ended up finding a decent white fender at a dismantler about an hour away from my house.

While I was at the dismantler, I mentioned that I needed some seats. (My cloth comfort seats were ripped to shreds.) They happened to have a pair of black sport seats that had been sitting outside in the sun and rain for years. Was able to pick them up cheap and they were better than what I had.

They cleaned up better than expected. Also threw in an intalvolanti bbs wheel I had laying around while I waited for my new steering wheel to arrive.

I went to go pick up a couple parts from a guy I met in the Facebook groups. Ended up leaving with a new valance, fogs, floor mats, elipsoids, new drivers side grille, matching rear seats, and a spoiler.

Wired in the headlights immediately

Dyed the floor mats black

Most importantly, he had a set of pretty much perfect black sport seats. My friend agreed to buy the ones I got if I bought the second set, so that’s what I did.

New steering wheel arrived

The drivers door was missing trim and pretty badly dented, so I found a replacement.

Paint looked like it hadn’t been cleaned up in a while.

Did a full clay, compound, polish, and wax with the help of my girlfriend

The gray rear deck really didn’t match with the black seats so I took care of that.

Other less exciting things I’ve done is four new speakers and a new head unit. Didn’t bother taking pictures lol

Cars got a long way to go but I’m really enjoying cleaning it up and seeing the progress so far.

Comment

I see a mk2 Jetta in the background... steal the BBS wheels from it! haha
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        I see a mk2 Jetta in the background... steal the BBS wheels from it! haha

I’m actually trying to sell that Gli lol
        Tempted to test fit the Rs’s from my other mk2 though

Comment

what have you done to the engine, brakes & suspension? timing belt?

beautiful restoration.
          welcome to e30s

sent from hell using Tapatalk
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          '90 325i sedan daily driven
          '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
            what have you done to the engine, brakes & suspension? timing belt?

beautiful restoration.
            welcome to e30s

sent from hell using Tapatalk

Have only had the car a couple of weeks, so I haven’t done much yet. Just an oil change the day I got it home. Seems to run great. Brakes will need to be addressed soon. It’s got new suspension but I’d like get some lowering springs. If anyone has any they’d like to sell, please let me know.

Also, being that it’s an m42, it’s got a timing chain correct?

Thank you!

Forgot to post the after picture of the rear deck lid.

Comment

looking good nice work so far

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

Looks good....looking to see more updates.

Comment

That is an impressive start! Despite new to e30s, you know your car stuff obviously.
                  Wouldn't mind seeing more of the mk2, if you have a thread somewhere.
                  Carry on with the good stuff!
                  '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                    looking good nice work so far
                    Thanks!

Originally posted by 325isman View Post
                    Looks good....looking to see more updates.
                    Me too honestly lol

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                    That is an impressive start! Despite new to e30s, you know your car stuff obviously.
                    Wouldn't mind seeing more of the mk2, if you have a thread somewhere.
                    Carry on with the good stuff!
                    I actually have a full build thread on the mk2 on vwvortex.

Or you can follow my instagram @chancemk2

Comment

Went to a muffler shop today to try and take care of the lack of an exhaust on the car

He said I was better off trying to find a muffler from a junkyard rather than going through him because of the brackets that hold it up?

Really hate driving it as is lol
                      Not much else to report aside from my eBay spare keys that came. Was able to get them cut today.

Featuring a keychain that came w the car

Comment

Not super exciting but my sunshade came today. Since the interior is slowly getting nicer, I’d like to keep it that way.

Comment

Nice progress, those seats came out pretty nice.
                          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Guess I can’t post videos here but maybe it will let me post a gif of the interior. I’m very proud

Comment

Grabbed a few things I’ll be installing over the next week or two. Will post about those as I do. In the meantime, I threw a roof rack on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X