Spring cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring cleaning

I haven't detailed the E36 since the month I got it and it was long over due. Palm Beach has severe water restrictions because of our drought so I haven't been washing it a lot lately either. A friend of mine took pictures with my camera as I detailed the car. He didn't start taking pictures til I was done with the body, so there are no pictures of the process.

Add love bug season into the mix and this is what I started with:

The body very close to being finished:

Me polishing the exhaust:

Spot cleaning the rims:

Most of the products (overall cost is more than some have spent on their E30's :loco: ):

Exterior finished, besides adding the trim back on:

Trim installed:

Starting on the interior:

Half way through the interior:

No finished pics since it started raining and we called it a day. But at least she's clean and protected for the summer now.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

I LOVE a freshly detailed car, even e36s. I can't wait to move back home for the summer and do mine (eta DD).
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Good work. The exhaust tips are half black though
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

It doesnt matter how many times you wash and detail it.... it's still an e36. :p
        Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
        EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
        FullOpp Stickers for sale!
        NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
        Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
        ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

There is that saying....how does it go?

Oh ya, you can't polish a turd. :p
          sigpic

Comment

what's that e30 doing in your driveway?

and what are you gonna do w/ that front end? I remember you were talking about some aftermarket lips and such...

I love your paint TJ. that color is sweetness.

Comment

M3 mirriors would make your car look 10X better.

Comment

Front end will be getting an M-tech bumper with who knows what front lip/splitter, but something. I don't really care for M3 mirrors, plus I really don't want to make it look like a complete M3 replica. I'd rather go with some smaller cup mirrors.

RISING EDGE

Comment

looks great man!!!! I love cleaning and detailing the rewards are so worth it. My buddy and I have about the same amount of detailing gear as you haha. If your gonna do it right you got to use the right stuff.

Comment

and the e30 in your driveway...

Comment

what did you use to polish the exhaust tips? I need to do mine..
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

What are you using to clean your rims, TJ? It looks like Purple Power (same thing as Super Clean). If it is, I would stop using that stuff on your wheels. It will start to strip the clearcoat off of the wheels, and then the paint. Right before I took mine in to get powdercoated, the guy at the shop was showing me several areas of where the cleaner was starting to eat through the finish, and I was using it pretty diluted.

On another note, the car is looking very hot! I like the BMW Motorsport inserts in the side trim, too. I wish E30 side moldings were more flat and had a provision for those so we could use them. I always thought they were really cool looking.

Comment

Use BMW wheel cleaner (dealer item). It kicks so much ass, especially the current formula (which only released last year). It's also cheap.

-Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
                            Use BMW wheel cleaner (dealer item). It kicks so much ass, especially the current formula (which only released last year). It's also cheap.

-Jay
                            That's what I've been told by a few others, too. Great thing about powdercoating? ANYTHING comes off with soap and hot water. :D

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              what did you use to polish the exhaust tips? I need to do mine..
                              Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Any metal polish usually works fine though. I got this cause it was only $4-5.

Josh, I was using Purple Power but its really just to spot clean certain spots. I know its harsh and I didn't even dilute it, but its really all that will get off certain stubborn spots. I only use it on the rims once or twice a year. Other wise its just normal car wash soap to clean the rims.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Working...
                              X