Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just hit 170,000km! Trying something a bit different...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just hit 170,000km! Trying something a bit different...

Well I just hit 170,000km on the tach,
    I got the car at 162, a little over 5 months ago, an i gotta say im a little worried about how many k's i put on...
    I just love driving it so much!

Anyway i just set up my paypal account so finally i can by some stuff online...
    -Euro plates
    -ACS rep pedals + footrest
    -Engine start button
    -taylor made floor mats
    -New door lock pins

I just transfered the money to my paypal account, so i can order this stuff in the next couple of days...

The door lock pins, are replacements, as one of mine was damaged while the car was being repaired by BMW bodyshop.
    I cbf'd sorting it out with them so i'm just getting some little branded chrome ones off the bay for cheap.

TRYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT

I was reading a thread a while back about carpet cleaning, where Bill-B mentioned something i have been thinking about for a long time...

Originally posted by Bill-B View Post
    I like how the center looks with out the back half of the console, I have been wanting to take out teh whole center console and jus puting a polished ring around the shifter to keep the carpet down
    My dad has done exactly this in his '85 Porsche, and i started thinking just how i'd go about doing it to the e30...

Maybe its been done before, i dont know, but i have never seen it done,
    So first step, remove the console:

Past (when i bought it):

Present:

Well turns out its real messy under all that console,
    But i spoke to the same guy that did my floor mats, an i can get a center piece tailored to match them.

The idea is for the carpet to cover all the shit under the console (screws, wires, insulation, and imprints etc)
    then make a brushed finish, metal peice to fill the space under the dash.
    Which will be the location of the engine start button.
    suede e-brake cover and e46 m3 style chrome/brushed gear surround...

Concept:

Obviously the concept is still real rough... but you get the picture.

Things to discuss...

-Button location (left, right, center etc)
    -Logo stitching on carpet (like on floor mats... yes/no? location?)
    -Space beneath dash (brushed alloy, black with brushed panel, brushed with black panel?)
    -Chrome gear surround
    ^Dealer quoted $380AU for the part. So who's got ideas for other options?
    Otherwise ill just fab it...

Please dont shit on this idea.
    The plan is that it can all be removed easily, plus it's not going to cost allot...

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

James
    (oh and please excuse the filthy interior)

*edit*
    I was thinking i could reocate the light switches to be on the panel next to the start button...
    (missile switches of course...) just so the button's not so lonely...
    Last edited by JamesE30; 09-10-2007, 06:52 AM.

R.H.D
    M-technic I club

That center console area looks really clean! I like it! Props for trying something different.

jason
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Looks good. Maybe try the filler peice in black like the rest of the dash with a brushed panel and a right starter button location! IMO
      sigpic

Comment

different = win. Well done kanga shagga.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
        RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by tabasco View Post
          That center console area looks really clean! I like it! Props for trying something different.
          Thanks mate! yeh clean's the look i'm going for.

Originally posted by dkmr View Post
          Looks good. Maybe try the filler peice in black like the rest of the dash with a brushed panel and a right starter button location! IMO
          Thanks! Thats exactly what i was thinking earlyer. Really good idea, i'll try an PS something later, my only worry is how to replicate the dash "skin"?

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
          different = win. Well done kanga shagga.
          haha cheers mate.

*edit* 1st post
          Last edited by JamesE30; 09-10-2007, 06:50 AM.

R.H.D
          M-technic I club

Comment

That looks awesome. Where are the window buttons?

Comment

Crank windows...
              Yours truly,
              Rich
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Rigmaster
              you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

I would say wrap the under dash panel in black leather or vinyl. That will match the dash texture fairly well. Also I would think about putting start button on the right close to the driver and maybe running some gauges in the panel. like oil pressure or whatever you want.

Comment

I've thought about removing the center console ever since I saw this picture of Ben's S50 car. This is when it was still Bob's, so I dont know how much has changed--

Comment

This might be too big, but if you can find used Audi TT parts they could work?

Comment

What seats are in there?

Originally posted by vlad
                      Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

That looks real nice I was thinking about doing something along the same lines, but first i'm going to swap out my disgusting carpet. concept looks real good to. Question: for that start button to work, will you need to insert the key and turn it to the 3rd position or will it prime and do everything else another way?

Comment

what seats are those and did it require any modification to fit-i.e. special brackets? i've seen some on flea bay and am thinking of going for it.

Comment

I would want the start button next to the shifter. Looks cool. Cool idea!

"If I were filthy rich I'd still drive my E30."

Comment

I didn't even realize that pic was photoshopped till I looked closer. Looks like a really clean set up you're going for. I agree though that where you have the push start located, there could be use for something else to fill the space so it's not so empty looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X